Jump to content

Ideas for development around new stadium


mjd1001
 Share

Recommended Posts

Not sure if this was posted yet or not, haven't seen it:

 

full article:  https://www.wgrz.com/article/sports/nfl/future-of-the-bills/economic-development-ideas-new-buffalo-bills-stadium-site/71-6bf9dc8b-f307-4e56-abc8-0bebb1a86d17

 

Lorentz envisions both the Patriot Place retail, office, services mix concept as we've shown you before surrounding Gillette Stadium in the much larger Boston market.

But actually, the Titletown development built around Lambeau Field in Green Bay may be closer to the mark. He is already in touch with their planners.

 

Lorentz also has an idea for a location, but it's not right around the stadium. Lorentz suggests land right across from the existing Quaker Crossing retail complex on Milestrip Road.

"Build across the street from there," Lorentz said. "Build a beautiful hotel, a museum, everything else, and you're within walking distance to the stadium, or we can shuttle people to the stadium from there."

 

 

Personally, that last part I don't like. Building something "Bills related" that is over a mile away from the stadium to shuttle fans back and forth seems more like someone trying to get a land development deal done than building something for the fans.  'Walking distance' to the stadium is not 1.5 miles away, if you can't figure out something that is within sight of the new stadium, then that distance is too far.

 

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Dislike 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

The problem with putting anything around the stadium has to do with where the stadium is located. Who is going to drive out to Orchard Park when the Bills aren’t playing? Limits possibilities for anything. This was the major Con to building the stadium in Orchard Park

A small museum dedicated to Bills history, a nicer, expanded Bills store. A cafe/restaurant/eatery open not just during games, and one or two other things (maybe a small, nice hotel) is something they can do.  Patriot Place I don't think can be replicated in OP, not enough demand for it.  But something closer to GB could be done, just DO NOT make it 1.5 miles from the stadium. Anything they do, no matter how big or small needs to be done right near the stadium.

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

A small museum dedicated to Bills history, a nicer, expanded Bills store. A cafe/restaurant/eatery open not just during games, and one or two other things (maybe a small, nice hotel) is something they can do.  Patriot Place I don't think can be replicated in OP, not enough demand for it.  But something closer to GB could be done, just DO NOT make it 1.5 miles from the stadium. Anything they do, no matter how big or small needs to be done right near the stadium.

I was in Boston last month and my Pats* loving extended family wanted to go but besides the mall nothing to do there until late in day. The top golf and other amenities are closed until at least 4 pm, so I don't think it is feasible in OP.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I was in Boston last month and my Pats* loving extended family wanted to go but besides the mall nothing to do there until late in day. The top golf and other amenities are closed until at least 4 pm, so I don't think it is feasible in OP.

Even near Boston with the money and population around there it is an iffy proposition.  I lived in that area in the past, my work office is about 10 minutes from Patriot Place, and when we vacation or visit friends in the area we stop by on occasion.  Not on gameday, but on an average typical weekday, its open but it isn't that busy. Over the years, a lot of shops have come and gone.  

Unless you live right near it, the shine has kinda worn off of it over the years. If you want nightlife, entertainment, or even a fun meal out, The Seaport District in Boston seems to be the new 'in' place to be.

 

I'm sure its great on gamedays or when events are going on, but I'd say 60% or more of time its pretty dead.  And that is in the Suburbs of Boston (not to mention Providence  RI being less than an hour away also.).  I agree something that size wouldn't do well in OP.

 

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Where were these “great” ideas over the last 50 years? Same town, same stadium location, surrounded by all kinds of land.
 

Just a few local political hacks looking to get their names in the paper, and spend someone elses money(developer or taxpayer). 

Edited by BTB
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Even near Boston with the money and population around there it is an iffy proposition.  I lived in that area in the past, my work office is about 10 minutes from Patriot Place, and when we vacation or visit friends in the area we stop by on occasion.  Not on gameday, but on an average typical weekday, its open but it isn't that busy. Over the years, a lot of shops have come and gone.  

Unless you live right near it, the shine has kinda worn off of it over the years. If you want nightlife, entertainment, or even a fun meal out, The Seaport District in Boston seems to be the new 'in' place to be.

 

I'm sure its great on gamedays or when events are going on, but I'd say 60% or more of time its pretty dead.  And that is in the Suburbs of Boston (not to mention Providence  RI being less than an hour away also.).  I agree something that size wouldn't do well in OP.

 

Just spent a few days in the Seaport District

 

I definitely felt it was the place to be in Boston

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Remember When the bills And the city Did an advisory Council to figure out all the details for the stadium? 
 

Remember when They said that a new stadium will bring as much economic impact to Western New York as a new target? 
 

The bills Want a football stadium.. to Play football in… that’s it

Just now, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Without a venue that can conduct events all year, it is very hard to attract and keep restaurants and retail businesses in a reasonably remote location.  I won't use the four letter "D" word here but with the current new stadium design, a big chunk of the year will be inactive.  

The bills are perfectly fine with that… They don’t want a multi use facility they said time and time again

 

They wanna build a football stadium

  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Just spent a few days in the Seaport District

 

I definitely felt it was the place to be in Boston

Boston isn't a city that is known to get stuff done quickly, but it is startling to see how fast they developed that area, compared to what is happening at Canalside, when planning and development started about the same time (within a few years)

 

The seaport district 15-20 years ago was not a place you wanted to be. Abandoned warehouses and empty parking lots.  Yet today, it is filled with glass skyscrapers 20-30 stories tall (or more) for business hotels and apartments, high end restaurants, outdoor plazas, nightlife, rooftop bars overlooking the downtown skyline,  the Childrens museum, new subway stations and more. Its a place that families can walk around feeling safe at night. It hasn't taken away from Downtown boston, instead it is like a whole mini-city that was built attached to it.

Now, I'm not comparing the money available in Boston to Buffalo, but still, that one district of the city is brand new and it probably has multiple times more development in it than all of Western NY combined and it has turned into a really, really great place.

Whoever is in charge of Canalside should look at how things were approved and done there.

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RiotAct said:

Tim Hortons, Delta Sonic, and call it a day.

 

Only if there is room left over after we add the iconic Applebee’s and Dave & Buster’s. That’s what we are know for, after all. 

 

The area is too remote to build much around it. I just can’t see it. Use the space for nearby parking. 

 

 

.

Edited by Augie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Boston isn't a city that is known to get stuff done quickly, but it is startling to see how fast they developed that area, compared to what is happening at Canalside, when planning and development started about the same time (within a few years)

 

The seaport district 15-20 years ago was not a place you wanted to be. Abandoned warehouses and empty parking lots.  Yet today, it is filled with glass skyscrapers 20-30 stories tall (or more) for business hotels and apartments, high end restaurants, outdoor plazas, nightlife, rooftop bars overlooking the downtown skyline,  the Childrens museum, new subway stations and more. Its a place that families can walk around feeling safe at night. It hasn't taken away from Downtown boston, instead it is like a whole mini-city that was built attached to it.

Now, I'm not comparing the money available in Boston to Buffalo, but still, that one district of the city is brand new and it probably has multiple times more development in it than all of Western NY combined and it has turned into a really, really great place.

Whoever is in charge of Canalside should look at how things were approved and done there.

Yeah but do they have shark girl and a bunch of multi-colored adirondack chairs in Boston? The state agency overseeing canalside and the outer harbor should be embarrassed by how slow progress has been.  Worst part of it all…a big hole in the ground for the last decade plus, where the front half of the Aud used to be. 

Edited by BTB
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Augie said:

 

Only if there is room left over after we add the iconic Applebee’s and Dave & Buster’s. That’s what we are know for, after all. 

 

The area is too remote to build much around it. I just can’t see it. Use the space for nearby parking. 

 

 

Maybe Duffs can add a new location.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...