Off Topic guess Lamar’s new contract

78thealltimegreat

On 3/31/2022 at 4:30 AM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Whatever it is he doesn't deserve it, just not a good QB

With Joe cool in Cincinnati the cliché is -

they have to keep up with the gun slingers 

they extended Harbaugh 3 years.  

maybe that’s what they will tie Lamar to?

And Roman as well.
move away from either of those people and we may just see the move to a passing QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/30/2022 at 12:57 PM, Rochesterfan said:

It was interesting as I listened to guys from the Owners meeting talking about QB contracts and LJ.  Basically - the premise is that according to the CBA any guaranteed money in the contract has to be placed immediately in an escrow account and is not available to the owner after that point.  It prevents an owner from going bankrupt and the NFL being on the hook for the money.

In talking with Baltimore owners and front office - the reporter basically came out and said they did not want to tie that much money into an escrow account to have the huge guaranteed money like Watson.  He is fine doing a big contract, but wants only a fraction 25% or less guaranteed.

The reporters were saying they expect this to be a Kirk Cousins style showdown where they franchise tag him at least twice and then look to trade him rather than tie upwards of 230 million into an escrow.  

It bears watching because they said they got similar vibes from Arizona and Cincinnati ownership with the guaranteed money.  They expect at least 2 of these 3 franchises will end up franchising and trading their QB to avoid the 100% guaranteed contract.

This rule was why the Raiders traded away Khalil Mack.  They were still in Oakland, which had the lowest revenue of any NFL franchise and ownership with no other significant source of income.  Davis just didn’t have the cash to put into reserve for his contract.

It is a rule that is no longer needed but it will need to be negotiated out of the CBA.  The owners have to decide that they want to get rid of it (and many don’t), then they have to give up something to make that happen.  That’s why it hasn’t been done yet. 

I’ve had this discussion with others: even though the cap raises every year, the percentage of the cap the QB occupies has increased significantly in the last decade. The wealthiest QBs used to pull in about 10-12% of the cap, now they’re over 20%.

There was an article in The Athletic talking about how owners may go the way of the “max contract” like the NBA has. I believe @GunnerBillwas saying there’s a real problem with recognizing how lesser talents should be slotted because GMs HAVE TO HAVE a guy. Lamar is lesser than Mahomes and Allen, but if he had an agent would probably bring in more than the two if the contract was done right now.

Edited by JayBaller10

7 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

I’ve had this discussion with others: even though the cap raises every year, the percentage of the cap the QB occupies has increased significantly in the last decade. The wealthiest QBs used to pull in about 10-12% of the cap, now they’re over 20%.

There was an article in The Athletic talking about how owners may go the way of the “max contract” like the NBA has. I believe @GunnerBillwas saying there’s a real problem with recognizing how lesser talents should be slotted because GMs HAVE TO HAVE a guy. Lamar is lesser than Mahomes and Allen, but if he had an agent would probably bring in more than the two if the contract was done right now.

I was. I think part of what is driving that increase is the market inefficiency that the good not great guys for a while were re-setting the market... there was a run where Derek Carr, then Kirk Cousins, then Matt Ryan re-set the market in quick succession. So when it then came the turn of the elite guys in that period - Russell Wilson and Aaron Rodgers their agents were saying "if Matt Ryan is X my guy must be Y" and the inflation ratcheted up. Then Mahomes blew the market out of the water, and Allen slotted in right behind but then Prescott and Stafford two of the guys in that next tier down after the elite guys get $40m and so when the next elite guy comes up in Rodgers he blows the market apart again. And then there is the crazy deal the Browns did with Watson who (leaving everything else aside for a moment) on the field was that guy hovering just on the fringe of elite behind the top 4 or 5... but hasn't played for a year and got a $46m, fully guaranteed deal - which re-sets the market in a different way to AAV. 

I don't know what the answer is, but I do know the fundamental market inefficiency is that QB demand outstrips supply and so the good not great guys get paid almost the same as the great guys. 

• Agree 1

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/ravens-qb-lamar-jackson-reportedly-035101283.html

Lamar Jackson reportedly waiting until after 2022 season to negotiate new contract

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Jackson has told the Ravens that he’s currently too focused on having his best possible year and that he doesn’t want to do a deal until the 2022 season is over.”

😝 such bs

31 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Lamar Jackson reportedly waiting until after 2022 season to negotiate new contract

😝 such bs

I get the idea betting on him self but IMO thats not a smart move , he could have a bad season or even worse gets hurt again . Since his MVP season his numbers have been going down 

Wouldn’t surprise me to see Miami going after him next year 

Edited by Putin

31 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

😝 such bs

22 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

If he gets hurt again this year this will have been one of the stupidest player decisions of all time.

More likely Ravens are in no hurry to resign him and he knows it.   They need to see another full season.

• Agree 1

• 3 months later...

With the Kyler Murray signing I didn't think it would be long before some more rumors about Lamar's contract surfaced.  Enter CBS Sports...   I hope Lamar breaks the Raven's bank...

👀

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player/710/lamar-jackson

CBS Sports' Jonathan Jones believes Lamar Jackson should be "aiming to match and top [Deshaun] Watson's guaranteed deal" in his contract negotiations with the Ravens. 

"That should still be the bar for Jackson," Jones said, adding that Kyler Murray's contract extension shouldn't impact Jackson's talks with the Ravens. "Obviously, negotiations are what they are, so what one side's starting point is doesn't mean that will be the ending point. Perhaps Watson's deal will remain anomalous as NFL team owners act as though it doesn't exist." Watson signed a fully-guaranteed five-year, $230 million deal with Cleveland -- $80 million more than the previous record for guaranteed money. It seems unlikely the Ravens will top Watson's guarantees, though Jackson's extension should top Murray's recent deal. Jackson -- who is not represented by an agent -- continues his prolonged talks with the Ravens as the team's training camp kicks off. "

Edited by Inigo Montoya

49 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

With the Kyler Murray signing I didn't think it would be long before some more rumors about Lamar's contract surfaced.  Enter CBS Sports...   I hope Lamar breaks the Raven's bank...

So do I.  He has been known to be partying when he was unable to practice.  I do not think he is a player you give a guarenteed contract to and you hope another team will offer picks and/or players for him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.