So whats left to do to free up cap?

That wont totally mess us up down the road?

Looking at the cap thread it looks like we are now really up against it (but Beane has done a great job so far)

When you have those unicorns on both sides of the ball (Allen on O, Miller on D) I realize that we are going to draft and play rookies because they are on cost controlled contracts.

Do we keep Ryan Bates?

Who is our slot receiver?

3 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I’m not advocating for this, but:

If they want to extend Edmunds, they could, in theory, lower his hit this year and push money down the road. 

I dont think Edmunds is a bad player but according to the cap thread he is cost 10 million towards our cap.......

If pick 25 went to a LB....I wouldnt like it at first but I would understand it

• Agree 1

You can convert players salaries for the year to a bonus.   But that pushes that cap down the road.   You can extend Diggs, Poyer and Edmunds.  You can cut a couple of guys but that just creates more holes.

If I was Beane I would not do any of that unless they can sign a guy who plays a lot this year

24 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I’m not advocating for this, but:

If they want to extend Edmunds, they could, in theory, lower his hit this year and push money down the road. 

Beane was specifically asked about Edmunds in his presser yesterday and said they would leave it "as it is".

He was more positive about possibly extending Diggs, saying it has to work for both sides but they would look at it "when the time is right".  But he also sounded like he was in no hurry.

It surprises me because when I looked at the Bills salary cap in February those were the two big tickets that struck me as where to get room, but that just shows why Beane is Beane and I don't work in a football FO

• Like (+1) 5

24 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I dont think Edmunds is a bad player but according to the cap thread he is cost 10 million towards our cap.......

If pick 25 went to a LB....I wouldnt like it at first but I would understand it

I think Edmunds could be elite being on the field with Von Miller, might be cheaper to extend him now

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, uticaclub said:

I think Edmunds could be elite being on the field with Von Miller, might be cheaper to extend him now

I feel like a decision needs to be made....we just dont have the cap to sit on it

Well we do but it would require other moves we dont have numbers on some of the guys we brought in and are at about 2 million which is not enough to sign our draft picks

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Beane was specifically asked about Edmunds in his presser yesterday and said they would leave it "as it is".

He was more positive about possibly extending Diggs, saying it has to work for both sides but they would look at it "when the time is right".  But he also sounded like he was in no hurry.

It surprises me because when I looked at the Bills salary cap in February those were the two big tickets that struck me as where to get room, but that just shows why Beane is Beane and I don't work in a football FO

When they released Klien, I thought an Edmunds extension was imminent. I guess I was wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I feel like a decision needs to be made....we just dont have the cap to sit on it

Well we do but it would require other moves we dont have numbers on some of the guys we brought in and are at about 2 million which is not enough to sign our draft picks

2 mill should be fine for the rooks. Though as you may have been trying to say it might not be enough considering the unknown contracts

42 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Looking at the cap thread it looks like we are now really up against it (but Beane has done a great job so far)

When you have those unicorns on both sides of the ball (Allen on O, Miller on D) I realize that we are going to draft and play rookies because they are on cost controlled contracts.

Do we keep Ryan Bates?

I honestly have no idea what to expect next. Yes, I want to keep Bates but I learned a few years ago to just trust the process McBeane have installed. I’ve clicked on here as often these past 7 days as I did during the playoffs!

• Agree 2

also have to come up with cap to pay for the draft just over 6M 

Plus usual 2M that BBB (Big Baller Beano) likes to do annually, plus Bates, plus vet slot ?

Additionally, I think 1M of Keenum deal was paid for by the Browns yesterday in roster bonus so that helps

extensions...Diggs for sure, Edmunds, Poyer, Knox possbly as those 3 are in last years of contract.

1 minute ago, First Round Bust said:

Plus usual 2M that BBB (Big Baller Beano) likes to do annually, plus Bates, plus vet slot ?

Additionally, I think 1M of Keenum deal was paid for by the Browns yesterday in roster bonus so that helps

extensions...Diggs for sure, Edmunds, Poyer, Knox possbly as those 3 are in last years of contract.

I dont think we need 6 million to pay for the draft due to some of the later contracts not counting towards the cap.

1 minute ago, First Round Bust said:

Draft won’t cost 6 million.  Maybe 3 after the people get bumped in and out of the top 51

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

Draft won’t cost 6 million.  Maybe 3 after the people get bumped in and out of the top 51

spotrac info below- sincewe usually keep the top 5 picks on the roster - they will hit the cap at around 5+ to 6M..pricey snot rookies

If we dont draft J Williams at 25 which is my only hope for keeping the pick, I trade down for a 2nd and 3rd - giving a 4th or 5th - I aint doing the cap math on conjecture just yet

image.thumb.png.61c6ecd6cbb3a328e2637aef758d94a4.png

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Do we keep Ryan Bates?

Who knows but Beane has always been good with the cap so I’m not concerned 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.