Did we just teach the NFL how to defend against KC?

PrimeTime101

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Hard to find another Milano or Poyer as well...teams might have one of these types of players, but rarely are they stacked with 4 or 5 of them on the field at the same time.

we have the combo of smart and athletically talented players.  Very hard to replicate across an entire D like we have.  

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

We taught the NFL how to defend against Lamar, so we might be kinda good at figuring things out like that.

Yes I remember the last time they scored less than 20.  It was in week 3 when they lost to Indy 20-17.

Having KC screw up royally and repeatedly, as they did against Indy, is not a strategy.  Beating KC when they're playing well is another matter.  That DID require a creative and well-installed defensive strategy.

It will be interesting to see if any of the Bills defenders get selected for the Pro Bowl, let alone All-Pro.  The stupid and lazy electors just look at sacks and interceptions, and as a result the Bills D has never gotten the recognition its personnel deserved.  This year, Von Miller and Jordan Poyer are probably getting penciled in, but Matt Milano won't get enough votes except from the teams the Bills beat.

3 minutes ago, Utah John said:

Having KC screw up royally and repeatedly, as they did against Indy, is not a strategy.  Beating KC when they're playing well is another matter.  That DID require a creative and well-installed defensive strategy.

It will be interesting to see if any of the Bills defenders get selected for the Pro Bowl, let alone All-Pro.  The stupid and lazy electors just look at sacks and interceptions, and as a result the Bills D has never gotten the recognition its personnel deserved.  This year, Von Miller and Jordan Poyer are probably getting penciled in, but Matt Milano won't get enough votes except from the teams the Bills beat.

Kind of like the Dolphins strategy against us...with a major assist from the sun, heat and humidity. Strange they happened on the same day.

31 minutes ago, MarkyMannn said:

Yeah there also was a play where Kelce pushed off at the line and amazingly got called for it

That was (a) something Kelce does all the time, and (b) something he's really good at doing just not quite enough to get called for, and (c) a good call when it happened.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Absolutely-  but we would have lost that game without Von imo.

He is exactly who we hoped he would be.
  It almost seemed surreal watching his moves on the final pic. The o lineman bites and then freezes on the outside juke and he just cut in and around😂😂😂

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I also think that while in theory, the Chiefs did the right thing to trade Hill and re-stock with quality FA receivers in JJSS and MVS - they are NOT 100% on the same page with Mahomes yet.

I think it was an awful move and they are suffering for it. Hill is leading the NFL in receiving yards despite playing with 3 different limited QBs in Miami. The Chiefs replaced him with two average receivers. And rather than use the resulting draft picks to restock their offense, they drafted 2 defensive players. They're still amazing because of Mahomes and Kelce but they aren't nearly as scary as they were in the past. I will never understand why the Chiefs and Titans deliberately hurt themselves but I'm certainly thankful for it. Also thankful that we did the right thing and extended Diggs.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

2020 the second last week we played the Ravens, a team no one could really stop on the ground. that year in the playoffs the Titans even though they lost said they learned from Buffalo how to defend Baltimore. Baltimore really has not been the same since.

Did we just teach defenses... good defenses around the league how to defend KC?

Thoughts?

Maybe Leslie will get the credir he deserves.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Fetou said:

A lot of keeping KCs scoring contained is keeping the chains moving on offense ourselves. Half the league can't seem to achieve the elusive first down (let alone a touchdown) so I'm not sure how much success they will have.

We also have a lot of talent and athleticism up front that is hard to replicate for lesser teams

Other teams just go in and score on the Chiefs. 

So, the Raiders went in and scored 29, and really should have had 30. 

The Chargers put 24 on them without Keenan Allen. 

I do think the Bills tend to play very tight against Kansas City. 

But against the Chiefs we get a lot of how to solve Steve Spagnuolo, blitzes, physical corners, and you're going to hear the line they didn't have Fenton, McDuffie, Gay on the field. So, the Bills may have a harder time still moving the ball the next time around. 

So bear with me on this one because there is history on us doing this.

2020 the second last week we played the Ravens, a team no one could really stop on the ground. that year in the playoffs the Titans even though they lost said they learned from Buffalo how to defend Baltimore. Baltimore really has not been the same since.

Now i get it. Mahomes will always be Mahomes. will be a top tier QB for a long time... 

BUT

Does anyone remember the last time KC scored 20 or less points in a game?

to be continued.

Thoughts?

maybe. However most teams don’t have the caliber of players the Bills do to execute such a plan.

So bear with me on this one because there is history on us doing this.

Now i get it. Mahomes will always be Mahomes. will be a top tier QB for a long time... 

BUT

Does anyone remember the last time KC scored 20 or less points in a game?

to be continued.

Thoughts?

Indy held them to 17 a couple weeks ago…. 
while I do think we showed everyone how to stop Lamar and it’s true he hasn’t been the same since I don’t think we were that great this game. We played KC at KC last year and that game we really embarrassed them plus we beat them up. The score did not reflect our utter domination of them…..

I thought for sure we were going to do it again this time and I did not like the way we played till the end. I think the offense should have done better and the defense should have done better. We both played rookie CBs but ours are upper NFL level and theirs’ we’re scrubs. I thought Josh was going to kill them. We seemed to be screwing around on both sides of the ball to me…. We could have run more plays that isolated those CBs on our receivers one one one but it seemed we only did it three times. 
On defense we were screwing around too. I hate it when we play that let’s try to box him in and not actually try to rush him. You give him all kinds of time. At the end, we rushed him, and threw an interception, you rush Mahomes to beat him. You just can’t blitz unsuccessfully. If the chefs pick it up you’re done…You’ve got to be very intelligent with your pass rush. 
Sometimes Leslie drives me nuts!

Yet he has those damn rankings, I don’t think you can really argue with his rankings….and this year we can stop the run. Maybe we were taking the run with those weird rushes? IDK? Gotta love Leslie’s rankings.

You also gotta consider the whole braintrust that put this D together and developed it. McBeane has got a ton to do with it even though he states it is Leslie’s D I didn’t see Leslie looking intently at Ed Oliver at his pro day. It was McD….

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.