Projecting coaches that won't make it to 2023

mushypeaches

2 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Having an odd numbered game schedule is weird. Just for "competitive fairness" it should be 18 games with 9 at home and on the road. The league is heading that way anyway. Preseason probably gets reduced to 2 games. That would be my guess.

Again, “competitive fairness” is not an issue when the numbers show that home field no longer provides any advantage. Go look at the numbers…I believe in 2021, away teams were better than .500.

5 minutes ago, mannc said:

Again, “competitive fairness” is not an issue when the numbers show that home field no longer provides any advantage. Go look at the numbers…I believe in 2021, away teams were better than .500.

I still think the end game for the league will be an 18 game regular season with 2 preseason games. Another week of the regular season means more $$$$.

3 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

New England made the playoffs last year if I recall.

Many AFC teams seem better on paper and I would not predict NE making the playoffs this season.  But no one thought they would make it last year. Lots of things can happen especially wit ha team that has all the pressure to win now like the Bills. Some teams thrive with that others do not. Bills weren't prepared to beat the Steelers week 1 last season and got outcoached in snow game and KC playoff game. 

All that said, this team should win 12 games and no doubt one of those 4 losses will be unexpected.  Its just how the NFL is year after year.

Yes but there's always what appears to be happily married couples suddenly getting divorced.  My point being the honeymoon may be over in NE between Kraft and BB and he might be looking for an excuse to part ways.  Stripping him of his GM role likely would make BB quit so Kraft doesn't look like the idiot who fired a SB winning coach.   Think many of their fans would agree that BB's drafting has not been very good.  Wasn't there a thread here recently about how Kraft is supposedly tiring of the poor rosters?

Could also argue of all the teams with young developing QB's NE did the least to improve the offense around him going into this season.  Allen can make an offense around him better, don't think Jones can do that.

Rivera has done himself no favors with the decision to work there. It was a no win scenario for him, or frankly anyone else,

On 5/1/2022 at 8:31 AM, mushypeaches said:

I thought this would be an interesting exercise to look at with a full 4 months to go before the season starts.  In many years, it's easy to pick out 6-8 coaches that seem to be on their last legs and need a miracle to make it past the upcoming season.  With the unprecedented number of 1st & 2nd year coaches this year, it becomes a little bit more difficult, but I'll try to rank who I think will be out by Black Monday:

1. Matt Rhule (Carolina) - this organization is just flailing about with the continuous mediocre QB carousel and an owner who hasn't won yet and doesn't seem to be the most patient guy around.  Plus - he doesn't seem to have a lot of respect from players and doesn't seem to be much of a game-day coach either.  It's hard to see this team winning more than 6 games, and he'll be done after Year 3.  Rhule is far and away the odds-on favorite and a big game from anyone at #2 and lower on this list.
  2. Mike McCarthy (Dallas) - I gave a lot of thought to Kliff Kingsbury in this space, as I think he's "all hat, no cattle".  But then I looked it up and saw that Arizona gave him a 6 year extension (!).  So it has to be McCarthy, who with all the talent they have on the Cowboys, continues to be a raging tire fire of a game-day coach, as evidenced by the debacle at the end of their last playoff game.  I get that Jerry Jones is often overly loyal to coaches that he can push around (Jason Garrett), but I can't see McCarthy lasting past this season with an older and less talented roster.
  3. Ron Rivera (Washington) - hard to believe that he comes in at #3 on my list with all the hard work that he's done to help improve the image and professionalism of that sorry franchise.  But he's had consecutive 7 win seasons to start his tenure there, which again, might be seen as a positive given all the turmoil at QB, but he's stuck with Jeff George 2.0 in Carson Wentz, who you can't help but think is going to be a disaster in Washington.  Plus, the overall team just isn't that talented either, so you have to wonder if Dan Snyder pulls the plug after this season
  4. Pete Carroll (Seattle) - amazing to see how far this franchise has fallen.  Their drafting and personnel decisions have been a mess the past few years and I think that Carroll's act has grown stale as well.  He's now on the wrong side of 70 and another mediocre season could see him walk away, if not fired outright.
  5. Lovie Smith (Houston) - does he even see year #2 after how ownership treated David Culley?  They're not going to win more than 5 games with Davis Mills and a young roster and Smith just seems to be another placeholder for when they draft a top QB next year and pair him with some rising offensive mind.
  6. Mike Vrabel (Tennessee) - he's been a solid coach for that organization, but he doesn't seem to be on the same page with ownership and/or his GM, and after last year's playoff debacle, I think the Titans could plummet a long way this season, especially if they have more major injuries or Tannehill falls off a cliff.
  7. Kevin Stefanski (Cleveland) - going into a pivotal year #3 - the first season was a raging success, but they went through a lot of organizational upheaval in 2021, and this team could go south quickly in a tough AFC, especially if Watson is suspended for a significant length of time, or if they just lose a lot of tough games.  Never count out Cleveland to have a quick trigger finger with coaching staffs.
  8. Bill Belichick (Satan's Armpit) - he's earned the right to go out on his own terms, but with a noodle armed QB and another underwhelming draft, could this be the year that he walks away?  I hope so after a 6-11 type season!

So that's my outlook on May 1.  I'm sure that many will have different opinions about the rankings but I thought this was a good conversation starter.

I agree with this list for the most part, especially guys like Carroll and Belichik that know the end is in sight regardless of how their 2022 seasons pan out.

Also I still think that anything short of a SB appearance (W or L) for our very own Bills would put McD's future in doubt no matter what fans want to believe. Especially if this team were to not make the playoffs or get bounced in the 1st round of the playoffs, the expectations for this franchise have not been this high since the early 90's and it's simply not about just getting to the playoffs anymore.

• Disagree 1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_National_Football_League_head_coaches

Lots of first year Coaches and guys that shouldn't be fired

Matt Rhule should already be gone

Stefanski will have a lot of heat on him, especially if Watson plays the whole season

McCarthy is always looking over his shoulder

Frank Reich needs to show some consistency and that he can lead a consistent winner. If Matt Ryan doesn't work out, I could see him being let go

Rivera in Washington needs to show more improvement on that roster. They have a lot of talent 

Wentz is enough of an improvement to get the Redskins back into the playoffs with that D. Snyder needs Rivera more than Rivera needs Snyder.

Kliff "Mr. Regular Season" Kingsbury is rightfully on death row.

I have a hard time believing Vrabel will sacrifice his career for Tannehill. Even Mayfield is a step up here.

27 minutes ago, stuvian said:

Wentz is enough of an improvement to get the Redskins back into the playoffs with that D. Snyder needs Rivera more than Rivera needs Snyder.

Kliff "Mr. Regular Season" Kingsbury is rightfully on death row.

I have a hard time believing Vrabel will sacrifice his career for Tannehill. Even Mayfield is a step up here.

Wentz a step up?? From who?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.