MNF - Bengals @ Browns

EmotionallyUnstable

Last season's drive to the Super Bowl reminds us to never take success for granted.  They rebuilt the O line and the new version is just as bad as last year's.   Bengals secondary is mediocre. The Cincinnati pass rush is inconsistent. They will eked into the play offs and bounce out.  

3 hours ago, Nitro said:

Last season's drive to the Super Bowl reminds us to never take success for granted.  They rebuilt the O line and the new version is just as bad as last year's.   Bengals secondary is mediocre. The Cincinnati pass rush is inconsistent. They will eked into the play offs and bounce out.  

Maybe they can rebuild the oline again next year and after another season of Burrow taking sack after sack people will realize Burrow has garbage pocket awareness.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Nitro said:

Some of us predicted this about the rebuilt oline in the offseason. A washed right tackle, a career backup center and a good, not great, guard. It go way too much hype as makeovers go.

They can't protect. I know they made the Superbowl without being able to protect last year, but that really was an anomoly. You can't play as bad up front as Cincy do and make it work consistently.

16 minutes ago, julian said:

Maybe they can rebuild the oline again next year and after another season of Burrow taking sack after sack people will realize Burrow has garbage pocket awareness.

So some of it is on Burrow, I accept that. But the pass protection is atrocious. Three of the five last night he had no chance. They have an NFL right tackle playing left tackle, a tookie 4th rounder (who most people had going later) at left guard, a career backup at center, a good right guard and a washed up right tackle. It should be no surprise to anyone that they can't pass protect. 

3 hours ago, Ray Stonada said:

How does it work for the other cities in Ohio--do people in Columbus, or Toledo, root for the Browns or Bengals? 

Down here in Dayton area there is a mix. Many older folks root for the Browns since that was their team going back to the 50’s and 60’s. The Bengals started around 1970 so I see many of the under 50 crowd going for the Bengals.

• Thank you (+1) 1

So I heard this on the radio this AM on my morning drive.

The Browns were using 8 OLINE at the same time.  8!!  Can anyone confirm that?

Really a head scratcher kind of game.  Brissett looked amazing last night.  Maybe he wanted to send a message to the masseuse terrorist..

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ray Stonada said:

How does it work for the other cities in Ohio--do people in Columbus, or Toledo, root for the Browns or Bengals? 

Toledo has mostly Detroit sports fans. Columbus is split, but probably more Browns than Bengals. There are Steelers fans throughout the state. There are also Bengals and Reds fans throughout Kentucky.

• Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, wjag said:

So I heard this on the radio this AM on my morning drive.

The Browns were using 8 OLINE at the same time.  8!!  Can anyone confirm that?

Really a head scratcher kind of game.  Brissett looked amazing last night.  Maybe he wanted to send a message to the masseuse terrorist..

Yes they were, I remember a play when they were inside the Bengals 10. Extra one on the line, one in the backfield and one line up wide and going in motion. Some poor DB got stuck with the lineman in motion lol.

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Some of us predicted this about the rebuilt oline in the offseason. A washed right tackle, a career backup center and a good, not great, guard. It go way too much hype as makeovers go.

They can't protect. I know they made the Superbowl without being able to protect last year, but that really was an anomoly. You can't play as bad up front as Cincy do and make it work consistently.

So some of it is on Burrow, I accept that. But the pass protection is atrocious. Three of the five last night he had no chance. They have an NFL right tackle playing left tackle, a tookie 4th rounder (who most people had going later) at left guard, a career backup at center, a good right guard and a washed up right tackle. It should be no surprise to anyone that they can't pass protect. 

I agree, the line isn’t good, the Bengals have to build a top 5 pass protecting unit tif they ever want Burrow to maximize his potential, he just doesn’t have adequate feel to get away with subpar protection.

I’m getting tired of the oline getting 100% of the blame after every game when you can clearly watch him hold onto the ball to long or turn and try to escape right into a sack.

20 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Jonah Williams was beyond bad.   Burrow may not survive the season. 

Should have drafted Penei Sewell. I know Chase is great. He is. But man if your franchise QB takes that many savage hits you are asking for trouble. Burrow takes way more hits than Josh Allen and without the running upside. I get it he holds the ball too long. But the protection sucks. Jonah Williams was never a left tackle in the NFL to me.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.