Stadium Renderings are here!!!

Steel City Mafia

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

A common misconception. The overall funding is set, but that doesn’t mean the categories within the funding are set in stone. In construction projects there’s a difference between budget and costs. I deal in many projects where after the design is set, the Public Agency comes in and says ‘we want to implement a LCP’….commonly known as a Labor Compliance Program. This means there’s a unique requirement for labor unions etc to get the lions share, if not all of the work. At that point we tell the Client “so what do you want to cut out of your project to pay for your increased labor costs”.

There could also be cost increases already due to inflation and rising wages.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

There could also be cost increases already due to inflation and rising wages.

That’s definitely true. We’re experiencing that on projects every day. The challenge there is that groundbreaking isn’t slated for over a year from now and nobody has a crystal ball to tell them where prices will be at that time. I a project as large as an NFL Stadium just a 10% uptick can mean $150 million! 

30 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

That’s definitely true. We’re experiencing that on projects every day. The challenge there is that groundbreaking isn’t slated for over a year from now and nobody has a crystal ball to tell them where prices will be at that time. I a project as large as an NFL Stadium just a 10% uptick can mean $150 million! 

And 10% is probably very conservative over the length of the project.

1 hour ago, Matt_In_NH said:

And 10% is probably very conservative over the length of the project.

It is indeed conservative but believe it or not we actually plan in for what the industry calls ‘escalation’ over the life of a project. What we cannot plan for is ‘inflation’. That’s when price increases outpace escalation. It’s a real problem when trying to forecast the cost of any construction project right now. 

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

That’s not true. I believe groundbreaking was supposed to be spring of 2023. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Jukester said:

“Wilson, as a representative of the Play Fair campaign, is calling for $500 million in reinvestment from the Bills over the 30-year new stadium lease.”

that’s the entire state share to the project. Sounds more like a hostage situation to me. I thought it was 5-10 dates to use it, a suite or two and some free tickets every year. WOW. 

Now it's been 10 thousand years man has cried a billion tears for what he never knew, now mans reign is through. But through eternal light the twinkling of starlight

So very far away, maybe it's only yesterday......

Edited by HOUSE

5 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

It doesn’t take this long to design a sports stadium. I’m guessing there’s a lot of construction budget and project funding talk going on behind the scenes, and until those variables are set in stone, all renderings are going remain under wraps. 

Obviously changing it to a dome.

1 hour ago, mrags said:

That’s not true. I believe groundbreaking was supposed to be spring of 2023. 

With no published renderings in Mid October, it is hard for me to see a Spring 2023 Groundbreaking, but projects can indeed be fast tracked.  In construction, however things are not priced to the Groundbreaking date, but rather to what is known as the Mid-Point of Construction. So, even if they do 'break ground' in six months, the pricing will be based on the halfway point from that date until the Grand Opening.  Which, right now, is very difficult for even the best of Contractors to forecast. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

With no published renderings in Mid October, it is hard for me to see a Spring 2023 Groundbreaking, but projects can indeed be fast tracked.  In construction, however things are not priced to the Groundbreaking date, but rather to what is known as the Mid-Point of Construction. So, even if they do 'break ground' in six months, the pricing will be based on the halfway point from that date until the Grand Opening.  Which, right now, is very difficult for even the best of Contractors to forecast. 

I don’t care about the costs at this point. I’m concerned about the start date. They previously stated groundbreaking would be spring of 23. At this point I don’t care about renderings or anything of the sort because I still believe they will hit groundbreaking in the spring. If that is delayed there may be an issue. 

1 minute ago, mrags said:

I don’t care about the costs at this point. I’m concerned about the start date. They previously stated groundbreaking would be spring of 23. At this point I don’t care about renderings or anything of the sort because I still believe they will hit groundbreaking in the spring. If that is delayed there may be an issue. 

Okie Dokie....it is pretty hard to break ground on anything if you don't first have an idea of what you're building. These are very complex structures. They do not start and one end and hope it all comes together when they get to the other end.  As I mentioned above, I'm guessing the issues are all surrounding costs at this point.  They don't want to publish renderings that later cause people to say "Hey! This is not what we were shown/promised!"  That doesn't mean they cannot start some of the infrastructure and site clearing activities this coming Spring.

The mall here, DestiNY, used to be Carousel, had their groudbreaking for the expansion, and then continued to change what they planned on building as the years went on.  Groundbreaking was in 2002, construction did not start until 2007, the expansion was officially opened in 2012. It was originally slated to be done and opened in 2004. 

Edited by Just Jack

3 hours ago, mrags said:

I'm guessing that everything in the background is done but they are waiting to settle the benefit to the community crap