A Few Thoughts About the Dolphins Game, in no particular order

Virgil

2 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Of course, without a Quarterback, a team loses to 0. But when we needed him to stand up he didn't. He's paid the big money for a reason; we need him to step up in those situations. He currently has a 0-7 record against his name when it comes to one score games. It's not all down to him (and some not at all down to him) but it's a dreadful return and, today, he is at least partially responsible for it.

I am not inane, obviously someone had to line up at QB.  But if you think the QB that had 400 yards passing. 2 tds, and picked up multiple 1st downs on his own is to blame for a loss you're being petty.  He did more than enough to get his team a W.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Well, if you're going to post angry, go big or go home.  If you are on team "we were injured," feel free to stop reading now.  This game was embarrassing in all aspects of the game, and even beyond to the NFL. 

1 - Everyone else - This whole week has been about the players we don't have on the field, yet it was the guys who stayed healthy that made some of the biggest impacts on the game.  In a game of "what if's", there were countless plays you could point to that could have sent this game in a different direction.  Milano with an inexcusable dropped pick 6, Josh with at least 4 passes that should have been easily intercepted, multiple lost yardage plays due to bad snaps, Brown getting just abused at RT until he also leaves the game sick, Bass with an short FG miss that could have been the game winner, and again Allen missing a wide open McKenzie for a touchdown. 

2 - Inevitable - If there were one thing that kept me up at night going into this game, it was fear of miscommunication and gap integrity between the safeties and corners.  In a game where the Bills did a great job of limiting Tua, Waddle, and Hill, they folded when it counted the most giving up an inexcusable 3rd and 22 to the Bills goal line.  Without that play, of all of them, the Dolphins stat line is pedestrian and pull off a miracle defensive performance.

3 - Safety - I don't know enough about all of the medical protocols or options for teams in a game like this, but you really have to question the NFL after this game.  How Tua was able to clear concussion protocol so quickly makes absolutely no sense.  I haven't seen a QB stagger off the field like that since Joe Montana with the Chiefs against the Bills in the playoffs.  I don't care how well he passed tests in the locker room, there's no way he should have been allowed to play.  To be clear, this has nothing to do with the Bills losing and I don't think Tua beat us on any level.  Between that, the amount of play stoppages for dehydration and cramping, and the amount of players who left the game early, something needs to be done differently.

4 - Come and take a walk on the wild side
Let me kiss you hard in the pouring rain
You like your girls insane ("Louder!", "Alright")
So choose your last words, this is the last time
'Cause you and I—we were born to die

5 - Allen - You are either a stat person or you aren't, and for this game, I don't care about Josh's stats.  He lost this game for us on offense and I think he would tell you the same thing.  Josh's accuracy on crossing routes was poor, throwing multiple passes behind the receivers.  He threw at least 4 passes that easily should have been picked off, plus the miss to a wide open McKenzie last goal line drive.  While he overcame it, the PF call to lose 15 yards was inexcusable.  Josh was clearly rattled in the second half and started to press too much.  Maybe it was the heat, frustration of some terrible snaps, or playing with only 3 active receivers at times, but Josh needs to be better than this.

6 - Play calling - I have to hand it to the Dolphins as they had a very good game plan for our offense and did enough to keep the Bills offense at bay.  Again, you can look at stats all you want, but Diggs was relatively shut down in this game after the first quarter.  Howard left the game for a while and Diggs still couldn't do anything.  Davis was also quiet as we heard Gilly's name more than his.  As for the Bills, they continue to collapse on short yardage plays, can't run to save their life, and flirted with turnovers a lot.  Nothing ever felt fluid for the Bills on offense or defense, in a game that's almost impossible to describe to someone who didn't watch it.

7 - Motor - I understand that Moss had a big run in this game.  But beyond that, Motor was the only back doing anything on the field and it's been this way through three games.  Additionally, the running plays on the RPO or out of the shotgun were some of the slowest developing plays I've ever seen.  You would think the offense was running on quicksand and showed no push or burst up front.  And before you point to the loss of the entire right side of our line, this was before those injuries and were runs to the left side.  I know we are a passing team, but this is inexcusable.

8 - McKenzie - If there were one shining light on offense, it might have been that we finally saw a McKenzie jet sweep in this game.  McKenzie used his speed on quite a few plays to pick up nice chunks of yards, to the point that makes you wonder why he hasn't been used more up until now.  His 20+ yard catch was a beautiful touch pass by Josh, but an equally great catch by McK.  I also want to know why McK wasn't returned the free kick after the safety.  Was that because it was still a punt, in theory?

9 - Special teams - Between the Bass missed FG, being pinned inside our 20 a few times, and Crowder not even getting back to the 25 after the safety, the special teams was another group who found a way to not show up in this game.  Absolutely horrendous job by unit that was healthy coming into the game.

10 - Bye Week - I'll be honest, I don't know what to expect through the next 3 weeks.  You can find some solace in how the defense held Waddle and Hill down, but I'm not one willing to crown the Dolphins as a top tier team yet.  Going into Baltimore next week is going to be brutal, and then we still have the Chiefs after that.  I know that it's early, and thankfully we get to play the Dolphins again.  But we may very well need the tie breakers for the Ravens and Chiefs, so it sucks to have these games coming up when we aren't even 50% healthy.  Out of everything, I just hate having a season be defined by injuries, and that's exactly what this season is shaping up to be.

For those looking for more about the game, my apologies.  I'm not going to cool down from this game for a long time.  I can handle a loss and was expecting one.  But to lose like this is just pathetic to me.  The Dolphins were better prepared, had more energy, and played harder.  Lose, but don't get beat in those three phases.  That's on McD.

Love you as a poster…but this take is probably the worst one I’ve seen from you.  I think you should have waited to post until tomorrow bud and not while you were still worked up.  Just my 2 cents and mean no disrespect.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 7

3 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Of course, without a Quarterback, a team loses to 0. But when we needed him to stand up he didn't. He's paid the big money for a reason; we need him to step up in those situations. He currently has a 0-7 record against his name when it comes to one score games. It's not all down to him (and some not at all down to him) but it's a dreadful return and, today, he is at least partially responsible for it.

You gotta call Brandon Beane and advocate him  being traded since a team like the Saints will offer a small fortune for him since they are just a qb away then we can rebuild with your approved qb 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, thenorthremembers said:

I am not inane, obviously someone had to line up at QB.  But if you think the QB that had 400 yards passing. 2 tds, and picked up multiple 1st downs on his own is to blame for a loss you're being petty.  He did more than enough to get his team a W.

Except in the red zone. All those yards and we only scored 17 from offense?

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I'll wait for the post-game press conference.  But he will tell you that he should have hit McKenzie for that touchdown.  No one touched him. 

I'd be gassed too if I was dragging third stringers up and down the field all day. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Well, if you're going to post angry, go big or go home.  If you are on team "we were injured," feel free to stop reading now.  This game was embarrassing in all aspects of the game, and even beyond to the NFL. 

1 - Everyone else - This whole week has been about the players we don't have on the field, yet it was the guys who stayed healthy that made some of the biggest impacts on the game.  In a game of "what if's", there were countless plays you could point to that could have sent this game in a different direction.  Milano with an inexcusable dropped pick 6, Josh with at least 4 passes that should have been easily intercepted, multiple lost yardage plays due to bad snaps, Brown getting just abused at RT until he also leaves the game sick, Bass with an short FG miss that could have been the game winner, and again Allen missing a wide open McKenzie for a touchdown. 

2 - Inevitable - If there were one thing that kept me up at night going into this game, it was fear of miscommunication and gap integrity between the safeties and corners.  In a game where the Bills did a great job of limiting Tua, Waddle, and Hill, they folded when it counted the most giving up an inexcusable 3rd and 22 to the Bills goal line.  Without that play, of all of them, the Dolphins stat line is pedestrian and pull off a miracle defensive performance.

3 - Safety - I don't know enough about all of the medical protocols or options for teams in a game like this, but you really have to question the NFL after this game.  How Tua was able to clear concussion protocol so quickly makes absolutely no sense.  I haven't seen a QB stagger off the field like that since Joe Montana with the Chiefs against the Bills in the playoffs.  I don't care how well he passed tests in the locker room, there's no way he should have been allowed to play.  To be clear, this has nothing to do with the Bills losing and I don't think Tua beat us on any level.  Between that, the amount of play stoppages for dehydration and cramping, and the amount of players who left the game early, something needs to be done differently.

5 - Allen - You are either a stat person or you aren't, and for this game, I don't care about Josh's stats.  He lost this game for us on offense and I think he would tell you the same thing.  Josh's accuracy on crossing routes was poor, throwing multiple passes behind the receivers.  He threw at least 4 passes that easily should have been picked off, plus the miss to a wide open McKenzie last goal line drive.  While he overcame it, the PF call to lose 15 yards was inexcusable.  Josh was clearly rattled in the second half and started to press too much.  Maybe it was the heat, frustration of some terrible snaps, or playing with only 3 active receivers at times, but Josh needs to be better than this.

6 - Play calling - I have to hand it to the Dolphins as they had a very good game plan for our offense and did enough to keep the Bills offense at bay.  Again, you can look at stats all you want, but Diggs was relatively shut down in this game after the first quarter.  Howard left the game for a while and Diggs still couldn't do anything.  Davis was also quiet as we heard Gilly's name more than his.  As for the Bills, they continue to collapse on short yardage plays, can't run to save their life, and flirted with turnovers a lot.  Nothing ever felt fluid for the Bills on offense or defense, in a game that's almost impossible to describe to someone who didn't watch it.

7 - Motor - I understand that Moss had a big run in this game.  But beyond that, Motor was the only back doing anything on the field and it's been this way through three games.  Additionally, the running plays on the RPO or out of the shotgun were some of the slowest developing plays I've ever seen.  You would think the offense was running on quicksand and showed no push or burst up front.  And before you point to the loss of the entire right side of our line, this was before those injuries and were runs to the left side.  I know we are a passing team, but this is inexcusable.

8 - McKenzie - If there were one shining light on offense, it might have been that we finally saw a McKenzie jet sweep in this game.  McKenzie used his speed on quite a few plays to pick up nice chunks of yards, to the point that makes you wonder why he hasn't been used more up until now.  His 20+ yard catch was a beautiful touch pass by Josh, but an equally great catch by McK.  I also want to know why McK wasn't returned the free kick after the safety.  Was that because it was still a punt, in theory?

9 - Special teams - Between the Bass missed FG, being pinned inside our 20 a few times, and Crowder not even getting back to the 25 after the safety, the special teams was another group who found a way to not show up in this game.  Absolutely horrendous job by unit that was healthy coming into the game.

10 - Bye Week - I'll be honest, I don't know what to expect through the next 3 weeks.  You can find some solace in how the defense held Waddle and Hill down, but I'm not one willing to crown the Dolphins as a top tier team yet.  Going into Baltimore next week is going to be brutal, and then we still have the Chiefs after that.  I know that it's early, and thankfully we get to play the Dolphins again.  But we may very well need the tie breakers for the Ravens and Chiefs, so it sucks to have these games coming up when we aren't even 50% healthy.  Out of everything, I just hate having a season be defined by injuries, and that's exactly what this season is shaping up to be.

For those looking for more about the game, my apologies.  I'm not going to cool down from this game for a long time.  I can handle a loss and was expecting one.  But to lose like this is just pathetic to me.  The Dolphins were better prepared, had more energy, and played harder.  Lose, but don't get beat in those three phases.  That's on McD.

Josh was getting his dick yanked off by wilkins in the pile

Edited by Billever76
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Angry 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Virgil I always appreciate your writeups. My one thought after I read yours was that #17 isn't a cyborg NOR is he always perfect. He WANTS to be and will work his ***  off to be his best self.  These types of games we all hope by the end of the year will not have the same significance as far as standings/ playoff slots etc. This game was a saunafied MESS...good bad and a lot of ugly with some greatness thrown jn. Thats about all Ive got to add.  Best to you, muppy 

1 minute ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

You gotta call Brandon Beane and advocate him  being traded since a team like the Saints will offer a small fortune for him since they are just a qb away then we can rebuild with your approved qb 

Sorry, re-read my post and say where I think we should trade Josh?

I'm just not blowing smoke up him when he left too many points on the field. So many trips to the redzone (which he deserves credit for) with no to little award. And that is partially down to him.

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Regarding Tua, I heard them say that it was actually his back, not his head that was hurting. That’s why he was able to come back so quickly 

Yeah. Seems right. Which is why he couldn’t stand in his own for about 3 minutes. Standing there trying to lick his own ear 

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, UKBillFan said:

Sorry, re-read my post and say where I think we should trade Josh?

I'm just not blowing smoke up him when he left too many points on the field. So many trips to the redzone (which he deserves credit for) with no to little award. And that is partially down to him.

Then call Brandon and advocate trading him since you think he’s so terrible in these close games clearly we need to go in a different direction and then you can scout the 2023 qb class 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

9 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

60 pass attempts in a close game is silly. 
At some point they need to run the ball. This is getting old.
Time of possession was huge and I’m still a bit shocked miamis defense held up. Regardless of the heat that’s a long time to be on the field. 

The Miami defense didn't hold up. We gave it to them due to simple errors.

9 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I'll wait for the post-game press conference.  But he will tell you that he should have hit McKenzie for that touchdown.  No one touched him. 

how rare it is to see #17 short pass a receiver.......lol right?

8 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Love these recaps Virgil but to say Josh lost the game on offense is totally wrong.  Offensive line played like dog crap, too may injuries, and no one outside of Josh made plays.  Josh was the reason they were in the game to start with.  Without him this game is 21-0

Ya I agree, he definitely had a few bad throws especially the game winner but he was the offense today. I think we take for granted what he does some times, he broke at least 4 tackles that were sacks for most nfl qbs. Moved around the pocket and made plays. His stats might look better than he really played but he still kept this offense afloat with a once again atrocious run game.

I mean if Gabe makes that td catch is there even a whisper that josh played like trash today?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.