WR Playing Time Going Forward

Warriorspikes51

What are your thoughts on this receiving group going forward?

Assuming McKenzie is healthy next week, Shakir looks to have earned getting significant snaps.  He's already shown he can line up in the slot or outside.   
When Diggs or Davis need a play or two off, Shakir takes those snaps. He can also split time with Isaiah in the slot.   

In 10 Personnel :  Diggs, Davis, McKenzie, Shakir

Let's say we go "all in" and acquire another weapon at WR in the next month, whether it's OBJ or someone unexpected via trade. 
I believe this is sensible as both added insurance and also to make this team even more unstoppable. 

Diggs
Davis

*Sign/Trade

Mckenzie
Shakir

Kumerow 

Hodgins 

Stevenson
Gentry

A bit of intrigue would be if Marquez Stevenson is healthy later in the season.  Has he shown the staff enough to warrant playing time?  I personally don't believe he has earned it, but I wasn't at Mini camp or Training Camp 

*If we add OBJ and line him up outside in 11 personnel....Diggs can line up in the slot which is a huge mismatch and he's shown to be elite when lined up there.
No defense in the league has the capability to deal with a Diggs, Davis, OBJ package.   Add Shakir and McKenzie rotating in, with occasional 5WR spreads..... scary 

I will also say that team chemistry should be considered when adding a new WR.   The fact that Diggs is friends with OBJ, openly stated he'd like him here and of course Von; it makes a lot of sense to me. Others may disagree and that's fine, I get it 

Edited by Warriorspikes51

4 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Assuming McKenzie is healthy next week, Shakir looks to have earned getting significant snaps.  He's already shown he can line up in the slot or outside.   
When Diggs or Davis need a play or two off, Shakir takes those snaps. He can also split time with Isaiah in the slot.   

Let's say we go "all in" and acquire another weapon at WR in the next month, whether it's OBJ or someone unexpected via trade. 
I believe this is sensible as both added insurance and also to make this team even more unstoppable. 

Diggs
Davis

*Sign/Trade

Mckenzie
Shakir

Kumerow 

Hodgins 

Stevenson
Gentry

A bit of intrigue would be if Marquez Stevenson is healthy later in the season.  Has he shown the staff enough to warrant playing time?  I personally don't believe he has earned it, but I wasn't at Mini camp or Training Camp 

*If we add OBJ and line him up outside in 11 personnel....Diggs can line up in the slot which is a huge mismatch and he's shown to be elite when lined up there.
No defense in the league has the capability to deal with a Diggs, Davis, OBJ package.   Add Shakir and McKenzie rotating in, with occasional 5WR spreads..... scary 

I think Stevenson is likely to either sit on IR indefinitely, or get an injury settlement.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Stevenson’s been perpetually injured. His performance in limited action was underwhelming. 

He was perpetually injured in college too.  You take shots on players like this late in the draft because... they could turn out to be good players.  You can't teach speed, ball tracking, etc.  But an oft injured player can't be relied upon.  

12 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Diggs
Davis

*Sign/Trade

Mckenzie
Shakir

Kumerow 

Hodgins 

Stevenson
Gentry

I will also say that team chemistry should be considered when adding a new WR.   The fact that Diggs is friends with OBJ, openly stated he'd like him here and of course Von; it makes a lot of sense to me. Others may disagree and that's fine, I get it 

I can’t quite figure out whether OBJ rumors are legit.  If the Bills sign him, he’s going to likely bump Shakir or Crowder (once he returns) off the roster.  If you were going to add to a position group on the roster, you otherwise wouldn’t add to WR.

Im not sure if OBJ is as big of a priority as Von Miller makes you believe but I guess we’ll see.  

11 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I think Stevenson is likely to either sit on IR indefinitely, or get an injury settlement.  

He’ll be on IR all season long 

IMO - 

- Stevenson is fast but doesn't play fast, nor does he have good WR skills.  I doubt he ever sees the field again. 

- When McKenzie returns, Hodgins probably goes back to the practice squad. 

- I think McKenzie and Shakir split time 50/50 unless one of them emerges as the guy. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, JohnNord said:

I can’t quite figure out whether OBJ rumors are legit.  If the Bills sign him, he’s going to likely bump Shakir or Crowder (once he returns) off the roster.  If you were going to add to a position group on the roster, you otherwise wouldn’t add to WR.

Im not sure if OBJ is as big of a priority as Von Miller makes you believe but I guess we’ll see.  

I would assume Crowder would just be IR all season/released.  I don't think Von speaks on it as much as he has unless he's very confident Odell is at least seriously considering signing here.  Beane also did not deny interest 

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I would assume Crowder would just be IR all season/released.  I don't think Von speaks on it as much as he has unless he's very confident Odell is at least seriously considering signing here.  Beane also did not deny interest 

Yeah that’s a good point.  The other thing to consider though, is that Josiah Anderson, who is close with OBJ, seemed to indicate that he is interested in coming back to NYG.  She also refuted claims that it wasn’t more than a recruiting visit, though I still don’t believe it was officially reported as a FA visit.

If the Giants can somehow split with Dalls/Philly, I think they have a shot at the WC, and given their meh WR crew, the move to NJ might make sense

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Diggs
Davis

*Sign/Trade

Mckenzie
Shakir

Kumerow 

Hodgins 

Stevenson
Gentry

Lets can the OBJ talk, we dont need a prima dona WR here, why risk/disrupt possibly the best offense in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 3

Just now, hemma said:

Shakir’s emergence pushes me in the direction of not getting obj

Yeah… I mean it’s hard to tell because while he has played well, he was pressed into playing due to injury.  But once the WR crew returns closer to full health, his role will be telling

2 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Lets can the OBJ talk, we dont need a prima dona WR here, why risk/disrupt possibly the best offense in the NFL.

I understand this point....but the benefits of adding him greatly outweigh any cons to me.  Look at Diggs.... "Diva" 

5 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Yeah that’s a good point.  The other thing to consider though, is that Josiah Anderson, who is close with OBJ, seemed to indicate that he is interested in coming back to NYG.  She also refuted claims that it wasn’t more than a recruiting visit, though I still don’t believe it was officially reported as a FA visit.

If the Giants can somehow split with Dalls/Philly, I think they have a shot at the WC, and given their meh WR crew, the move to NJ might make sense

I do recall that, but Ian Rap had an article yesterday...teams mentioned were Bills, Rams, Chiefs, Packers and Bucs

18 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

You lost me at “bump Shakir off the roster”. That’s just not happening. 

Top 3 WR should be Diggs, Davis, Shakir.  I love McKenzie, his personality, his energy...but on the football field he isn't dynamic enough IMHO and too one dimensional.  He just is not a starter IMHO...more a guy who can be a weapon in situations than an every down slot WR.

Shakir has a lot of similarities to Kupp, and I have said that since day 1.  And it's not a coincidence either as he literally patterns his game after him.  Shakir just flat out brings more to the table IMHO.  But bringing him along slowly is the right call, because talent is one thing, experience and awareness is another...but not only do I think he will take over the starting slot position, I think he should officially ascend to that as soon as this week, or at the very least after the bye. 

If we sign OBJ, then yeah, he will take over that slot.  But based on existing personnel, I think it should be Diggs, Davis, and Shakir.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

This is more a week to week situation right now. Shakir has now shown plenty that he HAS to have meaningful snaps in this offense imo. 
Squeezing OBJ in is only an issue financially. He’d fit fine, I’m sure they can free a spot when he’s healthy. 
We’ve just had too many injuries that it seems like a struggle just to field a full lineup. This has been a next man up situation all year and so far they have all held up and some even exceeding expectations. 

49 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Do you think before posting or no?  Why would Shakir be cut?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.