Interesting Draft Strategy??

wagne591

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Better resign Bates then.  

i don’t  think there’s much chance of ojabo making it out of round 2 let along making it to 3-4.

I feel like people completely forget about the oline struggles during the season - watch the jags game again and tell me we don't need an influx of oline talent.  Assume Bates comes back, i suppose he plays right guard instead of left - and the starting 5 is probably fine.  The second injuries hit though... Cody ford, Tommy Doyle, probably bobby hart again, whoever that guy is they just signed.  It's a problem.  

10 hours ago, brianthomas said:

Couldnt agree more with your post. Case in point think of the Pats dynasty. How often during their run were they trading up higher into the 1st round?

They frankly did the opposite if i remember right, frequently trading down to get more picks. Because as you said, those rookie deals are important as it gets harder & harder to manage the payroll

I don't think we need like 10 draft picks, but they need to add some cheap talent on the line that they can develop.  I don't mind a first round corner either but we do have an all-pro on the other side - but i understand the importance of the position.  

At the end of the day - the big thing is to protect your biggest investment.  So far, that meant extending morse and signing saffold - while losing mongo and williams.  I'm not sure we improved a ton here, or at all and depth is going to be an issue. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I feel like people completely forget about the oline struggles during the season - watch the jags game again and tell me we don't need an influx of oline talent.  Assume Bates comes back, i suppose he plays right guard instead of left - and the starting 5 is probably fine.  The second injuries hit though... Cody ford, Tommy Doyle, probably bobby hart again, whoever that guy is they just signed.  It's a problem.  

I don't think we need like 10 draft picks, but they need to add some cheap talent on the line that they can develop.  I don't mind a first round corner either but we do have an all-pro on the other side - but i understand the importance of the position.  

At the end of the day - the big thing is to protect your biggest investment.  So far, that meant extending morse and signing saffold - while losing mongo and williams.  I'm not sure we improved a ton here, or at all and depth is going to be an issue. 

Agree about concern for OL. A lot is riding on Brown playing well at RT. Beane screwed the pooch not drafting Creed Humphrey last year. He would have started at guard and been the heir apparent for Morse. Water under the bridge.

With Morse extension and Saffold deal, the shift now has to be getting a quality OT that will push Bates for a starting job at guard. Bates then goes back to utility infielder role. Your rookie OT that starts at guard then becomes your swing OT. 

If Ford can improve just a little then he becomes your backup guard and if all goes well probably doesn't dress for most games. Doyle is the 3rd TE and true emergency OT that dresses for each game. 

38 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Agree about concern for OL. A lot is riding on Brown playing well at RT. Beane screwed the pooch not drafting Creed Humphrey last year. He would have started at guard and been the heir apparent for Morse. Water under the bridge.

With Morse extension and Saffold deal, the shift now has to be getting a quality OT that will push Bates for a starting job at guard. Bates then goes back to utility infielder role. Your rookie OT that starts at guard then becomes your swing OT. 

If Ford can improve just a little then he becomes your backup guard and if all goes well probably doesn't dress for most games. Doyle is the 3rd TE and true emergency OT that dresses for each game. 

Does anyone know if Bernhard Raimann can play guard? I know I saw him mocked to the Bills a while back as a guard, but I don’t believe he has any experience there. He is mocked in early to mid second in most of what I’ve seen so far.

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

Amen. A bunch of fans love driving the flashy cars…….but seem to forget that the cars need gas in order to enjoy them.  Too many fans are trying to put 86 octane in a Ferrari.  

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Morse is a good center.  The need at DE is/was much larger than RG.  Buffalo goes by positional value.  RG is the lowest and is the lowest on the roster.

2 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Morse is a good center.  The need at DE is/was much larger than RG.  Buffalo goes by positional value.  RG is the lowest and is the lowest on the roster.

At the time last year Morse was being asked to take a pay cut and was looking like a salary cap cut. I agree he played better in 2021 than he did in 2020. Remember he was a healthy scratch for the Cardinals game in 2020. 

Humphrey on a rookie deal would have been much better than Basham short and long term.  

Like I said water under the bridge. Morse played better and Basham was at least getting some reps by year's end.

Going "all in" isn't what he does.

It sounds macho and aggressive, so you hear it a lot on boards. The players and coaches should be all in for this year. Ever year. But the GM is the guy who has to balance long and short term interests.

Beane has made his values and his main goal very clear right from his first P.C.  He wants to be consistently competitive. Hewants to be there every year. He said it at his first P.C. and many many times since.

He'll make moves to improve us this year, but he's not throwing away the future, and that's what letting go a bunch of picks from the first four or five rounds to trade up high does.

Only time he's done that was to move up for a QB. Doing it for a QB is industry best practice. Doing it otherwise is not.

Edited by Thurman#1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.