Interesting Draft Strategy??

wagne591

13 minutes ago, Georgie said:

I don't want to draft TWO guys early that are recovering from injuries. I dont see  each Beane doing it ; he seems to be all in.

He drafted projects last year. I thought the same thing then, that it was dumb to be this close and not take someone that could help now. I could totally see him drafting someone like Williams. 

• Vomit 1

2 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Love Dotson, but the Bills have nobody that is not injured who has proven that they can cover NFL receivers.

Good thing we have like 8 picks and not a lot of needs.  Agreed about the dire need for CB2, but Beane will have the picks to maneuver around in a draft that’s pretty deep with CBs.  Also, Beane seems to have a knack at finding good DB’s in the mid-late rounds.  I completely trust him.

I just like Dotson a lot, and would be thrilled to land him at 25.  Your point is understood though.

15 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Bills to Giants:

Pick 25

Next years 1st and a 5th

Giants to Bills:

7th overall

2023 4th round pick

I made this all up without looking at a trade chart it sounds good to me.  

Secure your CB1

Will take a lot more than that to move to 7

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Big Blitz said:

You don't draft #25 and claim you're all in.

Just aren't.  

If this was the 2019 Bills drafting yes, you stock picks or hold.  

Right, because Beane hasn’t shown he’s “all in” with this team. You have some truly awful takes…

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Just aren't.  

I don’t think they have to trade a future 1st to prove they’re “all in.” Maybe they trade like a 4th and a 6th to move up a few spots and get the CB they really like, but I don’t see any reason to trade all the way up for Gardner when probably McDermotts biggest strength has been coaching up DB’s.

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

Right, because Beane hasn’t shown he’s “all in” with this team. You have some truly awful takes…

Cool.  Super Bowl caliber team competing in an AFC playoff where they could see Burrow and Mahomes or Herbert or Wilson, etc I'll take my chances with my pick at 25.  Maybe trade back.  Get a few more Boogie Basham's.  

Just now, Big Blitz said:

Cool.  Super Bowl caliber team competing in an AFC playoff where they could see Burrow and Mahomes or Herbert or Wilson, etc I'll take my chances with my pick at 25.  Maybe trade back.  Get a few more Boogie Basham's.  

If you were a GM, I have no doubt you would single handedly destroy a franchise in one draft…

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

If you were a GM, I have no doubt you would single handedly destroy a franchise in one draft…

Well fortunately for all I'm just a fan on the internet that wants to increase our odds of turning the 25th pick into the best starter possible for a SB team.

Or maybe just trade back and take the next AJ Epenessa and Zach Moss.    

1 minute ago, Big Blitz said:

Well fortunately for all I'm just a fan on the internet that wants to increase our odds of turning the 25th pick into the best starter possible for a SB team.

Or maybe just trade back and take the next AJ Epenessa and Zach Moss.    

Thank God

11 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

I don’t think they have to trade a future 1st to prove they’re “all in.” Maybe they trade like a 4th and a 6th to move up a few spots and get the CB they really like, but I don’t see any reason to trade all the way up for Gardner when probably McDermotts biggest strength has been coaching up DB’s.

Don't disagree but then again I don't know who we played in 2021 that tells me "yea we can roll with this."

This all comes back to how you see the defense.  

Been saying since 2020 they are pitiful against the run and they completely overhauled the D line.  So maybe Beane sees exactly what many of us were seeing all year and that was an overrated and flawed defense.  

I expect if he thinks he can move up in this draft - WITHIN REASON - to get what he thinks is an ELITE CB he will do it.  And he should do it because we are all freaking in.  

32 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Just aren't.  

You do if you’re not a ridiculous GM. 

Josh Allen is 25.  He gives us a window of over a decade.  

Beane, now more than ever, needs rookie contract talent.   Trading multiple high picks to move up in the first round is nonsensical.  

Why does he need inexpensive talent?.. Because he made the all-in move of signing Von Miller.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

It would very likely take two firsts and a second and more to get up to the 7th ish pick, or something very close to that, Beane isn’t going to do that, it very unlikely the Sauce or Stingley thing is gonna happen, 

First, this is a scenario where they drop a little. I've seen MANY mocks where one of the two is available around the 12-14 range.

Second, traditionally our 1st and 2nd would get us to 17. But in a year without QBs at the top, I get the feeling people are looking to move down and get picks for next season. So the price may be cheaper.

Lastly, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that if he feels either are worth it and would take us over the top - that he'd move a pick, maybe even the 1st, from next season.

If he retains Bates and adds another bargain guy or two he really likes - he'll really set himself up to have the team where CB is the only real need outside of developmental depth players. And he's proven in years past he likes to move up in drafts. I don't think this is crazy as you think.

I think he will move up, even if it's just a little, to make sure he gets one of the top 4 corners. I've seen some mocks and done some mocks online where Gardner, Stingley, McDuffie, and Booth are gone by 25. I don't see him just sitting at 25 and settling on whoever is the best available at the position. 

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, SCBills said:

You do if you’re not a ridiculous GM. 

Josh Allen is 25.  He gives us a window of over a decade.  

Beane, now more than ever, needs rookie contract talent.   Trading multiple high picks to move up in the first rounds is nonsensical.  

Why does he need that?.. Because he made the all-in move of signing Von Miller.  

We haven't drafted a corner before round 4! since Tre in 2017.  And he was a late first.

That's a bit odd. 

We haven't drafted a *stud* in the first or second round outside of Allen and Tre since 2017.  Oliver is a solid top 20 DT In the league.  

And...he was a top 10 pick.  

If they think the next White is going to be there at 25...it's a deep CB group...ok.  I just think 4 will be off the board by 25.  And probably 3-4 WRs.  

Edited by Big Blitz

10 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

First, this is a scenario where they drop a little. I've seen MANY mocks where one of the two is available around the 12-14 range.

Second, traditionally our 1st and 2nd would get us to 17. But in a year without QBs at the top, I get the feeling people are looking to move down and get picks for next season. So the price may be cheaper.

Lastly, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that if he feels either are worth it and would take us over the top - that he'd move a pick, maybe even the 1st, from next season.

If he retains Bates and adds another bargain guy or two he really likes - he'll really set himself up to have the team where CB is the only real need outside of developmental depth players. And he's proven in years past he likes to move up in drafts. I don't think this is crazy as you think.

I think he will move up, even if it's just a little, to make sure he gets one of the top 4 corners. I've seen some mocks and done some mocks online where Gardner, Stingley, McDuffie, and Booth are gone by 25. I don't see him just sitting at 25 and settling on whoever is the best available at the position. 

I’d agree about moving up a little for McDuffie or Booth, but they’re not going to trade all the way up for Gardner. Even if they keep Bates they’d at least want competition for RG and need oline depth in general, so I don’t see them trading their 2nd.

13 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I don't see him just sitting at 25 and settling on whoever is the best available at the position. 

And to me it's because we have established starters at all those positions outside of maybe WR2 but they seem ready to unleash Davis and a breakout is coming.  

That leaves IOL and sorry I'm not sure that's a good idea if the option is IOL or trade up for one of the top 4 corners especially it it's only 5 spots or so to move up.  

I think you can get Guards and Centers in Rounds 3 and beyond.  We'll see what happens with Bates.  

Edited by Big Blitz

3 hours ago, wagne591 said:

I will keep this short

In round 1:  Jameson Williams WR Ala. We have enough depth now to draft him late in the first. He is a top 10 talent that we don't have to rush back and the way WR are getting paid now it would be nice to pair him with Josh for the next 5 years.  That will take Josh into the mid-late stages of his career.

In round 2:  Best CB available.  I still know we are going to sign a veteran CB at some point (Beane always does) but we still need youth there.

In round 3 or 4 draft: David Ojabo LB Michigan.  first round talent that tour his ACL today at proday.  Again we have enough depth and he would be in no hurry to return this year.  

I just have a feeling it is going to be hard for a draft pick later in the draft to make this team anyway so why not set us up for the next 4 to five years with the hurt guys.

I bet Williams and Ojabo are both drafted before 25. 

Beane's strategy for 3 years running has been BPA in the 1st round, then fill a need in the 2nd round. That strategy hasn't exactly produced stellar results in the 2nd round but there's no reason to think that strategy will change.

I expect BPA at pick 25 to be a DB, and I think Beane knows it which is why he has been slow to add a CB this offseason. Booth or Gordon or Hill will be the pick IMO.

In the 2nd round I expect a trade up for a WR. The year we drafted Epenesa, Beane admitted after the draft that he thought a WR with a 2nd round grade would be there at pick 54. He might as well have said he wanted to draft a WR in that spot and was denied the opportunity. That was the year Higgins, Pittman Jr., Shenault, Hamler, and Claypool all went in the 2nd round before our pick. Beane is the type to try again, but more aggressively, when he fails the first time around (see: acquiring Emmanuel Sanders and Von Miller). This year there is a pack of WRs expected to go in the 2nd - Dotson, Watson, Pickens, Metchie, Moore, Austin, others I'm probably forgetting. I think Beane will have 3-4 of them that he is aiming for and once 1 of them makes it past pick 40 he'll start making calls.

Round 1: Best DB available

Round 2: WR trade up

Round 3: Best OL or DL available

That's how I see it.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.