100 yard rusher vs 300 yard passer winning percentage - interesting

Big Blitz

Just now, GunnerBill said:

No they couldn't block anyone. Until week 12 or 13 the Bills oline was one of the worst olines in the league last year. They played well for 6 weeks down the stretch.... but the offensive line was freaking horrible before that. It was the reason the Bills were not the #1 seed. Zero doubt in my mind. 

Going in to the season with basically only Singletary because Moss was never right is mind boggling looking back.  

My guess is the optimal win formula is for the QB to pass for250-275 and your RBs to combine for 125-150. 

That said, to win consistently in modern NFL you need a QB and an offense that is capable of putting up 400 pass yards when needed OR a legendary defense.

Bills have the QB. Lets hope Dorsey is a capable OC and the defensive front 7 is better.

14 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

What? How is that your take from last years season?

Um no.  It's one take of many about last year's team.  

If Moss was never right (everyone including him) has said so, we could have added someone better than Brieda.  

I wanted to try and trade for Melvin Gordon at the deadline - but it ultimately worked out bc Motor was good down the stretch.  

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

No they couldn't block anyone. Until week 12 or 13 the Bills oline was one of the worst olines in the league last year. They played well for 6 weeks down the stretch.... but the offensive line was freaking horrible before that. It was the reason the Bills were not the #1 seed. Zero doubt in my mind. 

100% agree. The whole line with the exception of Morse played poorly for the first 3/4ths of the season.  Dawkins' turnaround was remarkable. Moving Williams to guard and playing Brown even with his uneven play was a big upgrade and then of course Bates played well.

Lots of question marks this year but on paper they should be a better unit to start 2022 than they were to start 2021. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Weird to think that only 1 out of every 5 QB performances (112-544) results in a 300 yard game. 

I don't know, maybe that is just me.  That's about 6 (edited/corrected - 112 total over 18 weeks) guys a week out of 32 throwing for 300.

Actually the NFL season consists of 272 regular season games... keep in mind that each game involves 2 teams so there are only 16 games per week on average.

Regardless of the debate, what's interesting to me is that last year there were 103 individual 100 yard rushing games vs 112 300 yard passing games.

I would have expected there to be fewer 100 yard rushing games and more 300 yard passing games.

• Like (+1) 1

In case anyone is interested I dug up a post from 2019 where I attempted to compare winning pct based on rushing yards vs. winning pct based on passing yards. The results for rushing yards weren't surprising, but the results for passing yards were.  Here's a screen grab of the numbers (years 2015-2019 games). 

image.thumb.png.5823f7a02def18b49078b328281077e0.png

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Actually the NFL season consists of 272 regular season games... keep in mind that each game involves 2 teams so there are only 16 games per week on average.

Regardless of the debate, what's interesting to me is that last year there were 103 individual 100 yard rushing games vs 112 300 yard passing games.

I would have expected there to be fewer 100 yard rushing games and more 300 yard passing games.

272 games means 544 qb performances, high is what I indicated.  Although, I didn’t do the math on the playoffs, but I can’t remember whether they included those.  Two QBs in a game can pass for 300 yards.  Each team plays 17 games and their are 32 teams.  We are in full agreement on the 272 games!

agree about the rushing, too.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, KzooMike said:

Is this a causation/correlation issue?  Teams that are ahead run the ball more. Is this stat more reflective of that or a type of strategy within the game? This has been talked about for a very long time. I just think it’s more of causation issue nowadays. Good teams pass. That seems pretty clear from an observational standpoint. 

right? I’d venture if you did 65 yard rushers vs 195 yard passers in the first half of games (ie not running the clock out or garbage time catch-up stats) it probably flips back to passing  being the advantageous 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

300 yard games in today's NFL don't mean much.  "It's a passing league" after all.   

Matt Ryan and Eli Manning are #8 & #9 all time in passing yards. 

And yet as dollars 2 donuts points out, only 1 out of every 5 QB performances last year (112-544) resulted in a 300 yard game.

That's probably fewer than most people would think. 

This is not the least bit surprising since teams run more when ahead. People tend to forget that the best option for winning is to exercise your greatest advantages over your opponent, assuming game conditions favor that approach. The rules were changed to open up offenses, so more passing, but if you have D Henry at RB and your offense isn't centered around Henry, you're an idiot. Besides, I think the game has lost a good balance between run and pass and is slightly less interesting because of it.

5 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

And yet as dollars 2 donuts points out, only 1 out of every 5 QB performances last year (112-544) resulted in a 300 yard game.

That's probably fewer than most people would think. 

I look at it from this standpoint.  A 4500 yard season for a QB used to average out to 281 yards per game.  (16 game season) 

That's still a monster season as far as yardage.  

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I disagree, Josh needs a running game to rely on so he doesn’t get killed trying to constantly run the ball himself. Also I’m sure his INTS would go down if he has a consistent running game to rely on

No, you can't be sure about something like that, that's a guess.

Might be correct. Might not.

But we know that our run game was better in 2021 than in 2020, in YPA and in total yards. Yet Allen's passing was slightly better in 2020, and a signficantly higher INT percentage in 2021 despite the run game being quite a bit worse in total.

Certainly there were other reasons for this it's not a great correlation. But that's the point. You can't assume that your imaginary alternate reality correlation will be true or even if they happened would be true through cause and effect.

15 hours ago, prissythecat said:

9 rushes vs something like 45 pass attempts.  

Um, no. 9 rushes by running backs, not 9 rushes. And numbers introduced by phrases like, "something like" are right out there as guesses.

Guessed numbers wouldn't show anything anyway. What if they were higher? Lower? We have no idea what would have happened. All we really know is that the whole offense played awful, that the line was overwhelmed, and that when they did run, the backs the results sucked. Thinking those numbers showed they should run more makes no sense. They can't run and they can't pass and that means they should have run more and things would have been better? There's no logic there.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.