Bills committing offensive turnovers on almost 16% of their drives, 5th highest in the NFL

Big Turk

3 minutes ago, Beast said:

It would be lower and we’d still have the same record of 5-1.

However, was it Allen’s fault or McKenzie’s for the turnover on Sunday?

It's 100% on McKenzie. The pitch is obviously one of the options on that play, which means McKenzie needs to be ready for it. He purposely stays behind Allen so it would be a backwards pitch instead of a forward pass. So, he was in the correct position, just wasn't looking for the ball. Really strange, honesty.

Could be they ran it a bunch in practice and Allen never pitched it, but that's no excuse. If a pitch is one of the options, he needs to be ready.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Bills fans are going to spend the next two weeks picking apart stats to find reasons that the team is not really as good as their record indicates. In fact, by the time the next game kicks off on Sunday night, there will be many on here that will be convinced that the Jets have passed the Bills.

I am actually doing the opposite.  I am saying that we could be far better than the juggernaut we already are. I think you should re-read what I actually wrote instead of skimming over it and making assumptions.

3 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Best ways to stop the Bills offense:

1. Convince them to focus on "establishing the run"

2. Make them fumble

3. get behind by 20+ points so #1 and #2 are easier 

Allow the Bills backups and Case Keenum to get in the game?

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Mafioso said:

The pitch in the KC game was a poor and unnecessary play call, IMO.  The Bills were moving the ball at will until that play.  That being said, I'm not sure it's Josh's responsibility to make sure McKenzie is making eye contact / looking for the ball before he pitches it.  I would argue that it's McKenzie's fault for not keeping an eye on the ball to potentially come his way on a designed option play.  What other purpose was McKenzie serving if he isn't keeping an eye on the ball?  

I agree with that.  Why was McKenzie there if he wasn't an option, unless it was only to draw the defense to him and allow Allen a running lane.

Just now, TheFunPolice said:

we're basically stopping ourselves....

as soon as it's "show time" the offense goes right down the field and scores

Sometimes I feel like this team gets bored and likes challenging itself because it's too easy otherwise.  Then in some games they are like "Nah, we will just kick your ass so we can sit down in the 4th today"

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I agree with that.  Why was McKenzie there if he wasn't an option, unless it was only to draw the defense to him and allow Allen a running lane.

Sometimes I feel like this team gets bored and likes challenging itself because it's too easy otherwise.  Then in some games they are like "Nah, we will just kick your ass so we can sit down in the 4th today"

watching Denver/LA last night was like a different sport...

Bills (barring more major injuries or something flukey) when healthy are going to obliterate some NFC team in the SB. 

Think about the realistic possibilities... (whose even good in the NFC outside of 1-2 teams?)

Bills/Eagles

Bills/Vikings

Bills/Cowboys?

Bills/49ers?

any of those 4 games I would expect a 20+ point Bills win because Allen and co. are not going to the bench in the SB no matter what the score is

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

watching Denver/LA last night was like a different sport...

Bills (barring more major injuries or something flukey) when healthy are going to obliterate some NFC team in the SB. 

Think about the realistic possibilities... (whose even good in the NFC outside of 1-2 teams?)

Bills/Eagles

Bills/Vikings

Bills/Cowboys?

Bills/49ers?

any of those 4 games I would expect a 20+ point Bills win because Allen and co. are not going to the bench in the SB no matter what the score is

We get to see Bills/Vikings during the regular season and I think the Vikes get smoked.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Big Turk said:

I am actually doing the opposite.  I am saying that we could be far better than the juggernaut we already are.

I wasn't calling you out directly. It was just a general point. But to respond to this, we do turn the ball over too much. We also get a lot of TOs. The Bills play a high risk brand of football. So long as the TO differential stays in the positive, we'll be OK.

28 minutes ago, Beast said:

It would be lower and we’d still have the same record of 5-1.

However, was it Allen’s fault or McKenzie’s for the turnover on Sunday?

McKenzie didn’t even look for the ball after the fake handoff. We won’t know what the actual play was, but it seemed like Allen knew where the ball was going and McKenzie didn’t. 

but didnt Mckenzie’s int against the phins end up as a TD? Let’s also not mention his lack of getting out of bounds, or going down quickly to kick the FG. Which isn’t a turnover, but you brought up we’d still be 5-1 and I’m not so sure about that. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Something doesn't jive with those stats.  The Bills score or have a turnover on 62% of their possessions.  Which means they are punting on the other 38%.  Doesn't seem right, when you look at the punting stats and the Bills have only punted 11 times.

There have been turnovers on downs too.

3 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Something doesn't jive with those stats.  The Bills score or have a turnover on 62% of their possessions.  Which means they are punting on the other 38%.  Doesn't seem right, when you look at the punting stats and the Bills have only punted 11 times.

Bills also have not converted on 4 fourth down attempts, have kicked 9 field goals and who knows how many kneel downs for the half and end of game

Hasn't been an issue yet, but deep down this is a concern that could cost this team when it matters most in the playoffs.

The good news is we have hopefully already solved one of those problems benching Moss (hopefully for good) and next should be 'Lil turnover' McKenzie whose been the a drive killer for years now.

50 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Could you imagine how good the Bills would be if they would stop with these silly turnovers?  I was surprised when I saw how much they actually turn the ball over...I am not sure what the remedy is, it usually comes on careless type plays.  Almost like they think they are so good, they can just try whatever and it will still work out.  Like the McKenzie pitch in the KC game...he wasn't even looking for the ball and Allen still pitched it...

Only 4 teams with a higher percentage of their offensive drives ending in TO's...Rams, Patriots, Saints and Colts.  

The only teams with 4 wins or more that have turned the ball over at a higher rate than 8.8% of their offensive drives are the Bills and Jets.  Scary to think how good they could be on offense if they stop turning the ball over.

Bills average an NFL best 6.6 Yards/Play, 7.6 Net Yards/Pass Attempt, Score on 46% of our drives, 3rd to Las Vegas and KC and have the highest Expected Points from offense in the NFL at 81.35.

This juggernaut could become even better. that's a scary thought.

image.thumb.png.85315ea5a4b56886fae1b5782a2af061.png

Gotta clean it up!! Believe opponents see that. Could be the difference in making the Super Bowl

29 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Bills fans are going to spend the next two weeks picking apart stats to find reasons that the team is not really as good as their record indicates. In fact, by the time the next game kicks off on Sunday night, there will be many on here that will be convinced that the Jets have passed the Bills.

Debbie Downers and Sullivan Suckers have been a large part of posters since this board was formed.  They are like ostriches sticking heads in holes everytime Bills have a great game.  Wish some guillotines (disabled of course) were put in some of those holes.  

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Nope, they turn it over on downs as much as they punt probably, but that is NOT the same as a turnover.

11 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

I wasn't calling you out directly. It was just a general point. But to respond to this, we do turn the ball over too much. We also get a lot of TOs. The Bills play a high risk brand of football. So long as the TO differential stays in the positive, we'll be OK.

They do, but they also have made too many silly mistakes that aren't from taking chances, just from dumb plays or being careless.  That's what I want to see them specifically clean up. I'm fine with high risk football, but high risk doesn't mean careless or silly.

8 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Hasn't been an issue yet, but deep down this is a concern that could cost this team when it matters most in the playoffs.

The good news is we have hopefully already solved one of those problems benching Moss (hopefully for good) and next should be 'Lil turnover' McKenzie whose been the a drive killer for years now.

Well...it may have been in Miami...that sack/strip leading to the Fins first TD might have won them the game in the end.

Edited by Big Turk

9 minutes ago, mrags said:

McKenzie didn’t even look for the ball after the fake handoff. We won’t know what the actual play was, but it seemed like Allen knew where the ball was going and McKenzie didn’t. 

but didnt Mckenzie’s int against the phins end up as a TD? Let’s also not mention his lack of getting out of bounds, or going down quickly to kick the FG. Which isn’t a turnover, but you brought up we’d still be 5-1 and I’m not so sure about that. 

They said the options on that play were screen to the other side, handoff, or Josh run with the football.  McKenzie messed up by not falling on the ball.  Josh messed up by improvising to a player not expecting it and not looking.  Thats what happened.  Nobody needs to make up narratives because we were told by the players/coaches what happened.

10 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

As much as I dont like your posting, I am agreeing with you on this one.  They need to clean this up.  Eventually it will bite them and they wont be able to come back from it.  In the playoffs especially even one mistake can cost the game.  Also agree on Moss.  Been banging that drum for two years.  

I dont think McK needs to be benched completely.  They need to give Shakir more looks and use McK back more in the Jet sweep type stuff that use to kill defenses.  Not sure why they got rid of that.  Not only the Jet sweep itself but it set up a lot of other good plays from the fakes.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.