Rd 2, Pick 63 (31): RB James Cook, Georgia

Hapless Bills Fan

Not based on 'value' or 'need', but simply based on the fact it's been so long since the Bills Drafted, developed, and used a RB that produced terrific results, I LOVE this pick for the Bills. To get a RB of Cook's caliber AND be able to pick Elam in the 1st so that the team can build deeper CB play, was incredible IMHO. 

Cook will be a very important part of the Offense in the years to come, in my mind. I don't think he's 'the one' out of the gate, but I think they utilize him in specific situations with the intent to increase his role as the season goes on...love this guy!

• Like (+1) 2

Now the question will be who sticks at RB on the roster? After Cook, Singletary is a lock. He's not going anywhere. Taiwan Jones was resigned for ST purposes. I don't see them cutting him, though it could possibly happen depending on how the ST group shakes out. I think both Moss and Johnson are on the roster bubble at this point. We usually only have 2 active RB's on game day because of how they use Taiwan. The 3rd guy is really going to have to stand out and I believe Johnson will show more value than Moss. 

13 minutes ago, H2o said:

Now the question will be who sticks at RB on the roster? After Cook, Singletary is a lock. He's not going anywhere. Taiwan Jones was resigned for ST purposes. I don't see them cutting him, though it could possibly happen depending on how the ST group shakes out. I think both Moss and Johnson are on the roster bubble at this point. We usually only have 2 active RB's on game day because of how they use Taiwan. The 3rd guy is really going to have to stand out and I believe Johnson will show more value than Moss. 

Yes I see Moss getting cut.  Duke is just the better player.  

19 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Actually this report makes me happy, he is a reciever put of the backfield. If they can coach up his blocking he could be an effective weapon. I am not a fan of having one premier running back on a team but would prefer a 1a and 1b type situation and going with the hot hand. 

Singletary started performing much better once he became the #1 guy, who got the overwhelming majority of touches out of the backfield. He never seemed to get into a groove when he and Moss were 1A and 1B. Not saying it can't be done with Cook, but I'm not holding out hope that Singletary will perform like he did the back half of the year if he's in a near-equal timeshare with Cook.

1 hour ago, junior said:

Singletary started performing much better once he became the #1 guy, who got the overwhelming majority of touches out of the backfield. He never seemed to get into a groove when he and Moss were 1A and 1B. Not saying it can't be done with Cook, but I'm not holding out hope that Singletary will perform like he did the back half of the year if he's in a near-equal timeshare with Cook.

I don't necessarily mean they split carries each week but more of the idea they go with best back for the situation. A large part of my comment is based on the fact that teams that rely on one back seem to not do well in the playoffs in general. 

On 5/1/2022 at 10:17 AM, Luka said:

Well bud you're gonna have a rough go of it from here on out. This is how you maintain a team with a $250 million QB on it. Beane doesn't have the luxury of going out and making big splashes in free agency anymore. It's going to be need over "value" every year. And seriously, these grades placed on players only ever matter when trying make hindsight arguments after a player plays for a year or two. The only grade that matters is the one Beane has placed on the player. He doesn't look at Todd McShay's mock draft and go "oh, if Todd thinks this of that player, I better move him on my big board."

Concerning Cook, he was argued to be the best receiving back in this draft. We were not looking for a thumper or a guy that can carry the ball 30+ times a game. Josh needs a reliable outlet out of the backfield at the very least, something Moss and Singletary have proven they can not be. But more than that, just like we're seeing with the tight end room this year, the Bills are looking for guys that can also be split out. I think we're going to see more uptempo. Josh and Dorsey need guys that can catch the football and make plays downfield and in open space and they have to be able to do it from various positions on the field. Howard and Knox are good blockers but have the athleticism to stand up and create mismatches with linebackers and safeties. Cook is great on the outside and has the speed to turn the corner or hit holes in zone runs but he's also an excellent receiver and has the speed to turn quick crosses and wheel routes in to big plays.   

except for Von Miller...

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DCofNC said:

The only thing he shares with Dalvin is a name.  

Watching his video, that's what I think, too.  But someone said if you watch Dalvin in college, he looks a lot like James.   So, we'll see.   If the Bills just drafted Dalvin Cook in the second round (after trading down twice!), Beane is the GM of the decade.  

I think the Bills just got a really good #2 back who could possibly become a #1.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

You list WR, LT, DE, S, and G.  That's all i need to know about your misguided opinion. 

Who is your backup LT?    Quessenberry?  The guy who allowed the most sacks of any tackle in the NFL playing RIGHT TACKLE last year? 

Who is the backup outside receiver behind Diggs and Davis?   Jake Kumerow.   That's who.   The 5th round rookie with 29" arms is not really a big catch radius deep threat on paper.    They are set at slot receiver though.........got 3 of them.

Who backs up Hyde and Poyer?    Are Hamlin and Johnson better prospects than Lee and Griffin and McCloud at CB?    They are just as unproven.   Athletically McCloud has the same raw speed and athletic traits as Kaiir Elam.   It's not like they had nobody with any athletic potential to play a CB position that is protected by scheme.

If Rodger Saffold misses 300 snaps again this year.......who backs him up?    Cody Ford?  Mancz?   I mean if players of that level were all that was needed they could have done the same thing at zone CB. 

Sorry if you don't think talent is needed on the OL but protecting the only reason they are a SB contender............Josh Allen............is job #1.

It's a luxury to have a loaded defense...........it's a necessity to have a healthy QB.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Watching his video, that's what I think, too.  But someone said if you watch Dalvin in college, he looks a lot like James.   So, we'll see.   If the Bills just drafted Dalvin Cook in the second round (after trading down twice!), Beane is the GM of the decade.  

I think the Bills just got a really good #2 back who could possibly become a #1.  

I see a Darren Sproles/Austin Ekeler type. Or Eric Metcalf without the return ability. I think he’ll always be part of a committee throughout his career, but he’ll be the best and most electrifying part of that committee.

There will always be a Singletary or Moss around to do the dirty work — even the Saints platoon Kamara with another guy — but the most exciting stuff out of the backfield will be coming from Cook.

• Like (+1) 1

James won’t be a lead back or a bell cow but what differentiates him from 90% of backs is that he is not limited in the passing game to “release and present numbers” routes. Most of what Georgia did with him looks like what the Saints do with Kamara - most of the time. Run him on quick hitters, or have him release to the flat as an outlet. (That may have something to do with QB limitations too)

But once in a while, they’ll use ‘em in a place that you don’t see RBs pre-snap, like wide on the boundary. Each of those guys can run routes like receivers, track the ball like receivers, catch like receivers. That’s the X-factor with Cook or Kamara. You leave them isolated on a LB at the boundary, that’s a tremendous mismatch, unlike, say, Patrick DiMarco on a wheel route.

I was a proponent of Cook in the 3rd or 4th pre-draft, I hoped for Andersen in the 2nd and Cook in the 3rd as the draft developed, but I’m not going to be put off of what I saw as Cook’s possibilities in this offense due to a perceived reach on draft value.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Logic said:

I see a Darren Sproles/Austin Ekeler type. Or Eric Metcalf without the return ability. I think he’ll always be part of a committee throughout his career, but he’ll be the best and most electrifying part of that committee.

There will always be a Singletary or Moss around to do the dirty work — even the Saints platoon Kamara with another guy — but the most exciting stuff out of the backfield will be coming from Cook.

Agreed, if he pans out.  

He's the kind of guy that playoff contenders can afford to draft in the second round.   If you're coming off several 6-10 to 8-8 seasons, you're taking a bread-and-butter guy you need to be a full-time starter soon.   If you're a contender with a good offense, you're looking for a guy who can add a little juice.   And the guy is available precisely because so many other teams can't afford to be buying juice when they need bread. 

• Like (+1) 6

32 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Who is your backup LT?    Quessenberry?  The guy who allowed the most sacks of any tackle in the NFL playing RIGHT TACKLE last year? 

Who is the backup outside receiver behind Diggs and Davis?   Jake Kumerow.   That's who.   The 5th round rookie with 29" arms is not really a big catch radius deep threat on paper.    They are set at slot receiver though.........got 3 of them.

Who backs up Hyde and Poyer?    Are Hamlin and Johnson better prospects than Lee and Griffin and McCloud at CB?    They are just as unproven.   Athletically McCloud has the same raw speed and athletic traits as Kaiir Elam.   It's not like they had nobody with any athletic potential to play a CB position that is protected by scheme.

If Rodger Saffold misses 300 snaps again this year.......who backs him up?    Cody Ford?  Mancz?   I mean if players of that level were all that was needed they could have done the same thing at zone CB. 

Sorry if you don't think talent is needed on the OL but protecting the only reason they are a SB contender............Josh Allen............is job #1.

It's a luxury to have a loaded defense...........it's a necessity to have a healthy QB.

1. Backup LT: Spencer Brown, they will either plug Quesenberry in at RT, or if Doyle progresses then Tommy.

2. Backup Outside WR: not sure why this is so complicated, we can bump Shakir and/or Crowder outside, not full time but 20-30% snaps per game.  In addition, we split out a TE or RB to the "1" position alot in our empty sets.  Same as last year when Manny was around, Shakir/Crowder will fill his role.  Then yes, Jake will get some time if needed.

3.  Backup S: Yes, IMO, Hamlin could be our starter in another year or so.  He and Johnson certainly capable of filling in, not all pro, but Dane Jackson level talent. So yes better than the DBs you listed.

4. Backup G: this is the one position I agree I'm concerned with depth, however Beane specifically mentioned Cody in his post-draft presser as a player they expect to improve this season.  I'm still not investing in a Rd 1/2 G though.  Sweet spot would have been Round 3, but they liked Bernard.  Quesenberry can kick inside to G as well.  New coaches want "their guys", so I trust Kromer had plenty of say in what he needs up front.  Potentially Boetgger is ready midway through season as well.

5.  Zone CB philosophy: we've "managed" the CB position in past years, but that hasn't got us over the top. We need talent at both corner spots against top tier QBs, plain and simple.

You should go back and watch the Kc game, then listen to Beane and McD post season presser and pre-draft presser.  All point to this team needing more "speed and versatility", and continuing to get after the QB upfront.  Which is exactly what they achieved, via FA and draft.

44 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

But once in a while, they’ll use ‘em in a place that you don’t see RBs pre-snap, like wide on the boundary. Each of those guys can run routes like receivers, track the ball like receivers, catch like receivers. That’s the X-factor with Cook or Kamara. You leave them isolated on a LB at the boundary, that’s a tremendous mismatch, unlike, say, Patrick DiMarco on a wheel route.

This states the receiving part of the equation really well.  Patrick DiMarco, or even Devin Singletary.  Cook looks like a true receiver.  

And I think the flip side is equally true.  He's a true running back.  When he lines up in the backfield, it's different from putting McKenzie back there and asking him to make plays. 

I think the Bills really wanted Cook, and I'm a little surprised they traded back twice before taking him.  

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

1. Backup LT: Spencer Brown, they will either plug Quesenberry in at RT, or if Doyle progresses then Tommy.

2. Backup Outside WR: not sure why this is so complicated, we can bump Shakir and/or Crowder outside, not full time but 20-30% snaps per game.  In addition, we split out a TE or RB to the "1" position alot in our empty sets.  Same as last year when Manny was around, Shakir/Crowder will fill his role.  Then yes, Jake will get some time if needed.

3.  Backup S: Yes, IMO, Hamlin could be our starter in another year or so.  He and Johnson certainly capable of filling in, not all pro, but Dane Jackson level talent. So yes better than the DBs you listed.

4. Backup G: this is the one position I agree I'm concerned with depth, however Beane specifically mentioned Cody in his post-draft presser as a player they expect to improve this season.  I'm still not investing in a Rd 1/2 G though.  Sweet spot would have been Round 3, but they liked Bernard.  Quesenberry can kick inside to G as well.  New coaches want "their guys", so I trust Kromer had plenty of say in what he needs up front.  Potentially Boetgger is ready midway through season as well.

5.  Zone CB philosophy: we've "managed" the CB position in past years, but that hasn't got us over the top. We need talent at both corner spots against top tier QBs, plain and simple.

You should go back and watch the Kc game, then listen to Beane and McD post season presser and pre-draft presser.  All point to this team needing more "speed and versatility", and continuing to get after the QB upfront.  Which is exactly what they achieved, via FA and draft.

No pun intended, but let's back up a second here.  

When you have a relatively loaded roster, which the Bills have - some true stars and plenty of above average starters, there's always going to be what looks like a big drop off in depth.   The guys who would look like decent backups for Poyer and Hyde, for example, are guys who are good enough to starters on rebuilding teams.  They don't want to be backups when they can start, and they can get paid more starting somewhere.  

Every team wants offensive linemen, starters and backups.  Why take backup money in Buffalo when you can get starter money someplace else?

Plus, good teams like the Bills have a lot of money wrapped up in their QBs, and if they're lucky, they've committed money to a Diggs and a Miller.   So, the Bills just don't have the luxury of having overpriced backups sitting around.  

Finally, if the only problem worth talking about in Buffalo is the quality of the backups, that means there's a lot stuff to be happy about.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

LOL if you think Spencer Brown is not the starter at RT.......I got some land to sell ya

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

LOL if you think Spencer Brown is not the starter at RT.......I got some land to sell ya

I think he meant that if Dion goes down they would flip Brown to the other side and bring in a RT, which is something they did last year when Dion was out. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.