NFL streaming service in the works

Steptide

I have a revolutionary idea for the NFL streaming package:

NFL names a price. 

If a consumer is willing to pay that price, then the consumer can buy the product. 

That's the end of it. No need for 5 pages of fine print full of "yeah buts" and "if thens" 

I know, it's crazy! 

Edited by TheFunPolice

9 hours ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

That's the point - you get rid of cable but as a cord cutter you now have a plethora of streaming subscriptions to choose from to get what you want.  DirecTV Now, Fubo, YouTube TV, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO Max, Apple TV+, Paramount+, Disney, Peacock, ESPN+, NFL+, etc. you get the idea.

You can only watch so much content at a time. With cable you had to pay for the whole bundle. With streaming, find a service that has several shows you'll watch, and then switch it up once they are done. Max two or three at a time. Anything more is just wasteful.

Right now I have netflix (my toddlers kids shows or id cancel), and Paramount+ (star trek and halo) and Peacock (Brooklyn 99, the office, and some other good background comedies). $30 a month, more than enough content. As opposed to buying 100 different cable channels on a 1 year deal for $30-40 and then $59.99-$69.99 because "$#%@ our existing customers" spectrum.

Edited by What a Tuel

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

You don’t need DIRECTV in order to have NFL Sunday ticket streamed there is an app for that and you can pay separately

Well it requires an APT / no Directv available or active student email 

you can’t just stream it currently without getting around directv as a provider 

14 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

You don’t need DIRECTV in order to have NFL Sunday ticket streamed there is an app for that and you can pay separately

This is the biggest lie that Direct TV puts out there. 

100% completely false. We went round and round with those idiots when we lived out of state. 

If they determine that your address CAN get Direct TV service (even if you live in an apartment building where you CAN'T) they will not let you sign up for streaming Sunday Ticket at any price. I even offered to just pay the Direct TV subscription rate and keep the boxes of crap in my closet since we were not allowed to install it on our high rise apartment building, not that it was even possible. 

No dice. The moron reading the script kept repeating that according to their records, CONGRATULATIONS! We are eligible for Direct TV service! So we couldn't just do streaming. 

Once we got to the manager and I explained he said we couldn't do my plan (give Direct TV free money and just not get service, just so that I could then subscribe to streaming to see the Bills games). Someone had to come install the equipment. 

I told them yet again: we lived in a high rise and we are not allowed to install dishes on the building.

He said according to their system we were eligible for service. 

Such a stupid, inflexible, idiotic company. Dumber than rocks. Instead of all that $$ they got ZERO. 

Every time I see/hear "You now don't need Direct TV to subscribe to Sunday Ticket streaming!" I want to scream. Thank God we now live in WNY and can see the games.

Yes, I know that's what they SAY and ADVERTISE. I've seen it 1000 times (even tried it!). 

Every time we pay our insane cable bill it warms my heart to think not a penny of that $$ is going to Direct TV. I wouldn't do business with them if they paid us to subscribe. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

This is the biggest lie that Direct TV puts out there. 

100% completely false. We went round and round with those idiots when we lived out of state. 

If they determine that your address CAN get Direct TV service (even if you live in an apartment building where you CAN'T) they will not let you sign up for streaming Sunday Ticket at any price. I even offered to just pay the Direct TV subscription rate and keep the boxes of crap in my closet since we were not allowed to install it on our high rise apartment building, not that it was even possible. 

No dice. The moron reading the script kept repeating that according to their records, CONGRATULATIONS! We are eligible for Direct TV service! So we couldn't just do streaming. 

Once we got to the manager and I explained he said we couldn't do my plan (give Direct TV free money and just not get service, just so that I could then subscribe to streaming to see the Bills games). Someone had to come install the equipment. 

I told them yet again: we lived in a high rise and we are not allowed to install dishes on the building.

He said according to their system we were eligible for service. 

Such a stupid, inflexible, idiotic company. Dumber than rocks. Instead of all that $$ they got ZERO. 

Every time I see/hear "You now don't need Direct TV to subscribe to Sunday Ticket streaming!" I want to scream. Thank God we now live in WNY and can see the games.

Yes, I know that's what they SAY and ADVERTISE. I've seen it 1000 times (even tried it!). 

Every time we pay our insane cable bill it warms my heart to think not a penny of that $$ is going to Direct TV. I wouldn't do business with them if they paid us to subscribe. 

Maybe I am just lucky...I dont have Direct TV and I am able to use the mobile streaming app on my ROKU TV.   Been doing it for 2 years.

The only complaint I have is I cant seem to barter with them on price.

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Maybe I am just lucky...I dont have Direct TV and I am able to use the mobile streaming app on my ROKU TV.   Been doing it for 2 years.

The only complaint I have is I cant seem to barter with them on price.

Oh it's total luck with no logic behind it! 

We've lived all over the US for our work over the past 20+ years, so just for fun I put in some of our old addresses into the Sunday Ticket streaming website to see if Direct TV would do us the immense favor of allowing us to purchase this streaming product. 

Some addresses that were single family homes we rented would have worked, and some not. Some apartment type buildings would have worked, some not. No logic at all. 

In fact, one place the house we rented came with a Dish attached, which the previous owner left when he bought a new house and rented us that one. We subscribed to Direct TV because there was no cable in that area. 

When I checked years later, that was one of the addresses that was "eligible" for streaming only package! LOL 

Edited by TheFunPolice

I had Direct TV when they were going door to door selling their systems back in Cape Cod and was a customer for quite a number of years.

They were great once upon a time......but somewhere along the way their service just turned to crap.   When I moved I just cut them off and never looked back.

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

Oh it's total luck with no logic behind it! 

We've lived all over the US for our work over the past 20+ years, so just for fun I put in some of our old addresses into the Sunday Ticket streaming website to see if Direct TV would do us the immense favor of allowing us to purchase this streaming product. 

Some addresses that were single family homes we rented would have worked, and some not. Some apartment type buildings would have worked, some not. No logic at all. 

So there is one other thing....if you rent and your landlord is willing to write a letter that Direct TV is not available in your area....they will override all this and let you use the streaming app.

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I had Direct TV when they were going door to door selling their systems back in Cape Cod and was a customer for quite a number of years.

They were great once upon a time......but somewhere along the way their service just turned to crap.   When I moved I just cut them off and never looked back.

So there is one other thing....if you rent and your landlord is willing to write a letter that Direct TV is not available in your area....they will override all this and let you use the streaming app.

That's good. Maybe that's a newer thing, because we've been in WNY for many years now so between cable for Bills games and Red Zone I've never had any need for it. 

IMO Red Zone is amazing and much better (and cheaper) if you just want to follow the league action on Sundays. 

I actually really dislike this. A few years ago I would have had a different opinion. But the cost of participation in media is just way too high and way too fragmented I am paying way more for subscriptions to Netflix, Hulu, Paramount, etc. Than I ever did for cable and internet combined. This just feels like the first step into the NFL controlling 100% of its games. I think we may be pushing towards a breaking point where it starts to come back to a cable like feature where Sling or Fubo start to package Netflix, Hulu, Paramount in their TV packages. 

Financially, the average American isn't doing great despite what the stock market says. Inflation is way up, wages are not keeping up The average person has $275 in subscriptions (including internet and phone) and $400 in student loans. Even if you remove all your apps (netflix etc) just to participate in the economy the average person is $530 in the hole when they wake up the first of every month. 

But hey, in a couple of years the NFL will charge me $40 per month just to watch the Bills play, so that is cool.....

21 hours ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

That's the point - you get rid of cable but as a cord cutter you now have a plethora of streaming subscriptions to choose from to get what you want.  DirecTV Now, Fubo, YouTube TV, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO Max, Apple TV+, Paramount+, Disney, Peacock, ESPN+, NFL+, etc. you get the idea.

Too many streaming services, eventually i think the big fish will swallow up the little fish and there will be only 2 or 3 , hopefully.

On 3/28/2022 at 9:24 PM, JDubya76 said:

Can I finally dump direct tv?

You haven't needed it since ST went streaming.  I've been getting ST the past 2 years for about $90/season.

Edited by Doc

11 hours ago, What a Tuel said:

You can only watch so much content at a time. With cable you had to pay for the whole bundle. With streaming, find a service that has several shows you'll watch, and then switch it up once they are done. Max two or three at a time. Anything more is just wasteful.

Right now I have netflix (my toddlers kids shows or id cancel), and Paramount+ (star trek and halo) and Peacock (Brooklyn 99, the office, and some other good background comedies). $30 a month, more than enough content. As opposed to buying 100 different cable channels on a 1 year deal for $30-40 and then $59.99-$69.99 because "$#%@ our existing customers" spectrum.

That's exactly what I've started to do, and it's great. I'll have a couple of subscriptions running at one time. When I've gone through most of the current content that interests me with those subscriptions, I'll cancel one or both and add another. You don't pay much that way, and you can watch anything from any service (eventually), as long as you don't absolutely have to watch every show you like the minute it drops a new episode.

• Like (+1) 1

Per source, subscription fees depend on the team you follow.

Bills, Chargers, Bucs, Chiefs are $99.99 per month

Saints, Seahawks and basically the whole NFC North, East, and South are BOGO free.

Jets, Giants, Jags the app will actually pay you.

Pats have a special promo code where if you enter a “*” you’ll get the bootleg version.

There is unlimited Tim Tebow documentaries once you enter a credit card, I hear it has a $50,000 hidden charge.

1 hour ago, Blainorama5 said:

Direct TV streaming is not available at my address and have NEVER wanted to get DTV anyway, so this is VERY welcome news!!

Mine either, which is why I am permitted to get the Sunday Ticket without subscribing to DirecTV. 

29 minutes ago, Doc said:

You haven't needed it since ST went streaming.  I've been getting ST the past 2 years fir about $90/season.

#FakeNews.

ST without any DTV is ~$350/ season through legal means. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.