Baseball lockout over. 162 games will be played

Greg S

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/news/2022/03/10/baseball-back-mets-

Baseball is back.

Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association, the players’ union, reached an agreement on a new labor deal on the 99th day of a lockout, clearing the way for a full 162-game season to begin.

The final vote was 26 to 12 in favor of approving the new deal, which also requires the support of all of the league's players. The owners of the teams must vote to ratify the new agreement, which will require the support of 23 of the league's 30 owners.

Opening Day is set to begin on April 7, rather than the originally scheduled date of March 31.

More in the link above.

1 minute ago, Nineforty said:

same here. Nelson Cruz signed with Nationals to fill that role I believe..the first AL guy to jump to the NL for this role essentially. 

I've always loved the DH only being in the AL.  Thankfully, this transition has been discussed for well over a decade and I've had time to accept it before they finally pulled the trigger.  This is a much bigger discussion, but I have not been a fan of Manfred's tenure as Commish.  I disagree that all of these changes are necessary.

I think it's totally asinine that they're moving toward a shift ban.  These are professional hitters.  They're coming to bat with half of the field un-defended.  Hit to the opposite ***** field and stop swinging for the fences.  But MLB (Manfred) wants more home runs.

I like traditional (NL) baseball, where runs are manufactured.  Actually drawing walks is a lost art.  Stealing bases is a lost art.  Hitting it where they ain't is a lost art.  Pitching a complete game is a lost art.

I don't think more change is the answer.  I think getting back to fundamental baseball (starting with little league) is the answer.

But I know that ship has sailed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I've always loved the DH only being in the AL.  Thankfully, this transition has been discussed for well over a decade and I've had time to accept it before they finally pulled the trigger.  This is a much bigger discussion, but I have not been a fan of Manfred's tenure as Commish.  I disagree that all of these changes are necessary.

I think it's totally asinine that they're moving toward a shift ban.  These are professional hitters.  They're coming to bat with half of the field un-defended.  Hit to the opposite ***** field and stop swinging for the fences.  But MLB (Manfred) wants more home runs.

I like traditional (NL) baseball, where runs are manufactured.  Actually drawing walks is a lost art.  Stealing bases is a lost art.  Hitting it where they ain't is a lost art.  Pitching a complete game is a lost art.

I don't think more change is the answer.  I think getting back to fundamental baseball (starting with little league) is the answer.

But I know that ship has sailed.

I'm with you on every single point. I've always thought it would take a generation for hitters to adapt to the shift. And you would end up with more hitters who could hit to different areas. They didn't give it long enough for that hypothesis to come to fruition.

The strikeout/homerun era makes the game less fun for me to watch. But us lifers prob are no longer the target audience it seems. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Nineforty said:

I'm with you on every single point. I've always thought it would take a generation for hitters to adapt to the shift. And you would end up with more hitters who could hit to different areas. They didn't give it long enough for that hypothesis to come to fruition.

The strikeout/homerun era makes the game less fun for me to watch. But us lifers prob are no longer the target audience it seems. 

I think you're spot on with everything you said ... especially the new target audience.  Part of what I've always loved about baseball is strategy.  It's what made the NL better, IMO.  As the strategy continues to shift to using 5 pitchers/game to face batters who either hit HRs or strikeout, they won't lose fans like us ... but I'm not sure how many more they'll gain.  I don't think it's a good business model.  Making the game less-cerebral makes absolutely zero sense to me.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

@Gugny @Nineforty 

A year or two ago they asked George Brett what he'd have done if they put a shift on when he played. He said he would have hit .400 every year.

I don't like the DH either but it was inevitable. I'm very happy that they got rid of the runner on 2nd in extra innings, that was awful. And while I wasn't a big fan of the 7 inning double-headers I was actually OK with them (edit - as long as it's single admission for the fans)

Edited by SinceThe70s
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Draconator said:

This is how I feel about being an Oakland A's fan...

508020289_ScreenShot2022-03-16at9_27_56AM.png.565354b909a715a6c5144088aac9220d.png

Not sure what's worse.........the A's stripping their team down to begin with.............or the lousy returns they are getting doing it.

The Olson trade was brutal.    Pache?  Yikes.

Is Kevyn Adams doing double duty over in Oakland?    

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.