Off Topic guess Lamar’s new contract

78thealltimegreat

I like Jackson more than most on this board. But if I was the Ravens I would do what Dallas did. I would let him play on his 5th year guarantee and then tag him.  That is two more years to determine if he is a long term fit. History would say guys that run this much just don't last.  He is not built like Allen.  He is a better QB and passer than most on this board give him credit.  But I don't think he is an elite passer.  He is an elite talent but not an elite QB.  I'd pay elite money on the franchise tag for a year but I would not commit long term dollars.  I would take my chances on letting him walk and find another guy in the draft or free agency in the future.  

As for QB money in general, I really think the NFL needs to create a salary cap system that allows teams to pay the QB or perhaps any one designated player, as much as they want and then the other 52 count against a smaller cap amount.  The current system punishes teams too much for actually succeeding in the hardest thing in all of professional sports - find an elite QB via the draft.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

Hes a unanimous MVP Qb.  Its the easiest deal to do.  I want x more than Watson fully guaranteed.  I dont have a MBA or passed the bar.  Its not complicated for a good Qb.  

"No" - Ravens

Now what?

It definitely isnt the easiest deal to do seeing as how he isnt a typical QB, puts his body at more risk with his running, and missed time due to multiple COVID infections while refusing to be vaccinated (I get all the COVID stuff is over, but who knows what comes up next that he wont play along with and cost himself time). Plus, that MVP award he won is looking more and more like a joke considering he's never made it past the Divisional round while being on a well-built, well-managed, well-coached team.

So nah, I offer him Dak money at best. See how he negotiates with that.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

The Browns really screwed the rest of the league by giving Watson that huge contract.  Every mediocre or better QB is going to basically tell their current teams to pay up or just wait to get traded and get the new desperate team to pay them.  It's a win-win for the QB's

As noted earlier, our contract with Josh is going to look smarter and smarter every year down the road

Not saying this would happen but what if Josh pulled a Watson and wanted out?  That is how this whole thing started.

Sorry, but it's insane that Lamar is going to get money significantly greater than Josh Allen or Patrick Mahomes.  I don't think Lamar is going to be out of the league in the next few years, but I really think that MVP season he had will be an outlier for his career.  And I don't think he lasts even 10 more years in the league as a high level starter.

But please Baltimore... be stupid and pay him that Watson $230 million guaranteed.  Just insane....

I like Lamar. He's fun to watch. He's not the best passer out of the top 10 QB's though. He relies on his athleticism quite a bit to carry his team. Most of his yards and passing stats (TD's and all) come off of him running around, then finding an open man on a busted play. Last year was just a sample of things to come. A guy who plays like that, running as much as he does, eventually breaks down from injuries. It happened to Vick too. Lamar also doesn't seem like the sharpest tool in the shed. I know he's trying to cut out the middle man and all, but I believe he would benefit from having a Drew Rosenhaus to broker his big contract for him. It would be worth the couple mill it costs him to do so. When it's all said and done I think Lamar gets between $42M-$45M per season on 4 or 5 year deal, somewhere between $150M-$180M guaranteed. 

Edited by H2o

No new contract, they will just kick the can down the street, just tag him and  see if he gets hurt, again, and hope the "QB inflation" subsides

1 hour ago, 13 Second Prevent Defense said:

Not saying this would happen but what if Josh pulled a Watson and wanted out?  That is how this whole thing started.

no, cant compare the two, not even close.

The Watson situation was totally different in that he had a no trade clause despite having a new then $ contract.  

3 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

It’s obvious he’s the next in line for a big payday as I think it would be very difficult to trade the best player the franchise has had since Ray Lewis.

So if Watson got 230 million guaranteed you have to think Lamar is using that as a starting point. 

Hes next in line. 

That doesn’t mean he will get what he’s asking 

Young Guns 

not young “athletes”

1 hour ago, 13 Second Prevent Defense said:

Wont happen.

Remember, the Watson fallout started when the owner reached out to Deshaun and promised he would have a voice in the new HC hiring, and then never bothered to call him.

The Bills have shown that Josh has a well-recognized voice within the organization. Citing Josh's request and comfort with Dorsey as being a primary factor in his promotion to OC. And even Josh being comfortable enough to tweet "No" in response to the tweet about trading Diggs to Dallas.

Terry and McBeane run a completely different ship than McNair and Easterby. We'll be fine.

Jackson, 25, is entering his fifth-year option, which will pay him $23.016 million this season. If the sides are unable to reach a contract extension by next offseason, Baltimore would have to place the franchise tag on Jackson to keep him from becoming a free agent.

He may not see a 6th in B-more 

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Has that ever happened?

Dont know, you look it up but what I do know is the current rate of QB inflation is unsustainable, at this rate in a few year franchise QBs will be getting what, half of the total salary cap.  This qb infation like ANY investment/craze will hit a peak, they always pop  since the great tulip Craze in the 1600s, be it the nifty fifty,  dot.coms, oil and gas, bitcoins, etc etc etc.  Simple human nature.

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

If the demands the same as, much less more than, Watson and guaranteed, they'll franchise him.  Giving into that would be crazy.

I agree and already said so.  I think they will franchise tag would be cheaper yhsn s megs QB deal, they dont have to make up their minds right now and see if he gets hurt again.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.