Jump to content

A Few Thoughts About the Dolphins Game, in no particular order


Virgil
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, mannc said:

You’re missing the point: I’d be fine with fewer regular season home games in December/January in Buffalo.  Nothing you can do about the playoffs…

 

Right, but I am saying you can't just change it because it may happen.  Is Florida typically very hot in September? Sure, but It was 88+ in Ohio a week or so ago too.  

 

If the temperature is insanely high, I get delaying the game until later that day or the evening, but you can't change how the entire 32 team schedule works because a couple stadiums could be hot, or cold.  Weather is a part of football and it always has been.  Rain, heat, cold, snow, wind.  It's all part of the game.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, cle23 said:

 

Right, but I am saying you can't just change it because it may happen.  Is Florida typically very hot in September? Sure, but It was 88+ in Ohio a week or so ago too.  

 

If the temperature is insanely high, I get delaying the game until later that day or the evening, but you can't change how the entire 32 team schedule works because a couple stadiums could be hot, or cold.  Weather is a part of football and it always has been.  Rain, heat, cold, snow, wind.  It's all part of the game.  

I was not there yesterday, but I understand that the conditions in Miami weren’t out of the ordinary for South Florida in September. I can remember plenty of other early-season Bills games in Miami where heat was a serious factor.  Why not just play the first game of the series in Buffalo every year? Or start the game at 4:30 instead of 1:00?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

You can't run the ball without blocking. It is as simple and straightforward as that. If you want to blame someone for the lack of a run game it starts and ends with Brandon Beane. 

 

The willingness to go with olines that are just serviceable because Allen covers many sins is on him. 

While I've always been an advocate for building the very best offensive line in the league and would love to see the Buffalo Bills with a line of all pros, pro bowlers. (I know, keep dreaming)

 

That said, Buffalo has had good line play and at the end of last season they looked very good In both running and pass blocking. I do believe I saw some actual pancakes at times.

 

I would agree that the current line is average at best. Not great, but not that bad either and not many teams have the depth that Buffalo currently has on that line. I think Brandon Beane has done a masterful job on building this team and it shows in every aspect. 

 

It is far easier for offensive linemen to run block over pass blocking (and they have a beast of a run blocker in OG Rodger Saffold)(Bills GM Brandon Beane brought in a really, really good run blocker) Mostly because they know where they are going and can put all their massive weight into opponent rather then trying to hold their ground. 

 

As @HappyDays mentioned the 49ers are a really good running team... and they are because they really work at it. The led the league in rush attempts in 2021. Practice does make perfect and in order to be good at something they need to practice it until they can own it. 

 

Buffalo is a passing team and they are really good at that. However, when teams (like the 2021 Jacksonville Jaguars) are shutting down the Buffalo passing game by putting so much pressure on the QB. The Bills need to work that run game so they aren't one dimensional. Like I said, the Buffalo offense did very well in running the ball near the end of last season.

 

So many Bills fans were calling for drafting better RBs for a lot of the 2021 season. Yet Singletary showed us he is more than good enough to get the job done. Moss is good. Cook is good. The Bills OC just needs to get back to what was working at the end of last season and not give up on the run game if it doesn't produce right away. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Virgil said:


I don’t know that.  But our defense overall played well minus the one deep pass to Waddle 

They were barely on the field and Miami converted 3 Redzone possessions.  I'd say they were okay (considering the injuries).

 

Miami had no interest in even getting a first down their last possession. 

 

And yes the 42 yard pass to Waddle was a backbreaker.

 

So Allen makes one terrible pass and he's to blame, but the Defense get's a pass?  Even after the pass, a stop and all is okay.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

They were barely on the field and Miami converted 3 Redzone possessions.  I'd say they were okay (considering the injuries).

 

Miami had no interest in even getting a first down their last possession. 

 

And yes the 42 yard pass to Waddle was a backbreaker.

 

So Allen makes one terrible pass and he's to blame, but the Defense get's a pass?  Even after the pass, a stop and all is okay.


No quarterback, no matter what they did in the game, should get a pass for that play.   There’s no excuse to miss that throw.  Sometimes, yes, a play matters that much.  That’s what they make millions to do.  Every QB will tell you they need to make that pass, even if they are injured.  
 

Is he to blame for them losing the game?  No. Could he have won the game with that pass, yes.  So he owns a lot.  He is in control of the offense that scored 3 points in the second half.  
 

Let me put it to you this way, name a player or play that cost us more?

 

I would put Milano’s drop second, but there was still a lot of time left.  
 

I’ll say;

 

1 - Josh moss to McK

2 - Bass missed short FG

3 - Milano dropped pick 6

 

Those were all game changers and had zero influence from injuries or backups.  
 

 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

McK catches the ball with 13 seconds on the game clock. He doesn't go straight up field and get down. He cant get out of bounds. Bills cant get a play off. Game over.

 

KC has the ball kicked to them. Pass play for 19 yards. Pass play for 25 yards. FG to tie. 

 

Same 13 seconds. We could not finish a single play and get back to line to spike ball.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Virgil said:


No quarterback, no matter what they did in the game, should get a pass for that play.   There’s no excuse to miss that throw.  Sometimes, yes, a play matters that much.  That’s what they make millions to do.  Every QB will tell you they need to make that pass, even if they are injured.  
 

Is he to blame for them losing the game?  No. Could he have won the game with that pass, yes.  So he owns a lot.  He is in control of the offense that scored 3 points in the second half.  
 

Let me put it to you this way, name a player or play that cost us more?

 

I would put Milano’s drop second, but there was still a lot of time left.  
 

I’ll say;

 

1 - Josh moss to McK

2 - Bass missed short FG

3 - Milano dropped pick 6

 

Those were all game changers and had zero influence from injuries or backups.  
 

 

Bass's kick was tipped/blocked - blame the blocking not the kicker

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, mannc said:

I was not there yesterday, but I understand that the conditions in Miami weren’t out of the ordinary for South Florida in September. I can remember plenty of other early-season Bills games in Miami where heat was a serious factor.  Why not just play the first game of the series in Buffalo every year? Or start the game at 4:30 instead of 1:00?

I can recall seeing those late 80's, early 90's Buffalo Bills go down to Miami in that stifling heat and outplay the Dolphins players. Those phins players would be heavily panting with their hand on their hips and Buffalo would be killing them with the hurry up offense!

 

Marv used to say "when its to tough for them, its just right for us!" Good ole Bills trainer Rusty Jones and his conditioning techniques. 

 

Anyway, Buffalo had time of possession for 40:40 vs 19:20. With 63 offensive pass attempts the Buffalo offensive skill players were gassed from running all over while being on the field so much in that heat, QB too.  

 

 

Fun fact, Drew Bledsoe did have 70 pass attempts in a 1994 game against Minnesota. 70 is the most ever in the NFL. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, ngbills said:

McK catches the ball with 13 seconds on the game clock. He doesn't go straight up field and get down. He cant get out of bounds. Bills cant get a play off. Game over.

 

KC has the ball kicked to them. Pass play for 19 yards. Pass play for 25 yards. FG to tie. 

 

Same 13 seconds. We could not finish a single play and get back to line to spike ball.

ughhh...KC had 2 timeouts left and used them both.  Buffalo had no timeouts left and McNasty could have run to the sideline (watch the replay), but chose to cut it upfield into the tacklers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Was I alone in thinking the Bills would have been better off needing a TD to win starting around midfield or even on the Miami side of the field if he got a rushed punt off rather than having a safety followed by him being able to bomb a punt with no pressure and the Bills starting at their own 25 needing a FG?

 

Would have likely allowed Allen to take several shots to the endzone

 

6 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

ughhh...KC had 2 timeouts left and used them both.  Buffalo had no timeouts left and McNasty could have run to the sideline (watch the replay), but chose to cut it upfield into the tacklers.

 

Do you know by rule that a player must be moving forward when going out of bounds to have the clock stopped?

 

There was a high probability McKenzie would have been moving backwards or at best sideways which meant the clock would have kept running even if he went OOB.

 

I think a lot of people need to brush up on rules that don't frequently come into play but have happened enough time over the years watching games that they should be familiar with them.

 

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

I can recall seeing those late 80's, early 90's Buffalo Bills go down to Miami in that stifling heat and outplay the Dolphins players. Those phins players would be heavily panting with their hand on their hips and Buffalo would be killing them with the hurry up offense!

 

Marv used to say "when its to tough for them, its just right for us!" Good ole Bills trainer Rusty Jones and his conditioning techniques. 

 

Anyway, Buffalo had time of possession for 40:40 vs 19:20. With 63 offensive pass attempts the Buffalo offensive skill players were gassed from running all over while being on the field so much in that heat, QB too.  

 

 

Fun fact, Drew Bledsoe did have 70 pass attempts in a 1994 game against Minnesota. 70 is the most ever in the NFL. 

Funny, all I remember is Bills teams struggling mightily in early season games in Miami--and once or twice in Tampa. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Was I alone in thinking the Bills would have been better off needing a TD to win starting around midfield or even on the Miami side of the field if he got a rushed punt off rather than having a safety followed by him being able to bomb a punt with no pressure and the Bills starting at their own 25 needing a FG?

 

Would have likely allowed Allen to take several shots to the endzone

 

 

Do you know by rule that a player must be moving forward when going out of bounds to have the clock stopped?

 

There was a high probability McKenzie would have been moving backwards or at best sideways which meant the clock would have kept running even if he went OOB.

 

I think a lot of people need to brush up on rules that don't frequently come into play but have happened enough time over the years watching games that they should be familiar with them.

 

Yes.....  Much rather have gotten the ball at midfield and need a TD.  Regardless, Mackenzie needed to go straight forward and get down.  Bass has we've been told a 60 yard leg.     

 

Oh and the hold to take them out of FG range didn't help in a game where few penalties were called.  I won't bother checking to see how egregious it was.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Yes.....  Much rather have gotten the ball at midfield and need a TD.  Regardless, Mackenzie needed to go straight forward and get down.  Bass has we've been told a 60 yard leg.     

 

Oh and the hold to take them out of FG range didn't help in a game where few penalties were called.  I won't bother checking to see how egregious it was.

 

It was egregious...I remember watching it in real time thinking that had to be a hold...he got beat bad and basically reached around from behind and pulled him backwards where the defender ended up going down to one knee from it like he was being horsecollared almost.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm still of the mindset we missed Poyer and Hyde most of all.  Rewatching "highlights" and Waddle doesn't catch multiple deep passes and Edmunds doesn't run over a safety if Poyer is in there.    Also realized (and was mentioned already) we had two touchdowns by the beginning of the second quarter and ran probably 60 ish plays after that and only scored 3 more points.  Both our tackles literally got taken to the cleaners in the first couple of drives one resulted in a fumble and the other we overcame but both were pretty ugly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

Those were all game changers and had zero influence from injuries or backups.  

 

I was just thinking about how this game was really NOT lost by the backups, it was lost by the starters.

 

1) Missed Allen TD throw to McKenzie

2) Dropped Davis TD

3) Dropped Milano pick six

4) Spencer Brown abused by Melvin Ingram

5) Singletary and Dawkins both whiffing on a block on the fumble on the 2nd drive

6) Singletary to my eyes missed a couple cutback lanes in the run game

7) Von Miller was invisible pretty much the whole game

 

The backups, especially the safeties, made some mistakes but that was to be expected. We needed our starters to step up and make plays to bridge that talent gap and they couldn't get it done.

 

Edited by HappyDays
  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

 

I was just thinking about how this game was really NOT lost by the backups, it was lost by the starters.

 

1) Missed Allen TD throw to McKenzie

2) Dropped Davis TD

3) Dropped Milano pick six

4) Spencer Brown abused by Melvin Ingram

5) Singletary and Dawkins both whiffing on a block on the fumble on the 2nd drive

6) Singletary to my eyes missed a couple cutback lanes in the run game

7) Von Miller was invisible pretty much the whole game

 

The backups, especially the safeties, made some mistakes but that was to be expected. We needed our starters to step up and make plays to bridge that talent gap and they couldn't get it done.

 


Careful, not blaming the injuries, heat, or calling out the vets will get you in trouble 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Virgil said:


Careful, not blaming the injuries, heat, or calling out the vets will get you in trouble 

 

So I do think you were a little harsh in your post but if people can't handle some negativity after a loss they shouldn't come here after a loss... I've always found the discussion here to be the best way to decompress and get over a bad loss. Like many losses in the last couple years we just needed one core player to make one more play.

 

Where I feel you were especially harsh is with Allen's play, although admittedly I am and always have been a Bills QB homer. Allen made several exceptional plays in this game and most other core starters didn't even make one. In a game with around 70 called pass plays in the extreme heat with starters coming in and out of the lineup it is unrealistic to expect the QB to be perfect. The timing of his 4th down miss was obviously very unfortunate and it rises above a simple missed throw because of when it happened. But in context with the rest of his game he was the least of the offense's problems, and in fact he is the only reason we were able to move the ball at all. I believe Allen is one of the most clutch QBs in the game. If falling apart at the end of close games was a recurring them I'd be more concerned.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

 

I was just thinking about how this game was really NOT lost by the backups, it was lost by the starters.

 

1) Missed Allen TD throw to McKenzie

2) Dropped Davis TD

3) Dropped Milano pick six

4) Spencer Brown abused by Melvin Ingram

5) Singletary and Dawkins both whiffing on a block on the fumble on the 2nd drive

6) Singletary to my eyes missed a couple cutback lanes in the run game

7) Von Miller was invisible pretty much the whole game

 

The backups, especially the safeties, made some mistakes but that was to be expected. We needed our starters to step up and make plays to bridge that talent gap and they couldn't get it done.

 


And the Bass missed FG.

 

My heart sunk after that miss.   Felt the Bills were not going to win after that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...