Off Topic guess Lamar’s new contract

78thealltimegreat

4 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I'll guess 4 years 200mm with 75mm guaranteed. Ravens have potential outs every year

Lamar has never struck me as a book smart person, and going into this without an agent I think he'll go for a deal that has a huge total number and ignore the small guaranteed number. 

As much as everyone likes to act like Lamar is negotiating the contract himself and won't have any help, this is not what athletes do when they're going into these things without an agent. They just hire a lawyer to make sure they don't do anything stupid instead of having a full-time agent taking a significant amount of their money.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I worry Lamar might end up getting screwed like Gordie Howe, making a fraction of what he should have, because he doesn't have anyone who understands the money game looking out for him.

He needs to get a real agent.

Yeah, I don't understand it and it's frankly an idiotic move on his part.  Look at the guys who are considered some of the smartest dudes in the league - they all have agents.  What does that tell you, Lamar?  

I’ve thought for quite some time he is an injury away from a future bust.  In our playoff game in 2020, he only. Managed three points.  

If he doesn’t evade those hits, he’ll have a short nfl career.

I have nothing against him personally and wish him the best.  He’s not in the same league as Mahomes and Allen.

It didn't Help him in 2021, there were so many injuries on the Ravens.

He will ask for a bit more than Watson.  240 all guaranteed.  He is being treated like an idiot for not signing now.  Thats mainly by media talking heads who have relationships with agents.  Last year of his deal on the brink of FA Lamar will hold all the leverage.  It will be a massive deal.  

12 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

I didn't know that rule. It's interesting because there is no way that Mike Brown is putting $200 million in an escrow account because he doesn't have it. 

It was very interesting listening to the team on the Fan here in Rochester - it was some feed with a round table with Jason LaCanfora and a few other insiders - maybe Rapport was on it.  

They said it was never a big deal because most contracts it was 1-2 years of guaranteed money in the past.  The owners were putting 15-20 million away over 2 years and therefore only losing a small amount of interest.

Now the contracts (especially after Watson) are becoming closer to 100% guaranteed and 6-7 years - therefore a guy like Mike Brown not only has to be willing and able to put 230-250 million in an escrow - he can’t touch, access, or get the interest on that money - meaning the owners are then losing out on huge money over the course of 7 years just with interest- let alone investing it someplace.

But I totally agree - I don’t see how Brown in Cincinnati can do a contract like that, but they are going to have to figure things out.

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

Wow.....he is soooooooo screwed.

Larry Tunsil pulled this off successfully, but he was negotiating from a huge point of strength and against a knucklehead in Bill O'Brien.

Not sure Lamar will have the same success with the Ravens FO, but will be interesting to see.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

As much as everyone likes to act like Lamar is negotiating the contract himself and won't have any help, this is not what athletes do when they're going into these things without an agent. They just hire a lawyer to make sure they don't do anything stupid instead of having a full-time agent taking a significant amount of their money.

What's the point of forgoing an agent just to pay an attorney to handle the negotiation? 

The last player I can remember negotiating their own contract was Richard Sherman, and he really did it on his own with no outside help (unless we're counting his wife). Sherman graduated from Stanford and has always come across as intelligent IMO. He settled on a huge incentive based deal with the 49ers with very little guaranteed $$

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Larry Tunsil pulled this off successfully, but he was negotiating from a huge point of strength and against a knucklehead in Bill O'Brien.

Not sure Lamar will have the same success with the Ravens FO, but will be interesting to see.

Hes a unanimous MVP Qb.  Its the easiest deal to do.  I want x more than Watson fully guaranteed.  I dont have a MBA or passed the bar.  Its not complicated for a good Qb.  

3 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I would think the opening of the conversation is 10% more than the Watson deal, all guaranteed.

Lamar has been league MVP and has never caused any trouble on or off the field. 

Played out perfect.  Im curious how its spun by insiders.  Usually, paint the player poorly for not using an agent. 

35 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

I didn't know that rule. It's interesting because there is no way that Mike Brown is putting $200 million in an escrow account because he doesn't have it. 

Well, he might not have the liquid cash to do it I'm sure the team has some banks willing to loan them the money for that. His team has had a profit of more than 50 mil each year over the last decade except for 2020.  Unless he's spending every dime I'm sure he invests some of it and could actually have that coin on hand. 

15 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

He will ask for a bit more than Watson.  240 all guaranteed.  He is being treated like an idiot for not signing now.  Thats mainly by media talking heads who have relationships with agents.  Last year of his deal on the brink of FA Lamar will hold all the leverage.  It will be a massive deal.  

he won't get it

29 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

What's the point of forgoing an agent just to pay an attorney to handle the negotiation? 

The last player I can remember negotiating their own contract was Richard Sherman, and he really did it on his own with no outside help (unless we're counting his wife). Sherman graduated from Stanford and has always come across as intelligent IMO. He settled on a huge incentive based deal with the 49ers with very little guaranteed $$

Agent generally takes a % of the contract vs. a lawyer just getting paid hourly.

The Browns really screwed the rest of the league by giving Watson that huge contract.  Every mediocre or better QB is going to basically tell their current teams to pay up or just wait to get traded and get the new desperate team to pay them.  It's a win-win for the QB's

As noted earlier, our contract with Josh is going to look smarter and smarter every year down the road

• Like (+1) 1

We can see where these contracts are going, I think it sucks.   But I also think the Watson thing is a one off.  He had full leverage over the Browns, he did not want them but they were desperate for him.  Cousins has also gotten fully guaranteed contracts but that did not result in all QB's getting that.

4 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

The Browns really screwed the rest of the league by giving Watson that huge contract.  Every mediocre or better QB is going to basically tell their current teams to pay up or just wait to get traded and get the new desperate team to pay them.  It's a win-win for the QB's

As noted earlier, our contract with Josh is going to look smarter and smarter every year down the road

The Browns clearly told Watson they would give him whatever he wanted if he went there on a trade. It worked if their goal was just to get him there. Terrible thing for the rest of the contracts in the league though. 

Edited by PetermansRedemption

I was completely wrong about Josh Allen’s contract last year. I thought all QB’s would slot behind Mahomes. I thought you’d have a ceiling of Mahomes and a floor of Prescott.

The only good thing about QBs getting more than Mahomes is it shows the cap is expected to make a huge jump over the next few years.

Lamar Jackson probably doesn’t sign for less than Watson.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.