Always great to remember The ‘87 Halloween Trade! Bennett for Bell and #1 picks

Chandler#81

Dickerson from Rams to Colts & more #1’s involved as well! 
if you thought the drought was bad, we had back to back 2-14 seasons before Levy was hired in ‘86 when the USFL folded and we welcomed Kelly, Norwood, Hull and a couple others to immediately turn around the franchise.

Edited by Chandler#81
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Dickerson from Rams to Colts & more #1’s involved as well! 
if you thought the drought was bad, we had back to back 2-14 seasons before Levy was hired in ‘86 when the USFL folded and we welcomed Kelly, Norwood, Hull and a couple others to immediately turn around the franchise.

It's amazing how many RBs the Rams got through that trade. Bell, Owen Gill, Gaston Green and Cleveland Gary. Sure Bell was good for two seasons but the other guys meh. Meanwhile the Bills used picks Ronnie Harmon and Thurman Thomas to replace Bell. 

• Like (+1) 1

Times were different between then and now.

I think SI did a really good story on the behind the scenes of this.

you did have the instant media around it with twitter in hearing about this as the calls and discussions are going on.

todayDickerson woukd not return a 1st let alone multiple ones.

with the draft slots and shortened time to free agency it’s rare to see high draft hold outs.

24 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

Bennett is kind of the "forgotten Bill" from the great teams of the late 80's and early 90's.  Great player, borderline HOF.  Still amazing that a team with Bruce Smith, Kelly, Thomas, Reed, Bennett, et al. didn't win a Super Bowl.

I agree, Bennett is rarely mentioned but was a key piece of the puzzle. 

I was in a bar in DC just after the trade with a client who knew a lot about football and he brought it up out of the blue and said "Bennett's really good and the Bills will be really good now."  I had my doubts based on where the Bills were at the time but it stuck with me and turned out he was right!  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

Bennett is kind of the "forgotten Bill" from the great teams of the late 80's and early 90's.  Great player, borderline HOF.  Still amazing that a team with Bruce Smith, Kelly, Thomas, Reed, Bennett, et al. didn't win a Super Bowl.

Because he's a sexual assaulting POS.

Bennett's debut with the Bills, 11/8/1987. Was at that game. It was amazing to see the Bills defense change into a pack of crazed dogs as soon as they bookended Bruce and Biscuit at the edges.

16:00 - First snap, 3rd down. Forces Elway into throw across LOS, penalty, loss of down, punt.

27:30 - Second snap, 3rd down. Instant pressure forces incompletion, punt.

45:40 - Third snap, a run away from Bennett's side.

52:20 - Fourth snap, 3rd down, pressure on Elway, holding penalty Denver.

53:30 - Fifth snap, 3rd down, Bruce gets the pressure, incomplete, punt.

34:50 - Deep threat Jim Kelly.

Edited by Ralonzo

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.