Wordle....What are your starting words??

Special K

56 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Huh?

Process of elimination.  Sometimes it's even easier if you totally whiff on first word.  Next word 5 all new letters. Only 26 letters in alphabet. 

Nevermind.  I read that wrong.  Yeah, I missed twice.

Wait a minute....you read my post and thought I said I only gotten it right once instead of I only gotten it wrong once??

How dumb do you think I am??😝😁😝

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheCockSportif said:

Thanks.  Is there value in creating an(other) aggregate from Wordle, so that we Bills' fans can compete with one another?

No.  Not really.  I was kinda being sarcastic... I THINK NYT is playing a sick joke on us all about how we compete as humans.

😆

Really, just score a 6 or less and you're a winner. 

Kinda like doctors, lawyers, dentists, etc... You just see their degree hanging on wall... But do you ask what kinda grades they got in school?  😆   There's gotta be guys out there that got a C average in medical school doing colonoscopies assembly-line style.  

cc: @BringBackFergy 😉 

51 minutes ago, Special K said:

Wait a minute....you read my post and thought I said I only gotten it right once instead of I only gotten it wrong once??

How dumb do you think I am??😝😁😝

Yes! 😆... 

Your handle is: Special K 😆 

I saw the error of my ways two seconds after hitting send.   I said: "Self, THAT can't be right, let's go back and re-read that!" 😁😇

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Haha (+1) 2

13 hours ago, TheCockSportif said:

My wife got it in 1 today.  1!!!

I've been up and down all week: 2 x 3, 2 x skunked, 1 x 4, 1 x 5, 1 x 6.

Nobody knows today's word let alone starts with it on purpose. 

It's not a common word.  I got it in 1 too after I cleared my browser/cache. 😉  I actually got it in 6 today.

I'd make her take a lie detector test.

😉 

Anyway.   HAIKU might be a good word!

On 4/3/2022 at 12:09 AM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Nobody knows today's word let alone starts with it on purpose. 

It's not a common word.  I got it in 1 too after I cleared my browser/cache. 😉  I actually got it in 6 today.

I'd make her take a lie detector test.

😉

Anyway.   HAIKU might be a good word!

If you are talking about Sunday’s word, believe it or not, I got it in 3(thanks to my two starting words).

As for today’s, it was an easier word than Sunday, yet it took me 6 tries....go figure!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Special K said:

If you are talking about Sunday’s word, believe it or not, I got it in 3(thanks to my two starting words).

As for today’s, it was an easier word than Sunday, yet it took me 6 tries....go figure!

Even if I don't know a word, I still plug a spelling in there and see if it "sticks"... @ worse, the game would only reject it!

I guess that's a Wordle flaw, even guys with bad diction (me) can still play 😆... Which leaves me with... How da heck are other non-English speaking countries doing so well @ Wordle, probably what I just said.  Start plugging letters in. 

Anyway, I guess I learned (vaguely might have known it) the word: TROPE.

😊 

39 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Even if I don't know a word, I still plug a spelling in there and see if it "sticks"... @ worse, the game would only reject it!

I guess that's a Wordle flaw, even guys with bad diction (me) can still play 😆... Which leaves me with... How da heck are other non-English speaking countries doing so well @ Wordle, probably what I just said.  Start plugging letters in. 

Anyway, I guess I learned (vaguely might have known it) the word: TROPE.

😊

I’ve been waiting for them to pick YACHT....that would probably be a tough one for anyone to figure out in less than 6.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah!  Is there a list of past Wordles?  I haven't been playing since day 1. If I was, I'd remember...

Its gotta be somewhere....I’d be interested to see that as well.

• Agree 1

Once I realized that there isn’t a rule that you have to build on the prior word…..in other words use all available information from above….it became too easy.  The second day I did it I lost because I thought that was a rule.  I was “lucky” and had four greens after two guesses.  I then whiffed on four straight consonants that created words.

Nerdle is similarly easy but more fun to me for some reason.

Edited by 4merper4mer
  • Agree 1

The math doesn't lie!

BUT, variety is the spice of life! Everyone's a winner under 6 and it won't judge you... LoL...

CRANE / DEALT  it is!

"ARTS AND IDEAS
Your Wordle coach
This robot wants to make you better at Wordle.
WordleBot — a new project from our colleagues at The Upshot — analyzes your entries after you’ve played and explains how you could have done better. The tips are meant to help you solve Wordle puzzles quicker.
The bot works best if you use the same browser that you use for Wordle. Play it first; then visit the WordleBot.
The Upshot’s program recommends two opening words: CRANE in regular mode, and DEALT in hard mode. It won’t judge if you start each day with a random pick — variety is the spice of life."

Has been proven, by the algorithm, to be best starting word!

It works... Lowered my average.  Get more 3s now than 5s... rarely get skunked. 

Today's, no spoiler:

Wordle 296 3/6

🟨
🟨🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

On 4/11/2022 at 4:23 AM, ExiledInIllinois said:

The math doesn't lie!

BUT, variety is the spice of life! Everyone's a winner under 6 and it won't judge you... LoL...

CRANE / DEALT  it is!

"ARTS AND IDEAS
Your Wordle coach
This robot wants to make you better at Wordle.
WordleBot — a new project from our colleagues at The Upshot — analyzes your entries after you’ve played and explains how you could have done better. The tips are meant to help you solve Wordle puzzles quicker.
The bot works best if you use the same browser that you use for Wordle. Play it first; then visit the WordleBot.
The Upshot’s program recommends two opening words: CRANE in regular mode, and DEALT in hard mode. It won’t judge if you start each day with a random pick — variety is the spice of life."

Has been proven, by the algorithm, to be best starting word!

It works... Lowered my average.  Get more 3s now than 5s... rarely get skunked. 

Today's, no spoiler:

Wordle 296 3/6

🟨
🟨🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Tough  plead rinks

Edit: A variation of this is rough, plead, stink/misty.  

Trying to reverse engineer anything difficult to solve after using those three is quite a task.  That exposes how easy the game should really be.

Edited by 4merper4mer
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Has anyone posted the football player version?

https://www.weddlegame.com/

Lol that was fun.  My first guess got me division and age.  I got it on my 2nd.  Before my first guess i tried to take a guy with a long name not knowing the criteria and assuming it would be letters.  Tre’Davious White wasn’t availabile so I ended up with a guy that really narrowed it down.  I had two greens and a yellow.  What does yellow mean?  Close?

Edited by 4merper4mer

29 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Lol that was fun.  My first guess got me division and age.  I got it on my 2nd.  Before my first guess i tried to take a guy with a long name not knowing the criteria and assuming it would be letters.  Tre’Davious White wasn’t availabile so I ended up with a guy that really narrowed it down.  I had two greens and a yellow.  What does yellow mean?  Close?

I think yellow for the division (i.e. - AFC East) means correct conference but wrong division.

On 4/21/2022 at 9:37 PM, BarleyNY said:

I use SAUTE.  My son uses AEGIS and my daughter uses AUDIO.  I am 53 for 53. 

Everyone is a winner.  You have 6 tries to get a 5 letter word w/26 letters in alphabet! 😏 

Only time remotely getting skunked is on words that you get say last four letters (or similar) w/like 3 choices left... That's just bad luck like:

R OUND

S OUND

F OUND

M OUND 

P OUND

W OUND

H OUND

B OUND

Good luck w/that one with 5-1 choices left.  That's 8 consonants! That's bad luck hitting the last 4 even w/the first try!

So... It's bad luck to LOSE.  

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Everyone is a winner.  You have 6 tries to get a 5 letter word w/26 letters in alphabet! 😏 

Only time remotely getting skunked is on words that you get say last four letters (or similar) w/like 3 choices left... That's just bad luck like:

R OUND

S OUND

F OUND

M OUND 

P OUND

W OUND

H OUND

B OUND

Good luck w/that one with 5-1 choices left.  That's 8 consonants! That's bad luck hitting the last 4 even w/the first try!

Fair point.  When I am in that position I just try words with 4 of the possible consonants in them.  That usually gives me the missing letter on the first try.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

R OUND

S OUND

F OUND

M OUND 

P OUND

W OUND

H OUND

B OUND

Put in a word like “wraps” in that spot to narrow it way down.

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

The algorithm has figured out... That:

CRANE

is the best starting would... You eliminate more 5 letter words than any other word in the English language. 

So, are you an algorithm now? 

I like to start with an “S” in the last position. That is often the correct spot for it because it covers anything that is plural and a lot of verbs. 

On 4/26/2022 at 10:54 AM, ExiledInIllinois said:

R OUND

S OUND

F OUND

M OUND 

P OUND

W OUND

H OUND

B OUND

Thats what broke my 69 game win streak the other day...

The word was CREAK

my last three guesses were:

BREAK

FREAK

WREAK

Why I picked wreak over creak, I’m still trying to figure out.

1 minute ago, Special K said:

The word was CREAK

BREAK

FREAK

WREAK

Yeah... CREAK is stealth.  Most of the time I associate it with: CREEK... Or as we say: CRICK. 😏 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

So, are you an algorithm now? 

I like to start with an “S” in the last position. That is often the correct spot for it because it covers anything that is plural and a lot of verbs. 

CRANE is damn near perfect.   Never fails me. 

Play Octordle... Use CRANE and see how many greens you get.

1 hour ago, Special K said:

The word was CREAK

BREAK

FREAK

WREAK

In that scenario, instead of break guess frown, eliminating f and w.  Then guess batch testing the b and c.

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah... CREAK is stealth.  Most of the time I associate it with: CREEK... Or as we say: CRICK. 😏 

CRANE is damn near perfect.   Never fails me. 

Play Octordle... Use CRANE and see how many greens you get.

If the goal is to finish by six, the first three words should be the focus, not the first individual word.  If you play it right you can use the 15 most common letters in five letter words.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

In that scenario, instead of break guess frown, eliminating f and w.  Then guess batch testing the b and c.

You’re right...I thought of that afterwards....won’t make that mistake again.👍

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.