Bills committing offensive turnovers on almost 16% of their drives, 5th highest in the NFL

Big Turk

3 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

They said the options on that play were screen to the other side, handoff, or Josh run with the football.  McKenzie messed up by not falling on the ball.  Josh messed up by improvising to a player not expecting it and not looking.  Thats what happened.  Nobody needs to make up narratives because we were told by the players/coaches what happened.

So that was kinda like the play in the Houston playoff game where he is running and tries to pitch it to Knox basically?

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, MJS said:

I don't think it is because they think they are too good. These turnovers seem to always come in the beginning of the games. The team seems to take a bit to get used to the physicality and game plan of the opposing defense. They are the team to beat, so they are getting the absolute best effort from every team, every week.

The more and more they play, the more they will get used to being the team everyone wants to beat.

Also, it could just be we have players who are a little turnover prone. Bill Belichick always prioritized smart system players who took care of the football and played fundamentally sound, even if that meant sacrificing some athleticism and upside.

I think Beane has prioritized upside, but we have some players who lack some consistency and fundamentals. So, one one hand, mistakes are going to be made, but on the other, they have explosive players who can score at any time. With the current cast of characters I think we will always experience a little volatility in the ebbs and flows of a game and week to week. That's just who they are. I'm fine with that, because the upside is so high.

For sure, and the team has been loser with the ball in the first half of seasons going back a few years now. As the year grinds on, the turnovers have gone down. 

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

Stop fumbling. Problem solved.

I mentioned earlier how impressed I was with the way Motor was protecting the ball last game when making contact with defenders.

Watching him fall to the ground with both arms wrapped around the rock made me proud.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

So that was kinda like the play in the Houston playoff game where he is running and tries to pitch it to Knox basically?

By description I heard it was something similar.  Ill just call it improvising.  Not absolving McK at all here.  Just saying the play options we were told was screen to other side, hand off, or Josh run with it.

3 hours ago, Mafioso said:

The pitch in the KC game was a poor and unnecessary play call, IMO.  The Bills were moving the ball at will until that play.  That being said, I'm not sure it's Josh's responsibility to make sure McKenzie is making eye contact / looking for the ball before he pitches it.  I would argue that it's McKenzie's fault for not keeping an eye on the ball to potentially come his way on a designed option play.  What other purpose was McKenzie serving if he isn't keeping an eye on the ball?  

Are we sure that's even in the play? and not Josh doing one of the reckless Josh things?  

Jet motion, read-option, with a speed option pitch?  What the hell kind of play is that?

2 hours ago, mrags said:

McKenzie didn’t even look for the ball after the fake handoff. We won’t know what the actual play was, but it seemed like Allen knew where the ball was going and McKenzie didn’t. 

but didnt Mckenzie’s int against the phins end up as a TD? Let’s also not mention his lack of getting out of bounds, or going down quickly to kick the FG. Which isn’t a turnover, but you brought up we’d still be 5-1 and I’m not so sure about that. 

He did not need to get out of bounds what he needed to do versus Miami was turn up field get down as quick as possible and there was plenty of time to spike the ball and set up the field goal. Seeing Butker hit an easy 62 yarder you would think Bass in Miami and humid conditions has plenty of leg to kick 57-58

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Could you imagine how good the Bills would be if they would stop with these silly turnovers?  I was surprised when I saw how much they actually turn the ball over...I am not sure what the remedy is, it usually comes on careless type plays.  Almost like they think they are so good, they can just try whatever and it will still work out.  Like the McKenzie pitch in the KC game...he wasn't even looking for the ball and Allen still pitched it...

Only 4 teams with a higher percentage of their offensive drives ending in TO's...Rams, Patriots, Saints and Colts.  

The only teams with 4 wins or more that have turned the ball over at a higher rate than 8.8% of their offensive drives are the Bills and Jets.  Scary to think how good they could be on offense if they stop turning the ball over.

Bills average an NFL best 6.6 Yards/Play, 7.6 Net Yards/Pass Attempt, Score on 46% of our drives, 3rd to Las Vegas and KC and have the highest Expected Points from offense in the NFL at 81.35.

This juggernaut could become even better. that's a scary thought.

image.thumb.png.85315ea5a4b56886fae1b5782a2af061.png

Yea it almost seems like every game in the beginning we have a stupid turnover of some sorts

Just now, gobills404 said:

Bills have fumbled 10 times and he’s responsible for 1 of them. If anybody needs to be told to stop fumbling it’s Josh.

Anybody that doesn’t think he’s had issues hanging onto the ball this season is delusional 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, gobills404 said:

Bills have fumbled 10 times and he’s responsible for 1 of them. If anybody needs to be told to stop fumbling it’s Josh.

In fairness anything snap or handoff related gets put on the QB. Chiefs fumble went to Josh. The two miss snaps from back up centers, goes to Josh. How about the INT McKenzie gifts Rams in opening game off his own chest? Also went on Josh.

Im not a McKenzie hater, he had a bad game but I dont think he should be cut. Just showing the stats are a bit skewed.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PolishPrince said:

In fairness anything snap or handoff related gets put on the QB. Chiefs fumble went to Josh. The two miss snaps from back up centers, goes to Josh. How about the INT McKenzie gifts Rams in opening game off his own chest? Also went on Josh.

Im not a McKenzie hater, he had a bad game but I dont think he should be cut. Just showing the stats are a bit skewed.

I don’t think he should be cut either. Just that his offensive opportunities should be limited. At this point he’s going to cost us a game. Leave him to end arounds, jet sweeps, other gadget plays, and maybe some 4 or 5 wr sets. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.