Week 1 - Bills 31 ~ Rams 10 - Morning After Breakdown And Reaction

H2o

Wow........ That's what I was thinking last night watching this revamped defensive line. That's what I was thinking last night watching our offense move up and down the field against the defending Super Bowl Champions. McVay and Joseph, both, had 0 answers for anything we were doing out there. For last year's opener where we came out completely flat against the Steelers, this game was the polar opposite. 

The Offense

Both Josh and Ken Dorsey were locked in right out of the gate. You saw it on that first drive. Josh was 5-5 for 58 yards with the 26 yard TD to Gabe Davis. Dorsey kept the Rams off balance mixing in the runs, Josh was getting the ball out of his hands quickly, and the 3rd and 1 play call that left Davis wide open for the TD was a thing of beauty. We were driving right down the field again on the 2nd possession, Josh is 10-10 at this point, and then McKenzie has a gaff that drops the ball straight into Terrell Lewis' hands. 3rd drive, two plays and then comes the James Cook fumble. 4th drive, we're moving down the field again with Josh continuing to get the ball out of his hand quickly and neutralizing the Rams front. The 3rd down play, Davis kind of stumbles when trying to make his break and the CB got away with a possible hand around his waist pulling him back. It was a 50/50 play that could have been PI, but I wasn't too mad about it. Bass comes onto the field and sneaks a FG just inside the right upright. In the 5th drive came the only bad decision and throw Josh made the entire night. He was looking to hit Crowder coming across the field, but threw the ball late and didn't put it out in front of him like he should have. I'm not sure if Josh thought he was going to settle in the coverage and come back to the ball, or if he just made a bad throw. Personally, I think it was just a bad throw. In this time, the Rams put together a couple of scoring drives and we go to the half 10-10. It felt like we should be up 24-10 or 28-10 at the half, but the two interceptions and what followed had most of us sitting there with a few lingering doubts about how the rest of the game would unfold. Those thoughts were quickly put to rest in the 2nd half. The Bills defense gets us the ball by forcing a quick 3 and out. The offense then drives right down the field with a beautiful mix of runs and passing play calls by Dorsey that is culminated by a 7 yard strike to McKenzie, who redeemed himself a bit, for a TD. The drive was 8 plays, 58 yards, and took just over 5 minutes off of the clock. The defense then forces another punt and we end up with our worst field position of the evening, starting at our own 11 yard line. Then, Spencer Brown gets a false start call that moves us back to the 6 yard line. Josh then proceeds to lead a 13 play, 89 (94 really) yard drive, that sees us hold the ball for nearly 7 minutes of game action. Josh running the ball, Josh still getting the ball out of his hand quickly on those shorter routes, and a couple of Zack Moss runs just to keep the defense guessing. After missing Diggs on a surefire TD, Josh takes it into his own hands with a outstretched leap breaking the plane over a Rams defender. The score is 24-10 at this point and I already knew this game was over, even with 13 minutes and some change still left on the clock. Stafford confirms what I already knew, that the game was over, throwing another pick and giving us the ball right back. Three plays later, Diggs absolutely torches Ramsey for a 53 yard TD where he almost blew it tripping over his own feet. The leader of the offense, JA17, then sprints down the field to let Ramsey know about it. LOVED IT!!! Ball game, 31-10, not even worried about the 9 minutes left to go. The last drive and the fumble, outside of us being sloppy with the ball again on offense, didn't even matter. 

The Defense

From that first LA drive where it looked like they were going to move the ball downfield to match our offense, Von Miller gets to Stafford for his first sack as a member of the Bills forcing a 3rd and long, you could see the completely different vibe of this defense. We were stuffing the run, getting pressure on the QB with only 4 up front, and the guys were flying around out there all night long. As a team, for the entirety of the 2021 season, we had 42 sacks last year. Last night, we notched 7 already in our 1st game. Phillips, Rousseau, Basham, Epenesa, everybody on that front looked like sharks who could smell the blood in the water. It was a joy to watch. Outside of their two, first half scoring drives, we had McVay and Stafford in a state of confusion for the most part. Cooper Kupp is Cooper Kupp. He's one of the best WR's in the game right now. He's going to get his catches, he's going to get his yards, and he's going to score TD's. Everyone else, especially the supposed 2nd option in Allen Robinson, were all basically shut down. Much of that can be contributed to our front that was making Stafford uncomfortable all night. Tipped passes, forcing throws early or off balance, and constant pressure. All of the $$$ and players brought in, as of right now it looks to be one of the GREATEST off-seasons in Buffalo Bills history. I know it's early, and definitely an overreaction type of Friday, but hopefully I will be able to stand by this statement all season long. Benford, outside of a couple of plays where he got lost on the field, performed admirably as well. Dane Jackson looks to have taken a step forward. Poyer and Hyde are still doing Poyer and Hyde things. Milano is out there flying around and smashing people. I only said "Yep, ****ing Edmunds. Go figure," maybe 3 times for the entire game (which is pretty good all things considered :lol:). Every time it looked like the Rams may be getting something going, the defense got a sack to kill their momentum, the defense made a timely play, or we just took the ball away. Yes, the offense was rolling and didn't punt for the entire game again, but the defense still stole the show imo.

In Conclusion

Our friend and fellow poster @ChevyVanMiller seems to have been spot on with his thread, because this Bills team feels like it is poised for a magical season. The offense, the defense, both of them were firing on all cylinders right out of the gate. Allen has grown so much over the last 3 years that there is basically no way to stop him. You take away the intermediate and deep passing game, he will pick you apart underneath. You cover the quick hitters, he'll scorch you at the intermediate and deeper levels of the field. There is no window too tight and no coverage that he cannot find the weak spot in. Send pressure and he'll find his hot reads with ease or take off running. The guy really is amazing to watch, and his development has been that of legends. The revamped defensive line, the one that people were complaining we have too much $$$ tied up in, looks to be worth every penny spent. Von Miller and Jordan Phillips looked like game wreckers last night. The young guys are benefitting from the presence of the veterans we brought in. It was absolutely beautiful. The Secondary is benefitting from their presence as well, and we don't even have Tre White back on the field yet. Sam Martin looks like he may have the easiest gig in the NFL, being the Punter and holder for Tyler Bass on this team. This team has the makings of being the 2000 Ravens, with a BETTER offense, and that is a SCARY proposition for the rest of the NFL. I try not to get too hype off of a single win, or too low from a single loss, but I cannot help myself after watching that dominating performance last night. If not for the turnovers, we would have hung 50 on the defending SB champs, in their house, on the night where they were supposed to be "celebrating" their prior season's accomplishment. May God grant this team good health all season long. Because if we can remain healthy, come February of 2023, the Buffalo Bills WILL be bringing home their 1st Lombardi. Show me a team that's better, because I don't see it. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

While the throw to Crowder wasn't great, he could have made a better play on the ball by coming back to it instead of allowing the CB to cut across his face like that...if he did that we would have been talking about a nice pass breakup by the DB instead of an INT.  Not a great throw, but Crowder didn't help him either.

IMO, any time a CB cuts across a receivers face on a crossing route like that, the WR bears some blame for allowing it to happen.

Special teams looked really good last night also, minus the head scratching kick out of bounds by Bass.

Looked like the Bills just decided they were going to try to limit what Kupp did but then take everyone else away...Allen Robinson was a ghost...dude's picture should be on a milk carton this week for people to see if they can locate this missing person. Outside of the one 20 yard Henderson run, the Bills really shut down the run game as well.

Rams had 130 yards of offense through 3 quarters...

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

While the throw to Crowder wasn't great, he could have made a better play on the ball by coming back to it instead of allowing the CB to cut across his face like that...if he did that we would have been talking about a nice pass breakup by the DB instead of an INT.  Not a great throw, but Crowder didn't help him either.

IMO, any time a CB cuts across a receivers face on a crossing route like that, the WR bears some blame for allowing it to happen.

Special teams looked really good last night also, minus the head scratching kick out of bounds by Bass.

Looked like the Bills just decided they were going to try to limit what Kupp did but then take everyone else away...Allen Robinson was a ghost...dude's picture should be on a milk carton this week for people to see if they can locate this missing person. Outside of the one 20 yard Henderson run, the Bills really shut down the run game as well.

Yeah,, forgot my shout out to the ST's unit. The kickoff coverage was really good last night as well. Everyone stayed in their lanes and for the most part there were no missed tackles. Martin's FG holding prowess was also on display :lol:

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Sorry, that's all on Allen.

That still doesn't take away from an absolutely dominant performance by Allen.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Edmunds led a damn good defensive effort. All those turnovers by the offense would have sunk just about any other team.  

Yeah, he didn't play bad. I usually notice him getting himself get caught up in the wash more or out of position when he should have made a play. Last night it was only like three times. But don't get it twisted, the front four led that defensive effort and Edmunds was another beneficiary. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, H2o said:

Yeah, he didn't play bad. I usually notice him getting himself get caught up in the wash more or out of position when he should have made a play. Last night it was only like three times. But don't get it twisted, the front four led that defensive effort and Edmunds was another beneficiary. 

It worked both ways. The dline benefits from his presence. Stafford couldn’t throw down the middle with Edmunds roaming out there. He double clutched a couple of times cuz Edmunds was occupying that space. That allowed the dline to get there. Nothing twisted. It’s a team game. Edmunds does what he’s supposed to and the rest of the defense benefits. Watch again and tell me Edmunds didn’t affect Stafford ability to throw down the middle. Dline had a great game too. They meshed together nicely. 

15 minutes ago, Beast said:

That still doesn't take away from an absoluyely dominant performance by Allen.

No...sorry, the WR has to come back to the ball on that play. It wasn't a great throw but if Crowder does the fundamentals he is taught it was a pass breakup not an INT.

I can almost 100% guarantee you in the film room sessions the Bills have this will get brought up.

Any time a CB cuts across a WR face like that on an INT on a crossing route it's partially on the WR for not driving back to the ball. That's something you learn in high school and maybe even in Pop Warner nowadays.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Beast said:

That still doesn't take away from an absoluyely dominant performance by Allen.

IF you watched Beasleys rout running, when Beasley splits off left or right, its a square. Crowder when he splits off it has a little arc to it.

One other thing.

When you square to go out, you have to make sure that CB is behind, not in front of you and if he is in front of you then crowder needs to run towards the line of scrimmage.  Thats on Crowder. That being said, Allen new the CB was in front. should not of thrown it 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

The D Line kept Milano/ Edmunds/ Poyer/ Hyde pretty clean most of the game. Very few instances where OL were onto the second level and blocking the LB and S.

Too many times the past few seasons I saw the LBs and S having to fight off a block and be the first man on a ball carrier.

Daquon Jones was noticeable, as was Ed Oliver before he got knicked up. Rousseau also did a good job clogging lanes. Miller/ Basham and Phillips were creating havoc too. Didn't see Settle much, but whoever was playing DT and DE was tying up blockers and clogging run/pass lanes all night. (see Boogie Basham INT, and Rosseau's tipped pass)

That should make Edmunds/ Milano/ Poyer/ Hyde's jobs much easier this year. Hopefully that translates to Edmunds having less traffic and slop to get through and make more solid solo tackles. Getting through slop is one of Edmunds weaknesses. Has been since his college tape. I think we saw some of what Edmunds could be if he can play clean.

Tennessee will be a very good test to see if what I saw last night from the front 6+S will hold true against the more physical teams like TN/ BAL/ INDY.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

IF you watched Beasleys rout running, when Beasley splits off left or right, its a square. Crowder when he splits off it has a little arc to it.

One other thing.

When you square to go out, you have to make sure that CB is behind, not in front of you and if he is in front of you then crowder needs to run towards the line of scrimmage.  Thats on Crowder. That being said, Allen new the CB was in front. should not of thrown it 

I can guarantee Chad Hall is going to give him the business for letting Hill undercut that route and cross his face. That's a huge no no for a WR on a crossing route.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

A few more things I have thought about.

1. Bass kicking that ball out of bounds was brutal and led to Rams points. How does that happen indoors?

2. The ST play to open the third was one of the pivotal plays of the game.  Pinning them back and forcing a punt was huge.

3. The play of the night for me, and it didn't work, was the endzone throw to Diggs.  Allen acted like he was going to rush up the middle and then he throws late to Diggs.  That was a Mahommes-esque kind of play.  The lineman can't release downfield for that to work.

4. The Gabe Davis TD was a perfect and I mean perfect game fake.

5. Poor Cook.  A bad way to start your NFL career.  That fumble will have lingering effects on his playing time.  And it did last night.

6. Knox was really not in the game plan.  I figured he would be, but those quick hitch passes were not his jam.

7. Kupp was dangerous all night and yet not very dangerous.  

8. R-E-S-P-E-C-T..  Nationwide, coast to coast.

9. Bills put so many things on film last night.  That has to scare and demoralize the competition.  Heck even Keyshawn was forced to admit it today.

10. Von's impact on this team can't be overstated.  We now have two pillars on this team, Allen and Von. The ying and the yang.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, wjag said:

A few more things I have thought about.

1. Bass kicking that ball out of bounds was brutal and led to Rams points. How does that happen indoors?

2. The ST play to open the third was one of the pivotal plays of the game.  Pinning them back and forcing a punt was huge.

3. The play of the night for me, and it didn't work, was the endzone throw to Diggs.  Allen acted like he was going to rush up the middle and then he throws late to Diggs.  That was a Mahommes-esque kind of play.  The lineman can't release downfield for that to work.

4. The Gabe Davis TD was a perfect and I mean perfect game fake.

5. Poor Cook.  A bad way to start your NFL career.  That fumble will have lingering effects on his playing time.  And it did last night.

6. Knox was really not in the game plan.  I figured he would be, but those quick hitch passes were not his jam.

7. Kupp was dangerous all night and yet not very dangerous.  

8. R-E-S-P-E-C-T..  Nationwide, coast to coast.

9. Bills put so many things on film last night.  That has to scare and demoralize the competition.  Heck even Keyshawn was forced to admit it today.

10. Von's impact on this team can't be overstated.  We now have two pillars on this team, Allen and Von. The ying and the yang.

I think they ask for some precision kickoff work from Bass and it backfired for them on that one.

Thanks for the writeup.

Things I noticed on offense:

- Finally -- FINALLY! -- the Bills made corners pay for lining up 10 yards off the receivers at the snap. They almost never did this under Daboll. Quick hitches, slants, that little screen to Crowder...this is such a key thing that the Bills have potentially added to their offensive arsenal.

- Second quickest snap-to-throw time of Allen's career. Surely this short passing game script was a response to the presence of Aaron Donald. But if Allen has mastered the short game to this degree, look out NFL.

- Davis played 30% more snaps than Diggs, and may already be the Bills' de facto #1 WR. If he's not there yet, I predict he will be by season's end.

- Crowder looked smart and savvy out there. In my opinion, is going to wind up getting more snaps from the slot this year than McKenzie. Just my prediction.

- Dorsey called a masterful game and Allen executed it wonderfully. 9 out of 10 on third downs simply does not happen in the NFL. Wow.

Things I noticed on defense:

- The Bills blitzed ZERO times, but managed 7 sacks, 15 QB hits, and 3 INTs.

- McDermott and Frazier may FINALLY achieve their dream of creating consistent pressure on the QB without ever having to blitz. If so, look out NFL.

- Hyde and Poyer are still absolutely elite, and are the biggest factor in the Bills being able to play the type of pass defense they do.

- Benford did NOT look like a rookie out there. Elam did a bit at times, but certainly wasn't a disaster.

- Jordan Phillips is about to have a monster year.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Things I noticed on defense:

- The Bills blitzed ZERO times, but managed 7 sacks, 15 QB hits, and 3 INTs.

And more importantly, no roughing the passer penalties.

• Like (+1) 4

17 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

No...sorry, the WR has to come back to the ball on that play. It wasn't a great throw but if Crowder does the fundamentals he is taught it was a pass breakup not an INT.

I can almost 100% guarantee you in the film room sessions the Bills have this will get brought up.

Any time a CB cuts across a WR face like that on an INT on a crossing route it's partially on the WR for not driving back to the ball. That's something you learn in high school and maybe even in Pop Warner nowadays.

Crowder had 2-3 yards on the defender and was wide open. That ball was thrown late by Allen. He wasn't being pressured, he just waited too long and made a bad throw.

724855269_AllentoCrowder.thumb.jpg.207564378914e6d5b827ee2c11aa72e7.jpg

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

- Davis played 30% more snaps than Diggs, and may already be the Bills' de facto #1 WR. If he's not there yet, I predict he will be by season's end.

Davis played more because he's included in that jumbo package that we ran a few times last night (ie his TD catch). Also, wr's come out after being targeted or make a catch (most of the time). Diggs saw more targets and had more catches which distort the snap count.

Don't get me wrong, Davis is great but he won't be our #1 as long as Diggs is here.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.