Bills OT rule proposal

PromoTheRobot

7 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

"If experience has taught us nothing else, it's that to experience an experience like that is quite an experience"

C'mon McDermott, it's the off-season- live a little and mix up the words.  

'Experience'...He keeps using that word.  I do not think it means what he thinks it means. 🤔

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

A lot of grumpy old men in this thread. Change isn't always bad fellas.

Ask yourself... does the team that wins the coin toss have a significant advantage over the team that doesn't?

If so, why would you give a significant advantage to a team based on a coin flip when you don't have to?

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Rigotz said:

Ask yourself... does the team that wins the coin toss have a significant advantage over the team that doesn't?

If so, why would you give a significant advantage to a team based on a coin flip when you don't have to?

Do what they do in the regular season then. Each team gets a possession. Only thing I would change is if the team who gets the ball first scores a TD then the other team would still get a chance with the ball which they currently don't get.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Some team is always going to have an advantage. If team A scores a TD team B knows they have to and will go for it on 4th down every time faced with that scenario. Team A probably would punt on a 4th down in their own territory or kick a FG if in range.

How about no coin toss, same rules, and the team that has the most yards on offense gets the ball first.

Edited by Beast
  • Vomit 2
  • Agree 1

I figured out what the change should be. Eliminate the coin flip. Continue the game into extra time. 

OT rules basically stay the same. TD on 1st possession wins it, after 1st possession it's sudden death.

BUT the big change is the game just continues where it ended in regulation. No coin flip. For example, Cheifs tied the game vs the Bills at the end of regulation. OT would start where regulation ends. Chiefs kicking off to the Bills in OT.

If there were still some time left in regulation with a tie, let's say 10 seconds, normally a team would kneel. Now teams would know they continue possession into OT.

Also in this scenario since the team that is losing at the end of regulation knows the other team gets possession you would likely see more teams go for two instead of the tie at the end of regulation.

Tell me this isn't the perfect fix? No more coin flip deciding games.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2
  • Disagree 1

8 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I figured out what the change should be. Eliminate the coin flip. Continue the game into extra time. 

OT rules basically stay the same. TD on 1st possession wins it, after 1st possession it's sudden death.

BUT the big change is the game just continues where it ended in regulation. No coin flip. For example, Cheifs tied the game vs the Bills at the end of regulation. OT would start where regulation ends. Chiefs kicking off to the Bills in OT.

If there were still some time left in regulation with a tie, let's say 10 seconds, normally a team would kneel. Now teams would know they continue possession into OT.

Also in this scenario since the team that is losing at the end of regulation knows the other team gets possession you would likely see more teams go for two instead of the tie at the end of regulation.

Tell me this isn't the perfect fix? No more coin flip deciding games.

So if a team has the ball with a tie score at the end of the game, they simply get to continue playing? That is a much bigger advantage than winning a coin flip. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Why would that be an advantage? Paint the scenario.

Team A ties the game with 1 second left.  They kick off, Team B fields the ball and time runs out.  Instead of a 50/50 chance at getting an advantage, Team B automatically gets the ball and a big advantage.  

Team A is driving with time running out in the 4th quarter.  They are tied and at the 40 yard line with 3 seconds left.  Instead of having to attempt a 57 yard FG, they can simply run their normal offense because they do not have to worry about the quarter ending.  They automatically win the toss (and get to start at the opponent's 40 yard line) and get a big advantage.  Both teams had the same amount of time to score points during regiulation, but Team A is essentially given as much time as they need for their final drive.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

There is no perfect overtime rules because if two teams are tied after 60 minutes generally they are very even and some version of luck will decide game. I don't mind the current rule but I would be very interested in whatever proposals they have though making a time element is not a good idea in my book 

1 minute ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

Team A ties the game with 1 second left.  They kick off, Team B fields the ball and time runs out.  Instead of a 50/50 chance at getting an advantage, Team B automatically gets the ball and a big advantage.  

Team A is driving with time running out in the 4th quarter.  They are tied and at the 40 yard line with 3 seconds left.  Instead of having to attempt a 57 yard FG, they can simply run their normal offense because they do not have to worry about the quarter ending.  They automatically win the toss (and get to start at the opponent's 40 yard line) and get a big advantage.  Both teams had the same amount of time to score points during regiulation, but Team A is essentially given as much time as they need for their final drive.

First scenario is perfect. That's exactly how it should be. Like I said, team B already knows who gets possession in OT. So if they score a TD they could go for 2 to win in regulation instead of play defense in OT and hope to get the ball back.

Second scenario would take game management by the coach. Remember at the end of regulation you still win the game if you make the long FG. In OT a made FG gives the ball to the opponent for their possession. Team A would still have to score a TD on their 1st possession in OT to win on that possession.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.