Wide receiver usage through two weeks

GunnerBill

Thought it was worth getting into the breakdown at this point just because it was a bit of a hot topic in the offseason - how would the split look in the slot, who would play outside if Diggs and / or Davis was missing etc... and obviously Davis did miss last night. 

The slot:

Isaiah McKenzie has played more snaps than Crowder both weeks. 26 to 18 in week 1 and 31 to 19 last night. Overall McKenzie has played about 45% of the plays and Crowder about 29%. It isn't quit as simple as that though because McKenzie has lined up outside and even in the backfield a little bit. He has played 32% of the plays in the slot. All but 3 of Crowder's plays have come from the slot so he is in the slot about 27% of the Bills offensive snaps. Khalil Shakir (who I still believe is really a slot receiver) took 4 of his 24 snaps last night from the slot position. So I think we can conclude that Isaiah is the "starter" at slot but it is very much as some of us suspected a jobshare between he and Crowder and with some Diggs mixed in for certain packages - he has been in the slot on 12% of our offensive plays across two games.

Outside:

Let's start with Diggs who we know is indisputably this team's #1. There is some load management going on here. He played 64% of the Bills snaps in week 1 and 66% in week 2. Although he actually played 86% of the snaps while the starters were in yesterday (but not all split wide, some in the slot). The overall % fell because he sat the 4th Quarter with other starters. In week 1 Gabe played every offensive snap save for the kneel down. The interesting point is what happened with the rest of the guys. Kumerow took 11 snaps split wide in week 1 which led the team after the big two. This week he played 53 of the 68 offensive snaps and lined up wide on 45 of them which led the team. Shakir lined up wide on 18 snaps - the majority of which came with the game done although he was sprinkled in first half here and there. The overall breakdown of wide snaps for week 2 was:

Jake Kumerow: 45

Stefon Diggs: 39

Khalil Shakir: 18

Isaiah McKenzie: 8

Dawson Knox: 2

Jamison Crowder: 2

James Cook: 2

Devin Singletary: 1

I think what we can conclude from what we have seen so far is they have packages where McKenzie lines up wide and to a lesser extent Crowder and Knox too, but their depth chart as genuine outside dept after the top 2 guys is Kumerow #3 and Shakir #4. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Kudos to Kumerow.  A lot of people on this board thought he should be cut, and many thought that Hodgins should have made the team over Kumerow.  Jake's value on special teams is very high, and unquestioned.  Last night, he also stepped up as a WR, making some nice grabs in Gabe Davis' absence, and, as the stats above show, he played a lot of snaps.  He won't be making the Pro Bowl anytime soon, but it is nice to see some positive contribution from him as a WR.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Now confirmed that we are one injury away from Kumerow playing 75+% of snaps. Didn't want to believe it before the season but it's true. 

Would have thought even with an injury that they would have used a combo of Diggs, Crowder, McKenzie and Shakir. But to be honest Mck and Crowder haven't shown much these first two games. Not much play making ability there. 

I didn't like the thought of OBJ before the season but am 100% on board now. If he gets healthy and wants to come here it's a no brainer.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Dislike 1

21 minutes ago, Process said:

Would have thought even with an injury that they would have used a combo of Diggs, Crowder, McKenzie and Shakir. But to be honest Mck and Crowder haven't shown much these first two games. Not much play making ability there.

Looked like some playmaking ability on McKenzie's TD last week.  He faked out two defenders and split them very neatly.

FWIW McKenzie's production projects out to 475 yards per season and Crowder's to 374.  Since @GunnerBill points out that the Bills are splitting the reps in the slot fairly evenly, let's sum them and point out that would give the Bills 849 yds and 43 1D from the slot position, which would be respectable production from the slot - and in fact, better production than we got from Beasley last season and better than all but 2 of Beasley's 10 years in the league.

So if the question is "how are the Bills gonna replace Beasley's production from the slot?" a satisfactory answer may be "by platooning McKenzie and Crowder".  A factor that Taron Johnson mentioned with this strategy is that the two of them are very different receivers to cover - Crowder is the "brain surgeon" dissecting the coverage and finding the seams, McKenzie is the speedster running away from people - and that going back and forth between them makes his job harder.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

Kudos to Kumerow.  A lot of people on this board thought he should be cut, and many thought that Hodgins should have made the team over Kumerow.  Jake's value on special teams is very high, and unquestioned.  Last night, he also stepped up as a WR, making some nice grabs in Gabe Davis' absence, and, as the stats above show, he played a lot of snaps.  He won't be making the Pro Bowl anytime soon, but it is nice to see some positive contribution from him as a WR.

And Kumerow is a top level blocker. One big reason he got the call over the others last night. 

• Like (+1) 3

41 minutes ago, Process said:

But to be honest Mck and Crowder haven't shown much these first two games. Not much play making ability there.

I've been really happy with Crowder. Finds soft spots in zone coverage and is a 3rd down converter...something I was worried about losing when beasley departed. Plus he's solid in punt return. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

I've been really happy with Crowder. Finds soft spots in zone coverage and is a 3rd down converter...something I was worried about losing when beasley departed. Plus he's solid in punt return. 

He is pretty fast, too.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Thought it was worth getting into the breakdown at this point just because it was a bit of a hot topic in the offseason - how would the split look in the slot, who would play outside if Diggs and / or Davis was missing etc... and obviously Davis did miss last night. 

The slot:

Isaiah McKenzie has played more snaps than Crowder both weeks. 26 to 18 in week 1 and 31 to 19 last night. Overall McKenzie has played about 45% of the plays and Crowder about 29%. It isn't quit as simple as that though because McKenzie has lined up outside and even in the backfield a little bit. He has played 32% of the plays in the slot. All but 3 of Crowder's plays have come from the slot so he is in the slot about 27% of the Bills offensive snaps. Khalil Shakir (who I still believe is really a slot receiver) took 4 of his 24 snaps last night from the slot position. So I think we can conclude that Isaiah is the "starter" at slot but it is very much as some of us suspected a jobshare between he and Crowder and with some Diggs mixed in for certain packages - he has been in the slot on 12% of our offensive plays across two games.

Outside:

Let's start with Diggs who we know is indisputably this team's #1. There is some load management going on here. He played 64% of the Bills snaps in week 1 and 66% in week 2. Although he actually played 86% of the snaps while the starters were in yesterday (but not all split wide, some in the slot). The overall % fell because he sat the 4th Quarter with other starters. In week 1 Gabe played every offensive snap save for the kneel down. The interesting point is what happened with the rest of the guys. Kumerow took 11 snaps split wide in week 1 which led the team after the big two. This week he played 53 of the 68 offensive snaps and lined up wide on 45 of them which led the team. Shakir lined up wide on 18 snaps - the majority of which came with the game done although he was sprinkled in first half here and there. The overall breakdown of wide snaps for week 2 was:

I think what we can conclude from what we have seen so far is they have packages where McKenzie lines up wide and to a lesser extent Crowder and Knox too, but their depth chart as genuine outside dept after the top 2 guys is Kumerow #3 and Shakir #4. 

Great post. 

The snap numbers are a bit skewed from yesterday because of the blowout. 

My biggest takeaway is I love the way we're using Diggs now. Back to back games with long TDs. Under Dabol he really didn't get many deep looks and he's clearly an amazing deep threat and amazing at YAC and I feel like Dabol didn't put him in many YAC situations , whereas Dorsey is giving him many. Moving him around in the slot as well.  Love it!

If that game was competitive, and Diggs didnt get pulled could, could have went for 250+yards and 4+ TD

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

Both he and McKenzie are solid, unspectacular but solid. But he and Mck playing the same role and subbing in and out for each other. 

Would be really nice to have someone else to replace Diggs/Davis in the case of injury. I really didn't think we'd see Kumerow playing an every down role. 

Okay for one game against a trash secondary. But if it's for an extended time? Yikes. 

24 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Looked like some playmaking ability on McKenzie's TD last week.  He faked out two defenders and split them very neatly.

FWIW McKenzie's production projects out to 475 yards per season and Crowder's to 374.  Since @GunnerBill points out that the Bills are splitting the reps in the slot fairly evenly, let's sum them and point out that would give the Bills 849 yds and 43 1D from the slot position, which would be respectable production from the slot - and in fact, better production than we got from Beasley last season and better than all but 2 of Beasley's 10 years in the league.

So if the question is "how are the Bills gonna replace Beasley's production from the slot?" a satisfactory answer may be "by platooning McKenzie and Crowder".  A factor that Taron Johnson mentioned with this strategy is that the two of them are very different receivers to cover - Crowder is the "brain surgeon" dissecting the coverage and finding the seams, McKenzie is the speedster running away from people - and that going back and forth between them makes his job harder.

Yea I said in pre-season you wanna sit in zone and Crowder will underneath you to death. You wanna get physical and play man McKenzie is gonna beat you on crossers and have more wiggle and speed than the guy you have covering him. So far the two have been a nice complimentary pair. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

The slot:

Outside:

You feel better about Kumerow?

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

You feel better about Kumerow?

He played a nice game yesterday. That was a good route he ran vs Farley and he got some separation. I am still a tad sceptical about whether he could produce that consistently over a longer term at a high enough level to get us by.... but for now, no complaints over how he played yesterday. Give the man his due. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

He played a nice game yesterday. That was a good route he ran vs Farley and he got some separation. I am still a tad sceptical about whether he could produce that consistently over a longer term at a high enough level to get us by.... but for now, no complaints over how he played yesterday. Give the man his due. 

Aaron Rodgers saw the talent!

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Process said:

Both he and McKenzie are solid, unspectacular but solid. But he and Mck playing the same role and subbing in and out for each other. 

Would be really nice to have someone else to replace Diggs/Davis in the case of injury. I really didn't think we'd see Kumerow playing an every down role. 

Okay for one game against a trash secondary. But if it's for an extended time? Yikes. 

Sure but I was specifically responding to someone saying Crowder and Mck haven't shown much. 

As for the the outside depth...yeah it's not there. I expected Shakir to flash and get his shots on the outside. Disappointed he didn't. But I'm guessing his next game will be much better. 

I think Crowder will be of more importance when we start seeing some effective pass rushes and more time working with Josh. 
I was hyped for his signing and I think there’s a lot to uncover for him still. 
Dorsey is doing a great job with our scheme and Josh is using all the weapons at his disposal. 
I’ll give Kumerow some props as well, I was on board cutting him. He can make some plays though. I didn’t expect to see him that much last night even with Davis out. He did a great job. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.