Allen's final throw, bad decision or bad pass?

TwistofFate

10 hours ago, HoofHearted said:

I know based on the other routes in the concept. Football is not complicated.

Plus Dorsey said exactly that in his Monday press conference - double post. 

17 minutes ago, Buftex said:

Should have thrown it to wide open Singletary, who would have gotten at least 8-12 yards (on 2nd & 10), if he hadn't been able to take it all the way. Bad decision.

No he wouldn’t have. 

There is a Minnesota LB about 10 yards off, and another corner 4 yards behind him.

Singletary gets 5-6 yards there.

• Disagree 2

Earlier in the year Josh was taking what the Defense gave him i think on that one & some others especially when he gets behind he tries to go for the big one to much instead of taking whats there & letting his play makers do the rest .

Sure Josh is our number 1 play maker & it all starts with him but he tries to do too much some times he just needs to settle back down it will come back to him !! 

• Like (+1) 1

It was the throw.  Just like it was the throw in the other pick and the throw when he missed Diggs in the EZ and others.  His accuracy was off due to his sore arm I suspect.

He made a lot of good throws but a lot more bad ones than usual.

I have not heard anyone mention this and maybe I'm wrong, but it looked to me his throwing motion was even different than usual.

Edited by reddogblitz

27 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Plus Dorsey said exactly that in his Monday press conference - double post. 

No he wouldn’t have. 

There is a Minnesota LB about 10 yards off, and another corner 4 yards behind him.

Singletary gets 5-6 yards there.

Okay...i'll take 3rd & 5 or 3rd & 4 , over throwing into traffic when it really wasn't necessary.  It wasn't 4th down

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

It was the throw.  Just like it was the throw in the other pick and the throw when he missed Diggs in the EZ and others.  His accuracy was off due to his sore arm I suspect.

He made a lot of good throws but a lot more bad ones than usual.

I have not heard anyone mention this and maybe I'm wrong, but it looked to me his throwing motion was even different than usual.

Plus, I would believe that playing so soon after the injury was in his head.  Totally understandable 

18 hours ago, Buftex said:

Should have thrown it to wide open Singletary, who would have gotten at least 8-12 yards (on 2nd & 10), if he hadn't been able to take it all the way. Bad decision.

At the time Josh made the decision to throw and started to #### his arm, Singletary was still blocking another player.  People see one still shot and one guy claim "Look Singletary was wide open!!!" and dont bother to look at the actual play.  Watch the entire play, not just some guys still shot trying to make himself look like a genius.

19 hours ago, HoofHearted said:

Double Post is a Quarters beater. They had the perfect concept dialed up for the coverage they got. Josh just threw a dud.

Not on that route. Look at the play. In order to hit Davis on target Josh need to throw at exactly when the video is at 0:03. He needs to float the ball over the LB but with enough velocity that it doesn't get picked by the safety int he middle of the field and low enough that Davis can make a play on it. It's a near impossible throw. I can't screenshot it because of the website size limitations, but the window is minuscule between #22 & #7 .

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

Not on that route. Look at the play. In order to hit Davis on target Josh need to throw at exactly when the video is at 0:03. He needs to float the ball over the LB but with enough velocity that it doesn't get picked by the safety int he middle of the field and low enough that Davis can make a play on it. It's a near impossible throw. I can't screenshot it because of the website size limitations, but the window is minuscule between #22 & #7 .

Oh, I meant schematically. Double Post is a Quarters beater. You made a comment in your post that the defense the Vikings called was perfect to stop the play (or something along those lines). They defended it well and Allen should have 100% checked it down.

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

At the time Josh made the decision to throw and started to #### his arm, Singletary was still blocking another player.  People see one still shot and one guy claim "Look Singletary was wide open!!!" and dont bother to look at the actual play.  Watch the entire play, not just some guys still shot trying to make himself look like a genius.

A quarterback who understands the play design understands that Singletary will release late, because the qb knows Singletary will block first.  Josh had good protection, so he had time to see both that the pass defenders had dropped out of the area where Singletary would go.  A qb doing his job in that situation will wait for Singletary to clear and give him the ball.  

• Like (+1) 3

22 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Ultimately, it's McDermott's problem.  His job is to be sure the coaches and players are doing their jobs.   And right now, his coaches and players aren't getting it done, which means McDermott's not getting it done. 

Ultimately it is on McDermott.  The question I have is, has McDermott already addressed this to Dorsey and Allen and nothing has changed.

Dorsey has been described as a "highly intensive" person and we know that Josh can get that way too.  I find it hard to believe that

McDermott, who tends to be a little conservative, hasn't given his input.

The play in question is only one example of how I'm yelling at my TV for them to take what the D is giving.  I seem to be saying that a lot

in the last number of games.

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

A quarterback who understands the play design understands that Singletary will release late, because the qb knows Singletary will block first.  Josh had good protection, so he had time to see both that the pass defenders had dropped out of the area where Singletary would go.  A qb doing his job in that situation will wait for Singletary to clear and give him the ball.  

Josh thought he had a TD.  If he thinks he has a TD he is going to throw it.  Windows are small.  Decisions and actions are split second. If you watch the play from either the redzone look or the behind Josh look the play was actually there.  There was a hole in the endzone and Davis had a step on the defender.  Josh threw the ball behind which allowed the INT to happen.  It was just a bad throw.  That is all.

Edited by Scott7975

15 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Josh thought he had a TD.  If he thinks he has a TD he is going to throw it.  Windows are small.  Decisions and actions are split second. If you watch the play from either the redzone look or the behind Josh look the play was actually there.  There was a hole in the endzone and Davis had a step on the defender.  Josh threw the ball behind which allowed the INT to happen.  It was just a bad throw.  That is all.

No, that is not all.  It's situational football.  The downside of risking a bad throw is MUCH bigger in overtime than in  the second quarter.  Josh has to know the difference and make a better decision.  

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.