Bills committing offensive turnovers on almost 16% of their drives, 5th highest in the NFL

Big Turk

It sometimes feels like our offense plays a little too loose. I guess that's what naturally happens when you're so dominant compared to your opponent, you're having such an easy go of it that you get a little lax with the fundamentals. And defenses playing against us have the opposite mindset, they are totally locked in on every snap because they know that they have to be. I bet when playoff football comes around this problem will miraculously disappear as everybody on the offense gets into a Super Bowl mindset.

• Like (+1) 1

As DaBillsFanSince1973 keeps saying at least in my threads....

"They won the game"

So why care???

A concern, but 4 were vs. the Rams and they have not converted some 4th downs.

As others have said, this team is scary good and still have room to improve just by tightening up on their mistakes (many mental).

It’s pretty crazy that they were able to go into Arrowhead, fumble in the red zone and then have McKenzie get shot by a sniper on a 4th down would-be TD Pass and still go on to win the game.. 

Its definitely worth noting that as great as this team is, they do make a-lot of correctable mistakes. 

• Agree 1

I’ve gotta say, this stat is not worrying me at all.  Josh only has four picks in six games — one that McKenzie dropped (Rams), one that was tipped (Ravens), and two very good plays by defenders (Rams, Steelers).  If there is anything I’d like them to focus on it is red zone TD conversion, which has been mediocre.

And let’s face it, they’re scoring at a great clip which mitigates many of the miscues.  I love McD’s aggressiveness on 4th downs.

We’re really just nitpicking, which is what I presume the coaches and players are also doing.  The bye week is a great time to review all of that, evaluate tendencies, and make adjustments for the rest of the season.

17 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Something doesn't jive with those stats.  The Bills score or have a turnover on 62% of their possessions.  Which means they are punting on the other 38%.  Doesn't seem right, when you look at the punting stats and the Bills have only punted 11 times.

You're forgetting about the other ways drives end.

43.2 scoring percent (27 TD or FG) 

15.9 percent turnover (10 INT or fumble)

17.4 % punts (11 punts on 63 drives)

4 failed 4th downs.

It leaves 9 unaccounted for, which are end of half/end of game kneel down drives in all likelihood. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Limeaid said:

More drives, more turnovers.  Have less drives and will have less turnovers.

That logic doesn't work since we are talking about percentage of drives which are equal regardless of how many drives you have, meaning if you have more drives you are allowed more turnovers for the same percentage.  If we were talking only about the number of turnovers, then yes, that would make sense.  In this case it does not apply.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Big Turk said:

The tipped ball issue is a thing...Herbert led the NFL in those last year with 17, Allen was 2nd with 16.

This year he is tied with Mayfield for 12, although Allen has 80+ more attempts, which means he is on pace for 34 foe the year which woukd be more than double his total from last year.

Not sure if it's bad luck, him making quicker, shorter throws allowing the DLine to get their hands up or maybe something else...

Wonder if someone in the media will ask McD or Dorsey about this...

It was my understanding that tipped passes at the line of scrimmage is on the oline. They are supposed to keep the dline from getting their hands up. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

1 hour ago, MikeSpeed said:

It was my understanding that tipped passes at the line of scrimmage is on the oline. They are supposed to keep the dline from getting their hands up. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Well, if that is the case then the Bills OLine historically sucks at it so far this year. Allen is on pace to shatter the NFL record for tipped balls which is 23 set in 2006 with 34.

Edited by Big Turk

11 hours ago, Big Turk said:

The one area Allen has really done a great job working on and cleaning up are the fumbles he has the first few years while running with the ball.

I can't remember the last time he fumbles on one of those.

They used to happen quite a bit.

Agree. He has gotten much better when running. 

QBs usually have high fumble rates because they get tagged with the fumble on botched snaps and handoffs in addition to strip sacks. Which of course makes no sense. Why doesn't the center get tagged with the fumble since he was the last one to possess the ball which is the reason why QB/RB lost exchanges are credited to the QB??? 

17 hours ago, Dopey said:

Last year it was “we played a bunch of crappy qbs ,our defense isn’t that good “. 

Well that was true. Sorry if you don't want to believe it. Its a new season. The defensive line has three new starters. They are much better stopping the run and QB pressures are now sacks.  Edmunds is playing much better than last year, and the young DBs are playing well. 

6 fumbles in 6 games is not good. Is it a fluke or is it a real issue? Only time will tell but my guess is they will get it cleaned up.

the two things that i've seen that could lead to the downfall of this team are redzone O and being careless w the ball (i'd say tipped passes are part of that).

that's why we lost to miami.  kicking FGs on 4th and not getting cute could have lead us to a comfortable win.  i get we want to be aggressive and all that, but we have to consider that our D is the best in the nfl, and having a sick point margin is great, but i think we'd happily exchange being + 95 (which is shocking in 6 games, madden on the easy level type stuff) for being 6-0 instead of 5-1

22 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Well that was true. Sorry if you don't want to believe it. Its a new season. The defensive line has three new starters. They are much better stopping the run and QB pressures are now sacks.  Edmunds is playing much better than last year, and the young DBs are playing well. 

6 fumbles in 6 games is not good. Is it a fluke or is it a real issue? Only time will tell but my guess is they will get it cleaned up.

I was replying to the quote below:

"Bills fans are going to spend the next two weeks picking apart stats to find reasons that the team is not really as good as their record indicates. In fact, by the time the next game kicks off on Sunday night, there will be many on here that will be convinced that the Jets have passed the Bills." 

Whether I believe it or not, has nothing to do with my post. I agreed with the poster and offered up an example form last year. 

In case you're wondering, I'm a firm believer in "we are as good as our record says we are". So, no I don't go along with that theory of a weak schedule of QB's last year. That's total Bull💩 for a negative Nancy. 

Oh, IMO.

Luckily the coaching staff does not agree with the there's nothing to worry about attitude.   That attitude gets you eliminated early on the playoffs.

I am almost certain that cleaning up the sloppy turnovers will be a main focus of the coaching staff over the bye week.  They have already started addressing the short yardage issues by bringing back the qb sneak.  Who knows? They might even be trying to figure out how to cut down on tip passes.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.