Jump to content

A Few Thoughts About the Dolphins Game, in no particular order


Virgil
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just now, Turbo44 said:

so you are a sightseer too to go along with a QB coach? How do you know Tua doesn't take Miami down the field in the last 1:40 and win it or kick the tying FG if Allen hits McKenzie?


True. But then the defeat would have been on the defense, akin to 13 seconds. But, considering how depleted we were, I thought the defense did great overall today.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, UKBillFan said:


I’d argue that the second string members of the defense are the last persons on the roster responsible for the loss. Held up brilliantly considering the pressures and having to deal with the likes of Hill and Waddle. 

Allen's impressive ball control offense, that took up huge amounts of TOP, had a lot to do with that. 

 

 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

63 pass attempts is downright ridiculous to ask a QB to throw in one game... This OC put the entire game on the QB's shoulders. That is on the OC! 

 

 

 

So what would you rather they do when the run game is going nowhere? 

 

They are not ignoring the run because they don't want to run. They are ignoring the run because it is going nowhere.

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Was this Allen's best game?  No but under the circumstances it was a very good game by the QB. IMO he earned an A-.  Of course you can grade him lower if you think that having more then half the offenses starters out of the game at times was no big deal.

 

 


I’d say today was his worse game of the season so far. Despite the INT (I’m only counting one, as the other wasn’t on him), the Rams was his best, closely followed by the Titans. I don’t think missing half the offensive starters prevents him from completing a 5 yard pass. 
 

I do wonder why our red zone play was a mess on the second half. We could move the ball up the field at will but, when we hit the red zone, we couldn’t convert.

Edited by UKBillFan
Half, not quarter
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Virgil, I agree with your take 100%. Of course you knew you would get slack when you criticized Allen. Allen wasn't the steady rock we've grown spoiled to see. Of course, it as due to the injuries and perhaps the heat. It wasn't all ob Allen. It was a team loss via miscues. Allen especially in the 2nd half just wasn't as consistent as he needed to be. He seemed panicked at times and made rookie like throws at times. Especially, that series in the end where the Bill's failed to score. Your franchise QB has to get a TD. To boot, he short armed a sure TD to little dirty. He will make That throw 99 out of 100 times. That just can't happen!!! Allen needed to be superman today. That's a bit unfair to him. Maybe that's too high of a bar? It is a team.game too and the depleted oline sucked in the 2nd half.  He will no doubt come back better. Allen is the least of this teams worries. 

 

Well yea but you agreed with us in your sentence disagreeing with us by adding ‘….it was due to the injuries’ lol Allen was carrying the worst offensive line ever assembled late in that game and he threw 60+ passes they’re not all gonna be perfect.  No other human on earth would’ve kept his team in the game that was like mahomes vs TB in the Super Bowl level poor offensive line play. 
 

of course if they were playing in perfect conditions with injuries turned off some of us would’ve been a little more disappointed in some of the missed opportunities 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, UKBillFan said:


I’d say today was his worse game of the season so far. Despite the INT (I’m only counting one, as the other wasn’t on him), the Rams was his best, closely followed by the Titans. I don’t think missing half the offensive starters prevents him from completing a 5 yard pass. 
 

I do wonder why our red zone play was a mess on the second quarter. We could move the ball up the field at will but, when we hit the red zone, we couldn’t convert.

You people have gone insane.  Allen led a depleted offense to over 40 minutes TOP nearly 500 total yards and only had one TO and all you can do is call out a missed throw?  And that throw was a lot further then 5 yards.

 

Our red zone play wasn't helped by the fact than on the 90 plus, 9 minute drive in the 3rd quarter that got us to a first and goal at the 7 we were missing Knox & McKenzie and one of the back up O-linemen drew a 5 yard false start and I believe that Davis couldn't hold onto a TD pass.

 

 

 

 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:


I’d say today was his worse game of the season so far. Despite the INT (I’m only counting one, as the other wasn’t on him), the Rams was his best, closely followed by the Titans. I don’t think missing half the offensive starters prevents him from completing a 5 yard pass. 
 

I do wonder why our red zone play was a mess on the second quarter. We could move the ball up the field at will but, when we hit the red zone, we couldn’t convert.

I think it was his best game of the season imo but the judgement gets a little clouded because we lost.   these top tier qbs are obviously gonna be able to sit in a clean pocket and absolutely roast a team like in the rams game.  That’s not particularly impressive imo.  The amount of production he got behind that practice squad caliber offensive line today was insane. 
 

he had a few interceptable balls in the titans game on way less passing attempts also.  
 

watching Tony dungy not even mentioning we were missing 5 olinemen is comical 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:


True, but for the most part the defense stood up when it mattered. The Dolphins punted far more than I expected them to today.

The defense played great excluding Frazier's 3rd & 22 mental meltdown where he only rushed 3 players.  The problem was that no one expected the Bills to play long stretches of the game with less then half their offensive starters.  For crying out loud, we had our THIRD STRING CENTER out there!

 

 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

 

So what would you rather they do when the run game is going nowhere? 

 

They are not ignoring the run because they don't want to run. They are ignoring the run because it is going nowhere.

 

 

They may reach a point where they are comfortable giving up on offensive series...........but I do think today they were concerned about their inexperienced secondary getting speed-boated today........so they were not willing to sacrifice series to work on their run game.     And with good reason.   This start to the season is brutal.........loaded with highly important playoff tie-breaker impacted games......they might not get a chance to get their run game going until November.    Hopefully Allen survives this stretch.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Blaming Allen here is 100% wrong IMO. 

 

First, there were no "4 easy interceptions" thrown by Allen.  I saw three passes that if the DB makes a spectacular play might have been intercepted. 

 

Second, Allen made some great throws under all sorts of pressure.  Most QB's playing with that O-line today would have been sacked 8 times.

 

Third, if people are going to point fingers at Allen here and IMO it's entirely unwarranted, how abut a dropped TD pass and two dropped passes on the last drive either of which would have put us in FG range.

 

At times the Bills were without HALF of the players who started on Monday night.  HALF, including 60% of the O-line and a THIRD STRING CENTER.  The only thing worse then this loss are the loons trying to pin the result on Allen.

 

 

 

 

Oh, we've been all over Gabe too.  He was terrible today.  Josh still has to hit that out.  MVP of the entire league is the expectation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

You people have gone insane.  Allen led a depleted offense to over 40 minutes TOP nearly 500 total yards and only had one TO and all you can do is call out a missed throw?  And that throw was a lot further then 5 yards.

 

Our red zone play wasn't helped by the fact than on the 90 plus, 9 minute drive in the 3rd quarter that got us to a first and goal at the 7 we were missing Knox & McKenzie and one of the back up O-linemen drew a 5 yard false start and I believe that Davis couldn't hold onto a TD pass.

 

 

 

 


Because it was a throw which could have cost us the game. $250m means expectation and pressure. Our defense rose to the occasion for the most part when it needed to. It just needed clean execution from the main man in one key moment and it didn’t happen. Making clutch plays at the death are so important.

 

For me, the most concerning thing is it was the starters who made the errors today which cost us the win, rather than the back ups. The throw was just one of a multitude of simple errors made across the game which cost us. In a way it’s good; despite tripping over our own feet time and time again we came within two. Josh was a key component of keeping it close. But three offensive points in the second half is a poor return considering the opportunities we had.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

The defense played great excluding Frazier's 3rd & 22 mental meltdown where he only rushed 3 players.  The problem was that no one expected the Bills to play long stretches of the game with less then half their offensive starters.  For crying out loud, we had our THIRD STRING CENTER out there!

 

 

Did the defense play great?  We don’t even know.  Our offense kept their offense off the field 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Well yea but you agreed with us in your sentence disagreeing with us by adding ‘….it was due to the injuries’ lol Allen was carrying the worst offensive line ever assembled late in that game and he threw 60+ passes they’re not all gonna be perfect.  No other human on earth would’ve kept his team in the game that was like mahomes vs TB in the Super Bowl level poor offensive line play. 
 

of course if they were playing in perfect conditions with injuries turned off some of us would’ve been a little more disappointed in some of the missed opportunities 

I get what you are saying. It has merit. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, CoudyBills said:

Oh, we've been all over Gabe too.  He was terrible today.  Josh still has to hit that out.  MVP of the entire league is the expectation.


Gabe was clearly not 100% fit. Have to hope the minutes he gained today will set up on the right track for next week.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think we all can agree Allen usually makes the last pass to McNasty, despite his hand warranting an x ray after the game and pressure coming at him from multiple defenders.  Plays that should also be considered, that don't seem to be mentioned here for whatever reason:

 - Milano dropping an easy pick 6....a really easy pick 6 which would have probably ended the game

- Dawkins deciding not to block anyone on the crucial fumble inside our own 10

- Davis never gets that ball in the end zone ripped free

- Reviewing the replay, McNasty had plenty the chance to run out of bounds on the last play, instead he cut it back into the tacklers.

- Brown was hideous at LT when he was playing

- Hated the FG call on 4th and 4 and I was saying it before the FG was missed.  TD's win games, attempted FG's lose you games.

- Defense was good for the most part (because of the offense they only had to play 18 minutes), but how in the world on 3rd and 22 does Frazier only rush 3, going ultra conservative, while leaving a backup safety exposed 1 on 1 vs Waddle.

 

With opportunity comes responsibility.  I seem to remember these being written the day after games when things settle down and level-headedness returns......

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, UKBillFan said:


Gabe was clearly not 100% fit. Have to hope the minutes he gained today will set up on the right track for next week.

I know he was banged up, but he was in position to make the catches we expect him to make.  He let the db knock the ball out a couple times.  At the end of the day they had to have those catches.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...