Bills OTAs

YoloinOhio

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah, until you have to face elite offenses like the Bucs and Chiefs and have to cross your fingers they make mistakes. Because if they don't, their talent wins out. And then suddenly you're in a coin flip shootout. I think McDermott is over that now. Bills fans have complained throughout his tenure about his "soft zone" defense but I've never blamed him for it. The caliber of defensive talent has necessitated it. I'm expecting a very different defensive look this year. Putting the players in more one-on-one situations, playing aggressive, taking more risks at the LOS. That's how you stop the Chiefs when Mahomes is playing at his apex. Playing a game of "last one to hold the ball wins" is literally a 50/50 proposition. I couldn't be happier they went out and got players that are going to force mistakes instead of waiting for mistakes to happen.

This is the opposite of how the Bengals frustrated the Chiefs, for the record. But the Bengals could effectively pressure the passer rushing only four. A talented 4-man pass rush could THRIVE with this Buffalo pass defense behind it (players and coaches). It's been the missing piece, despite efforts to the contrary. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

3-0 at home in playoffs.

0-4 on the road in playoffs.......including 2 OT losses.

That's what you need to know about the Bills playing against top teams.

The 2021 Bills were on the road in the divisional round because they didn't take care of business on offense in a 5 game stretch where they lost 3 times scoring just 6 points, 10 points and 15 points.       

You think losing on the road in Arrowhead tells you something?   What about failing to score a TD in Jacksonville against the worst team in football?

If the Bills play that game at home........they probably win by multiple scores.    But having the #1 defense in the NFL didn't get them home field advantage, did it?

Daboll and Allen struggled in the Jags game vs cover 2 shell or tampa 2 defense. Not taking what they were giving them. Lots of upsets happened last year to lots of teams.  They adjusted when teams pulling there ears back and made Allen more of a rb. I'm excited for Cook hopefully scheme take off lots of pressure on Allen.  Plus a better running game helps. It seems like time after again they struggle teams pinning there ears back, Daboll and former o-line coach weakness. Kromer is a better oline coach. 

4 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

This is the opposite of how the Bengals frustrated the Chiefs, for the record.

This is true, but the Bengals honestly got lucky that Mahomes happened to have arguably the worst half of his career. It was inexplicable. The Mahomes that we faced the week prior would have blown them out of the water. Frankly he played poorly in our regular season matchup too. That game should have been closer, he was just missing throws. So yeah that conservative defense style works when the QB is forcing mistakes. But we definitely needed more talent to match up with offenses that aren't making those mistakes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You think losing on the road in Arrowhead tells you something?   What about failing to score a TD in Jacksonville against the worst team in football?

Yes I put more weight in the divisional round of the playoffs than a random mid-season game that the Bills clearly were not motivated for. I already know the Bills offense is capable of putting on a show when it really needs to and when they're motivated. The opposing defense could call the perfect play and our offense could still win it - this happened several times against the Patriots. The opposite was not true. We needed our defense to force stops and they simply weren't capable. I guess what I'm saying is that when our offense won it was more because of talent, whereas when our defense won it was more because of scheme especially after White went down. The defense needed a talent infusion much more than the offense. Did we watch the same playoffs?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

This is the opposite of how the Bengals frustrated the Chiefs, for the record. But the Bengals could effectively pressure the passer rushing only four. A talented 4-man pass rush could THRIVE with this Buffalo pass defense behind it (players and coaches). It's been the missing piece, despite efforts to the contrary. 

Yeah I don't think @HappyDays watched that AFC championship game.    The Bengals zone coverage in the second half was really superior.     Where Patrick Mahomes had Tremaine Edmunds on a string..........Logan Wilson repeatedly frustrated him with instinctive adjustments.    The Bengals do have a better 4 man rush but it still took A LOT of unforced errors and poor play for the Chiefs for KC to blow that game.   If the Chiefs had played THAT game against the Bills then the Bills would have won.  It was a different day.    That element is lost on some people.   The Bills/Chiefs game was the first time that two teams met coming off scoring 40 points in their prior playoff game.  Improving pass rush personnel was a big want........but it was the Bills inability to consistently execute offensively without using Josh Allen like a RB that ultimately sent them tumbling to 7-6 and wasted a golden opportunity at home field advantage. 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Exactly, high and mighty old timer who thinks he instantly knows more than practically every poster.  Don't get too upset about it, he does this to everyone.

Based on what I've seen, limited (thankfully) exposure to his posts:

1. Talks down to most posters, b/c he sits around with his 60+ yr old buddies talking football and makes him instantly knowledgeable.  (although somehow he disregards that some of us actually have coaching/background playing experience, or could just be well educated fans).

2. He also is a season ticket holder, Bills sideline somewhere 20-30 rows up, between the 40s.  Although his other old pals, have seasons and likely closer to field.

3. Every now and then stirs the pot (ie: go search his Beasley/McDermott thread from last season, pure gold...or other topics of "expertise", including Tremaine Edmunds).

Bottom line, long time posters will get benefit of doubt.  Just how it works in these parts.

Back to WR/offense weapons topic, I agree with you, and actually like this year's collective group of skill players better.  Why? Because we have a ton of versatility, and likely improving players.  I don't look at "1-1", who did we lose and replace guys with.  To me, it's a collective skill position group, that should each compliment another player.  Cook, Crowder, Shakir, and Howard collectively bring more to the table than Beas/Manny, just my 2 cents.

Agree, I am excited to see Cook,Crowder, and Shakir in this offense.  Beas and Sanders were aging WR's, both remain not signed by any NFL team (to my current knowledge), which shows that age has had an impact on them.  

As for people like the aforementioned,  Pretending to be the smartest person in the room and actually being that person are completely different.  And usually people pretending are not well liked in their environments lol.

And also - he was added on my ignored list..  easy way to rid myself 

Edited by CaliBills

13 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Daboll and Allen struggled in the Jags game vs cover 2 shell or tampa 2 defense. Not taking what they were giving them. Lots of upsets happened last year to lots of teams.  They adjusted when teams pulling there ears back and made Allen more of a rb. I'm excited for Cook hopefully scheme take off lots of pressure on Allen.  Plus a better running game helps. It seems like time after again they struggle teams pinning there ears back, Daboll and former o-line coach weakness. Kromer is a better oline coach. 

It wasn't just ONE game........they lost 3 games in a 5 game stretch where they simply couldn't score.    That is why they lost the opener to Pittsburgh as well.   The reality is.........the 2020 team with the middling ranking defensively was more successful.    Yeah, the 2021 Bills eventually became dominant on offense again after they started running Allen upwards of 10x per game.   170 QB carries is not a sustainable plan offensively.   They need to be a better offense without resorting to that.   They haven't made that easier by adding dynamic personnel the way they have made playing defense easier.   All due respect to the lauded Tavon Austin signing, of course.:rolleyes:

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

It's not about being happy with the specific depth of one position group. Everyone acts like the only way our team can survive a (God forbid) major injury to Diggs is with a starting caliber WR waiting in the wings. That's not how it works. If the WRs suddenly get hit with the injury bug the TEs will have to step up. Or the run game. Or Allen and Dorsey. Or the defense can step up and make up for some of the lost offensive production. This whole conversation about WR depth is looking at team building in a vacuum. Every part of the team impacts every other part. We all know the Bills have one of the best rosters in the league from top to bottom. Pointing to one specific backup spot as evidence that Beane failed to address a need on the team is worse than nitpicking. There isn't a single team in the league that isn't one or two major injuries away from suddenly falling down a tier. All you can do is use your available resources to build the best roster possible and hope for the best from there. I feel pretty good about this roster, personally.

That IS one way that it can work.  There isn’t ONE way that it works. I’ve stated in other threads that we can overcome an injury to Diggs or Davis as we stand, but we’ll have to change things up and win in different ways….rather than the way that we are currently planning to win.  I think it would be a better choice to upgrade WR and overcome and keep trucking with the original game plan.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Nah, you're wrong........Crowder had been FED as a slot receiver prior to last year when his production fell off.    He and Beasley have both been roughly 7 target per game guys.    

Crowder just hasn't been able to stay healthy for large portions of 3 of the past 4 seasons.

Wrap your head around that fact before you give me sh*t about how HE simply would have put up Beasley's numbers.

And back in 2019 Crowder had 27 f*cking targets in two games against the Bills!:lol:   Do you guys really think he wasn't given his opportunities to put up numbers or that I somehow missed what he was doing?   He was their entire passing game working from the slot.

I think Crowder was at one time the more talented player than Beasley.   He was a 4th round pick, after all.   Is he still?   I don't know, he sucked last year......he had bad bulk numbers, his per games were down,  he missed 5 full games and snaps in others, and had bad underlying numbers(like YAC).

I love the cheap flyer on him but I'm not just expecting him to be better than Beasley(who was frankly disappointing himself in 2021). 

Ultimately, you are what your record says you are in the NFL.     Before you try to tell me what I should know.......be honest with yourself........do you credit every 900 yard receiver who doesn't have a great QB throwing to him as a producer equal of 1200 yard Stefon Diggs?   Of course you don't.

You can't have it both ways.   

Sure thing man.  Crowder definitely would’ve put up much better numbers in Buffalo than in Ny with equal snaps.  And Beasleys numbers would’ve been much less in NY than his numbers in Buffalo.  Ain’t no doubt. 

Premier League No GIF by Liverpool FC

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

THE cover 1 used to post here did he not?

He couldn’t take the heat of honest feedback so he headed for the hills looking for fame and glory and Media accreditation. 

I am very happy with their product that I pay for. If you listen to any content creator they have great respect for cover 1 almost certainly. GunnerBill had a disagreement iirc but that was a while ago. I strongly recommend watching their josh Allen film breakdowns. Best 48 hours of my life that I’ve spent. 

As for badolbillz I also had a bad experience last off-season and put him on mute. But his in season takes we’re reasonable. So considering putting him back on ignore for the off-season based off his antics in this thread. Will see about in season. 

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Sure thing man.  Crowder definitely would’ve put up much better numbers in Buffalo than in Ny with equal snaps.  And Beasleys numbers would’ve been much less in NY than his numbers in Buffalo.  Ain’t no doubt. 

Premier League No GIF by Liverpool FC

you-fucking-idiot-roger-guenveur-smith.g

• Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 5/24/2022 at 9:35 AM, Putin said:

Tre White is on schedule ? For when is that exactly week 1 ? 

Exactly.  The tweet is meaningless without further context.

On 6/14/2022 at 4:44 PM, JerseyBills said:

I can't even argue. You make some great points. I agree.  Hopefully OJ turns it around. 

Luckily our O doesn't have much injury history but we seen with Tre White how easily that can change

He’s feeling the pressure in playing for a team that had the original OJ.

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It wasn't just ONE game........they lost 3 games in a 5 game stretch where they simply couldn't score.    That is why they lost the opener to Pittsburgh as well.   The reality is.........the 2020 team with the middling ranking defensively was more successful.    Yeah, the 2021 Bills eventually became dominant on offense again after they started running Allen upwards of 10x per game.   170 QB carries is not a sustainable plan offensively.   They need to be a better offense without resorting to that.   They haven't made that easier by adding dynamic personnel the way they have made playing defense easier.   All due respect to the lauded Tavon Austin signing, of course.:rolleyes:

Why isn't running Allen that much sustainable? He is young, dynamic, his legs are a huge weapon, and his body seems more than able to sustain the tackles. His running just opens up the offense tremendously. Sure, injury is a concern but he can just as easily get injured trying to pass. I am all for Allen continuing to have designed runs and RPOs. The proof is in the results. When Allen ran the Bills won and the offense was excellent. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

8 hours ago, HappyDays said:

It's not about being happy with the specific depth of one position group. Everyone acts like the only way our team can survive a (God forbid) major injury to Diggs is with a starting caliber WR waiting in the wings. That's not how it works. If the WRs suddenly get hit with the injury bug the TEs will have to step up. Or the run game. Or Allen and Dorsey. Or the defense can step up and make up for some of the lost offensive production. This whole conversation about WR depth is looking at team building in a vacuum. Every part of the team impacts every other part. We all know the Bills have one of the best rosters in the league from top to bottom. Pointing to one specific backup spot as evidence that Beane failed to address a need on the team is worse than nitpicking. There isn't a single team in the league that isn't one or two major injuries away from suddenly falling down a tier. All you can do is use your available resources to build the best roster possible and hope for the best from there. I feel pretty good about this roster, personally.

Exactly...teams with top QB talent can rally when they lose a key weapon on the offense.  Somehow Green Bay managed to go 7-0 over the last few seasons when Davante Adams was out of the lineup.  They even pulled out a win last season against then-undefeated Arizona with both Adams and Lazard sidelined.  Teams adapt and work with what they've got.  Now when Green Bay had to take on the Chiefs without Rodgers...yikes.

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Son of a K-Gun said:

Exactly...teams with top QB talent can rally when they lose a key weapon on the offense.  Somehow Green Bay managed to go 7-0 over the last few seasons when Davante Adams was out of the lineup.  They even pulled out a win last season against then-undefeated Arizona with both Adams and Lazard sidelined.  Teams adapt and work with what they've got.  Now when Green Bay had to take on the Chiefs without Rodgers...yikes.

I was under the impression that every team except the Bills had pro bowl backups at every position. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The first NE game was because of the wind.  And the offense scored plenty in the games around the Jags and Colts games.  Speaking of the Colts game, that was going to be a loss no matter what given the way the defense was playing against the run.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Wrong… Tre White was fully healthy in the Championship game in 2020 and was absolutely torched by Hill and co…. You think Davis has that game against the Chiefs if Diggs isn’t on the other side? 

No way were they “noticeably worse” when White went down… what are you basing this on?

Seriously?  Losing a top-5 CB against a pass happy team like the Chefs wouldn't have made a difference?  LOL!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Tre White was fully healthy in the Championship game in 2020 and was absolutely torched by Hill and co

One bad game a year ago and that means he wouldn't have made a difference in the playoffs this year? That's a pretty strong take. I don't suppose his performance against the Chiefs in October has any relevance? And yeah Scott the defense was obviously worse after our elite CB went down. If we can't agree on that we can't agree on anything. Wallace openly admitted he played the coverage wrong in the final 13 seconds. It would have been White in that position if he was healthy.

You're stretching really hard to prove... what exactly? That defense doesn't matter at all?

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

One bad game a year ago and that means he wouldn't have made a difference in the playoffs this year? That's a pretty strong take. I don't suppose his performance against the Chiefs in October has any relevance? And yeah Scott the defense was obviously worse after our elite CB went down. If we can't agree on that we can't agree on anything. Wallace openly admitted he played the coverage wrong in the final 13 seconds. It would have been White in that position if he was healthy.

You're stretching really hard to prove... what exactly? That defense doesn't matter at all?

It's like someone said earlier: if the Bills had focused more on offense over the off-season, he'd be talking about 13 seconds.  :rolleyes:

After 2 years and that playoff game, it's time for Davis to get his shot at starting full-time.  They added Crowder to replace Beasley and drafted Cook and Shakir.  Worse come to worst, Julio Jones and Ty Hilton are still out there.

On 6/14/2022 at 4:46 PM, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t think they will put him out there 

I agree, nothing good would come from having him talk to the media, it would just rouse up un-needed speculation and the noise that always follows…,

On 6/14/2022 at 8:26 PM, Logic said:

Other than...

re-signing Isaiah McKenzie (who plays a useful role in the offense year after year)
re-signing Ryan Bates (starter)
signing Jamison Crowder (presumed new starting slot receiver)
signing OJ Howard (presumed TE2)
signing Roger Saffold (presumed new starting left guard)
signing Tavon Austin

signing Duke Johnson

drafting James Cook (high capital on a pass catching back for Josh)

drafting Khalil Shakir (long term slot receiver and WR depth)

...You nailed it.

Totally sacrificed offensive investment.

Scottlaw holding true to his MO, a man who always sees the dark side first and foremost, every “concern” he touts is the same for every team every season, every year, It’s so…, if the starting QB goes down we are screwed, well duh…,

Go Bills!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.