Will Kevin McCarthy Be The Speaker Of The House? Or Mitch Senate Majority Leader?

Tiberius

34 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Just like we're not that far removed from a whole bunch of people who supposedly hate Commies worried about the second amendment and the right to own as many guns as they wish and sell them freely later on getting all pissy over an arms dealer being traded for an American being detained in Putin's Communist Russia.

Point of order.  

I don’t understand what this means. 

16 minutes ago, Andy1 said:

Hi Leh-nerd. I’m here and fine. I’m more of a reader than poster. I enjoy your responses. It’s nice that people with unlike minds get to hash out issues here. 

Damn you for your niceness!  It’s kryptonite here!  

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, muppy said:

greetings Leo

so there is division within the republican party. Does this surprise you any? I need to catch up read the thread to be more informed

I’ll summarize:

Someone said something, someone said that was crazy, someone said republicans are all stupid, someone said democrats are all stupid, RedTailHawk done plagiarized and edited my post, Eastern Ohio has season tickets to the WNBA (he’s probably the only one) and Andy, this Andy guy was 🤬 nice to me.  

Cats are eating dogs, dogs are eating cats!  

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Point of order, FIFY should be changed to FIFM. 

Other than that, the debate continues and I understand your perspective.  

I just found out that FIFI at the end of thread is an insult. 

I dont have time to figure out what FIFM means

https://www.dictionary.com/e/slang/fifi/

https://www.quora.com/What-is-a-Fe-Fe-fi-fi-bag-in-Prison-Talk

23 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’ll do it! How hard can it be? 😁

as pelosi showed. just worry about your drip, shade, and clap back and its all good.

20 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I’ll summarize:

Someone said something, someone said that was crazy, someone said republicans are all stupid, someone said democrats are all stupid, RedTailHawk done plagiarized and edited my post, Eastern Ohio has season tickets to the WNBA (he’s probably the only one) and Andy, this Andy guy was 🤬 nice to me.  

Cats are eating dogs, dogs are eating cats!  

lordy, not done plagiarized! I come all the way heres to make some hay.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

lordy, not done plagiarized! I come all the way heres to make some hay.

@muppy  I may also done accused RedTailHawk of things he didn’t do!  I’ll defer to you on this one, I saw what RedTailHawk had done and believed he done misappropriated the words I used and replaced them with his own.  While that is my truth and I hold it dear, if you see it otherwise I withdraw my charge of plagiarism but RedTail is a scoundrel still! 

1 hour ago, nosejob said:

McCarthy is a uniparty RINO. He has done nothing the last 2 yrs.  Never spoke out against the Jan.6 committee holding political prisoners for 2 yrs. Has never said a word about the raid on Trump and former cabinet members, let alone private citizens who happen to be conservatives.

Huh? 

5 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

@muppy  I may also done accused RedTailHawk of things he didn’t do!  I’ll defer to you on this one, I saw what RedTailHawk had done and believed he done misappropriated the words I used and replaced them with his own.  While that is my truth and I hold it dear, if you see it otherwise I withdraw my charge of plagiarism but RedTail is a scoundrel still! 

bless your little heart!  that Greene woman is a fine thing.

hubby says first time in 10 years no speaker voted  with 4 unsuccesful tries?

sounds like a clusterduck to me hermano, Just sayin' 

#GRIDLOCK

@leh-nerd skin-erd

6 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

4th time!  definition of insanity...

I vouch for leo he is mi amigo and makes it plain for me. Politics is not my jam nope lol I lean leftie republican if that makes any sense

• Like (+1) 2

Former president Donald Trump voiced fresh support Wednesday for Kevin McCarthy’s speaker bid, counseling fellow Republicans to “NOT TURN A GREAT TRIUMPH INTO A GIANT & EMBARRASSING DEFEAT.”

Writing mostly in capital letters on Truth Social, his social media site, Trump told House Republicans that “IT’S TIME TO CELEBRATE, YOU DESERVE IT.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/01/04/trump-mccarthy-republicans-speaker/

17 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

I just found out that FIFI at the end of thread is an insult. 

I dont have time to figure out what FIFM means

https://www.dictionary.com/e/slang/fifi/

https://www.quora.com/What-is-a-Fe-Fe-fi-fi-bag-in-Prison-Talk

as pelosi showed. just worry about your drip, shade, and clap back and its all good.

Red typed FIFY, which I believe means Fixed it for You. In that case, I would be you.  I believe that he should have typed FIFM, or Fixed it for Me, me not being me, obviously, but me being him.  Not him Him as in “He HIM”, but him being the me who fixed the text to represent his views, not the you purported to be me.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, muppy said:

hubby says first time in 10 years no speaker voted  with 4 unsuccesful tries?

sounds like a clusterduck to me hermano, Just sayin' 

#GRIDLOCK

@leh-nerd skin-erd

I vouch for leo he is mi amigo and makes it plain for me. Politics is not my jam nope lol I lean leftie republican if that makes any sense

yes, makes perfect sense. I was a registered Rockefeller R before they went nuts.

Edited by redtail hawk
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Red typed FIFY, which I believe means Fixed it for You. In that case, I would be you.  I believe that he should have typed FIFM, or Fixed it for Me, me not being me, obviously, but me being him.  Not him Him as in “He HIM”, but him being the me who fixed the text to represent his views, not the you purported to be me.  

Makes perfect sense to me. Well not me as in Me me but me as in me you.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

he's not right of Atilla the hun and therefore will never be elected speaker.  Oh, and they don't trust him.  Wonder why?

I’m not sure how he gets over the top but I also don’t know who a viable alternative would be. Jordan? Scalise?

This could go on for quite some time. 

7 minutes ago, muppy said:

YEP Ditto.

they are such a thing of the past. like a Pataki R.

Just like the blue dog or Mod DEM.

when politicians represent areas so heavily Nonpolitically diverse, there is no need for compromise. its just getting 51% to agree with you and eff the 49%

• Thank you (+1) 3

Just now, Chris farley said:

when politicians represent areas so heavily Nonpolitically diverse, there is no need for compromise. its just getting 51% to agree with you and eff the 49%

We need serious electoral reform to fix this. No idea how we could pull it off though 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

The Reagan Tip O'Neil type compromise bipartisan deal days are loooooonnnnnggg in the rear view. That ship has sailed and is never coming back in any of our lifetimes. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

I vote my conscience. That is the limit of my personal politico power. The rest is out of my control so I try not to be anxious about things I cannot control

Thank you for your note.

1 minute ago, BillsFanNC said:

The Reagan Tip O'Neil type compromise bipartisan deal days are loooooonnnnnggg in the rear view. That ship has sailed and is never coming back in any of our lifetimes. 

Booo. I get it but I don't like it

Happy New Year hermano. GO BILLS

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, redtail hawk said:

drawing electoral districts geographically would be a good start.

Haha, I have a whole list:

1. Instant Run-Off or Approval Voting: eliminate first past the post voting that leads to a two party system, polarization, and negative partisanship. 
2. Eliminate gerrymandering nationwide

3. Multi-member districts: Each district sends more than one member to the House. Decrease geographic polarization

4. Campaign finance reform: severely restrict corporate funding and PACs in elections

5. Expand the House: The House grew as the country grew for the entire history of the US until 1929. It was supposed to be made up of members of the community, one for every 30,000 people. Now it’s elitists who represent almost 800,000 people each. For most Americans, they have the same relationship as their senators

Actions like those would hopefully destroy the Democratic and Republican parties while returning power to the people instead of the corporate elite. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Geez people!  Here's how it works. McCarthy sits down with the Republican hold-outs and gives them what they want...or some significant assurance/compromise. That's how legislation is made. That's how this will be resolved.

Or he won’t be elected.

46 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

yes, makes perfect sense. I was a registered Rockefeller R before they went nuts.

43 minutes ago, muppy said:

YEP Ditto.

You two lovebirds should get married. 😎  

Rockefeller would be 174 years old if he were alive today.  

The r party has changed since the studebaker was all the rage, and the d party has as well.  

I’m a conservative with socially liberal tendencies who recognizes the abject stupidity of both parties at times.   What appealed to me about Trump was his America first agenda.  I don’t see that as really all that different than the “Buy American” movement of the 1970s by union democrats.  I also tend to believe if you have your own house in order, it’s much easier to help others. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, ChiGoose said:

A strong leader would work across the caucus to inspire confidence and earn votes. 

Say what you will about Pelosi, she managed to get compromises with DemSocs and Blue Dogs. When they put a piece of legislation on the floor, nobody was getting everything they wanted but everyone felt they had been heard and their concerns were met. 

Confusing that with a party just being in lock step following the leader is as weird as looking at what’s happening with the House GOP caucus and thinking it’s because of competent democracy. 

I'm comfortable with the GOP not being in lockstep. Personally, I consider that a good thing.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

I'm comfortable with the GOP not being in lockstep. Personally, I consider that a good thing.

There’s a wide range between “in lockstep” and “utter chaos devoid of serious leadership” and the GOP is currently closer to the latter than the middle. 

Edited by ChiGoose
  • Like (+1) 1