Gabe Davis - Getting a Bum Rap From Some Fans

jwhit34

Yes, he can make good plays, great plays, amazing plays.  When he's good, he's very, very good.  The problem is, when he's bad, he's terrible.  His big plays are offset by his horrific mistakes.  10% drop rate will kill you (as it has the Bills in a couple losses this year).  I mean, he even bobbled an onside kick that could have been a disaster had a teammate not knocked it out of bounds.

Consistency.

Let me say it again...

Consistency.

This is the problem.  This is why he's getting a "bad rap".  Plain and simple.  Works for a WR3, but too unreliable for a WR2.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Yes, he can make good plays, great plays, amazing plays.  When he's good, he's very, very good.  The problem is, when he's bad, he's terrible.  His big plays are offset by his horrific mistakes.  10% drop rate will kill you (as it has the Bills in a couple losses this year).  I mean, he even bobbled an onside kick that could have been a disaster had a teammate not knocked it out of bounds.

Consistency.

Let me say it again...

Consistency.

This is the problem.  This is why he's getting a "bad rap".  Plain and simple.  Works for a WR3, but too unreliable for a WR2.

And we are coming up on a decision of whether or not we’re going to pay him big money at all factors in

Gabe is a talented player that should have a spot on this offense, he's just not a top tier consistent #2. Both of these things can be true. We have the best QB in the NFL, you can't settle for the 9th best #2 that disappears for games at a time. The Hill-Waddle, Chase-Higgins offense is a reality. If Gabe can't be that top flight #2 next to our very clear, legendary #1, then I hope the Bills find somebody who can be next season. 

To this team's credit I think they tried. It's not just Gabe that's been a bit disappointing, it's more so the Gabe-Knox-Crowder trifecta that's been really disappointing. I think everybody thought one or two of them would take the leap. It just really hasn't happened yet, so you've got to load up again next year however you can with a QB like Allen.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, The Red King said:

Consistency.

Let me say it again...

Consistency.

7 hours ago, Nelius said:

Gabe is a talented player that should have a spot on this offense, he's just not a top tier consistent #2. Both of these things can be true. We have the best QB in the NFL, you can't settle for the 9th best #2 that disappears for games at a time. The Hill-Waddle, Chase-Higgins offense is a reality. If Gabe can't be that top flight #2 next to our very clear, legendary #1, then I hope the Bills find somebody who can be next season. 

To this team's credit I think they tried. It's not just Gabe that's been a bit disappointing, it's more so the Gabe-Knox-Crowder trifecta that's been really disappointing. I think everybody thought one or two of them would take the leap. It just really hasn't happened yet, so you've got to load up again next year however you can with a QB like Allen.

This is getting out of hand.

Gabe is 18th in total yards, 2nd in YPC.  Of his 33 catches, 25 were 1st downs, 5 were TDs.  

He'll get better with more targets. In the past 3 games he's had 22 targets and his catch % is 68.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

This is getting out of hand.

Gabe is 18th in total yards, 2nd in YPC.  Of his 33 catches, 25 were 1st downs, 5 were TDs.  

He'll get better with more targets. In the past 3 games he's had 22 targets and his catch % is 68.

And he is what in total drops?  And how bad did those drops hurt us?  Lack of consistency.

7 minutes ago, The Red King said:

And he is what in total drops?  And how bad did those drops hurt us?  Lack of consistency.

He has 6, tied for most with Higbee and Kelce.

Look, we all get that his drops are up this year.  Throw him more balls and he'll get even better.  He's consistently improving.  His numbers are solid #2 WR.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

He has 6, tied for most with Higbee and Kelce.

Look, we all get that his drops are up this year.  Throw him more balls and he'll get even better.  He's consistently improving.  His numbers are solid #2 WR.  

I'm more supportive of Gabe then a number of people on this thread.  My point is merely this.  The OP suggests the flak he's getting is over-exaggerated and unwarranted.  I disagree, and used his drop percentage as one argument against that assertion.  When he's good, he's amazing.  But when he's bad it hurts this team badly.  He has potential, but until he stops making those key mistakes people are going to be justified in critiquing him.

The expectations some people put on the team this season were astronomical and largely unattainable. 

Gabe is doing...alright. I think the ankle slowed him down more than he'd admit. Hopefully it's all good now. It's a bummer to see him drop a catchable ball once a game, but he's still a young player working his way into a bigger role with the offense. 

Stats and numbers are only one part of the equation, of course. We have no idea how many times plays have been dialed up for him or whatever. 

They're still figuring things out on offense as a whole. First year OC with Dorsey, a new OL coach with an OL that has had to constantly shuffle players due to injury. A third year player (Gabe) trying to take that next step. Dawson Knox's involvement has faded a bit because he's the best all around TE on the roster and has been asked to do a lot more than run routes and catch the ball. Throw in an inconsistent run game (which feels like it's working itself out) and a boatload of injuries and yeah, there are gonna be some bumps in the road. 

8-3, though. And the losses only came after they shot themselves in the foot and didn't execute like they know they can. But this team is slogging through some hard times and quite honestly it's a bit of a bummer to see so many folks doggin' them for it. What'd you expect? 20-0 with every win by at least 30? 

Hopefully it all comes together down the stretch here. 

1 hour ago, The Red King said:

I'm more supportive of Gabe then a number of people on this thread.  My point is merely this.  The OP suggests the flak he's getting is over-exaggerated and unwarranted.  I disagree, and used his drop percentage as one argument against that assertion.  When he's good, he's amazing.  But when he's bad it hurts this team badly.  He has potential, but until he stops making those key mistakes people are going to be justified in critiquing him.

Nah, the OP is right.

He hurts the team badly?

In his last 4 games, Josh has thrown 4 TDs and 5 ints.  In the 3 losses, he has 3 TDs and 4 ints (including the game ending v. ViIkings).   For the season  23 TDs but 11INTs (most in the league).

If you want to talk about the player, when he's "bad" it "hurts the team badly", better start there...

Davis has played OK, I was expecting more but his stats aren’t tragic while his drops are a concern he has had 5 games with more than 65 yards out of 10 games played. That’s pretty in line with WR2 production esp considering he had an injury that really limited him in two games.

It is just that he hasn’t been that WR1A/B that we really wanted him to be. 

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Nah, the OP is right.

He hurts the team badly?

In his last 4 games, Josh has thrown 4 TDs and 5 ints.  In the 3 losses, he has 3 TDs and 4 ints (including the game ending v. ViIkings).   For the season  23 TDs but 11INTs (most in the league).

If you want to talk about the player, when he's "bad" it "hurts the team badly", better start there...

Dropped critical 4th down pass from Josh in the Jets game, which resulted in 1 of the Bills' 3 losses this season?

As I said, when he's good, he's amazing.  When he's bad, it costs the team bad.

7 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Dropped critical 4th down pass from Josh in the Jets game, which resulted in 1 of the Bills' 3 losses this season?

As I said, when he's good, he's amazing.  When he's bad, it costs the team bad.

You listed one game.  I described all 3 losses

47 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You listed one game.  I described all 3 losses

So, causing 33% of the Bills' losses is no big deal?  Goes right up there with a full 10% drop rate, I suppose.  Again, I'm not calling for the guy's head.  I'm just saying there is certainly justification for the flak he's receiving.

• Like (+1) 1

Gabe is a victim of fan expectations like the team is as a whole right now. We wanted him to take the next step, he hasn’t done that yet. His drops in critical situations magnify the issue.  I think he’s a serviceable #2 right now, would like him to make the leap to solid #2. He will never be a 1b receiver many here anticipated. 

3 hours ago, The Red King said:

So, causing 33% of the Bills' losses is no big deal?  Goes right up there with a full 10% drop rate, I suppose.  Again, I'm not calling for the guy's head.  I'm just saying there is certainly justification for the flak he's receiving.

You're pinning the JETS loss on Davis?  

Let's unpack that a bit.  Near the end of the 3rd, Gardner picks off Josh, leading to a TD 80 seconds later and giving the jets the lead. 

Now it's the 4th Q.  Bills punt and the Jets just gash the D on a 12 play (7 1st downs.. 10 runs!), 6 minute drive to kick a FG and take the lead.

Fast  forward to late 4th Q, Bills down by 3.  It's 1st and 20 from their own 15 after a zero gain catch by Diggs (ZERO yards 4th Q on 4 targets) and a hold by Dawkins.  Next, Josh hits Davis for a circus catch on the sideline (aided by poor officiating).  2nd and 2....and Josh gives up the stripe sack fumble---recovered after a loss of 19 yards.  Now it's 3rd and 21, Josh misses Diggs.  4th and 21 from their 14, no TO left, Josh heaves it and Gardner is smothering/faceshielding/pawing Davis.  Incomplete.

Yeah, Davis "caused the Bills to lose" to the (former) NY Zach Wilsons.  

Keep it coming....

9 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

You're pinning the JETS loss on Davis?  

Let's unpack that a bit.  Near the end of the 3rd, Gardner picks off Josh, leading to a TD 80 seconds later and giving the jets the lead. 

Now it's the 4th Q.  Bills punt and the Jets just gash the D on a 12 play (7 1st downs.. 10 runs!), 6 minute drive to kick a FG and take the lead.

Fast  forward to late 4th Q, Bills down by 3.  It's 1st and 20 from their own 15 after a zero gain catch by Diggs (ZERO yards 4th Q on 4 targets) and a hold by Dawkins.  Next, Josh hits Davis for a circus catch on the sideline (aided by poor officiating).  2nd and 2....and Josh gives up the stripe sack fumble---recovered after a loss of 19 yards.  Now it's 3rd and 21, Josh misses Diggs.  4th and 21 from their 14, no TO left, Josh heaves it and Gardner is smothering/faceshielding/pawing Davis.  Incomplete.

Yeah, Davis "caused the Bills to lose" to the (former) NY Zach Wilsons.  

Keep it coming....

He is not the sole cause, but his 4th down drop was a critical, game-killing drop.

Let me ask bluntly.  Are you completely happy with Davis' performance this year right now?  Completely being the key word.

Edited by The Red King

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.