Draft/rookie contract idea for bye week

Snappysnackcakes

Hear me out…it’s bye-week and I’m bored

Teams always jump on those last few picks of the first round, because they want to be able to  lock a player up for that additional year of control over their rights - that 5th year. Let’s say we allow teams to offer players a salary slot of the last pick of the 1st round to all players drafted, (after round 1, of course) so that they hold their rights for the additional year, and the player is compensated “fairly” for allowing the team to do-so. When guys fall and in the intro press conference, when you hear the inevitable “we had a first round grade on…” they can prove it. 

Sincerely,

Snappy Snackcakes

Protector of The Realm

Go Bills

I certainly believe you are bored Snappey. And demonstrating I must be bored as well since I read your post.

Issues with your concept are 1) what does the team getting the extra "slot"  have to give up in terms of draft picks  2) what player would want to get locked up in a longer rookie contract..

Edited by RoyBatty is alive

4 minutes ago, Snappysnackcakes said:

My God yes they are. 

I’m partial to any cakes with custard.  What are your favorite type of cakes?  

also, the word “cake” is improper English.  It should always be pronounced “cakes”

Threads like these really make me wish we had gotten our free Madden codes by now...

On-topic, I think it would be a tough sell to the NFLPA, and the owners would probably have to give something up to get it.  Additionally, a big part of why the current rookie pay system was put in place was to prevent contract hold outs (or more precisely huge contracts for unproven rookies to avoid those holdouts) - I could see players holding out to avoid this.

Edited by Captain Caveman

2 hours ago, Snappysnackcakes said:

Hear me out…it’s bye-week and I’m bored

Teams always jump on those last few picks of the first round, because they want to be able to  lock a player up for that additional year of control over their rights - that 5th year. Let’s say we allow teams to offer players a salary slot of the last pick of the 1st round to all players drafted, (after round 1, of course) so that they hold their rights for the additional year, and the player is compensated “fairly” for allowing the team to do-so. When guys fall and in the intro press conference, when you hear the inevitable “we had a first round grade on…” they can prove it. 

Sincerely,

Snappy Snackcakes

Protector of The Realm

Go Bills

Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

40 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m more of a pie guy, myself. 

Haha.  I have a buddy that detests cakes and LOVES pie.  Kinda like the Bills are Pie and the Pats are cakes.  

i don’t discriminate- I love pie too.  My favorite being poontang pieThe Rock Burn GIF by SafemoonOfficial

It's an interesting idea.  Not sure either side would want or go for it.  But if they did, the appeal from the NFLPA side would be that the 5th year options are fully guaranteed.  Obviously for a 2nd round pick who became a breakout star, that still represents a pay cut.  But if a 5th-year option was added across the board, setting it to the 32nd pick at least makes it somewhat "fair" for the player.

I think the problem is that most teams have a pretty good idea of a player's upcoming market value, and they would only pick up the 5th year option if it represented a pay cut.  So like others have said, this would be something the NFLPA would fight against.  Having said that:  Sports unions are often willing to bargain away the rights of undrafted players (who aren't actually union members yet).  So if the proposal didn't apply to guys currently on rookie contracts, but only future draft classes, it could potentially be on the table.

44 minutes ago, Cash said:

It's an interesting idea.  Not sure either side would want or go for it.  But if they did, the appeal from the NFLPA side would be that the 5th year options are fully guaranteed.  Obviously for a 2nd round pick who became a breakout star, that still represents a pay cut.  But if a 5th-year option was added across the board, setting it to the 32nd pick at least makes it somewhat "fair" for the player.

I think the problem is that most teams have a pretty good idea of a player's upcoming market value, and they would only pick up the 5th year option if it represented a pay cut.  So like others have said, this would be something the NFLPA would fight against.  Having said that:  Sports unions are often willing to bargain away the rights of undrafted players (who aren't actually union members yet).  So if the proposal didn't apply to guys currently on rookie contracts, but only future draft classes, it could potentially be on the table.

So my idea is that they have to designate them before they sign the original contract, and the 5th year becomes and option, BUT the player also gets the much higher salaries of a first rounder in the original contract. The 5th year options are not lowball 1 year contracts, either. Look at what Terrell is making this year and what Oliver is making next…it’s good money. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.