Bills LB coach Bob Babich retiring

YoloinOhio

19 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Not very often do you see so many coaches leaving after a season,  I cannot say I am surprised . It sounds like Mcdermott like to micro manage

One coach took a HC job, one retired, 2 others took promotions.... that's a reflection of being part of a good organization and coaching staff.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

4 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Not very often do you see so many coaches leaving after a season,  I cannot say I am surprised . It sounds like Mcdermott like to micro manage

More like a sign of respect.  You don't hire, much less promote, guys from bad teams, you know?

And who did the Bills really lose?  They got upgrades at OL (Johnson to Kromer) and QB coach (Tierney to Brady, meanwhile Dorsey is still around).  They lost an assistant DL coach in Cesaire.  And Farwell never really impressed me and was a dead man walking after the Chefs game.  I'd say that Daboll and Babich are the only real losses so far, and one was to a HC'ing promotion and the other was to retirement, not another team.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

15 hours ago, wppete said:

Wow that was a surprise. Huge loss for the Bills. A lot of change on the coaching staff and that worries me. 

I wouldn’t come to that conclusion so quick.  The Golden State Warriors had a great 5 year run and then had 2 off years due to injuries.  This enabled them to get some better draft picks the last 2 years so they added youth.  They then changed half their coaching staff to bring in some people known for player development.  Coach Steve Kerr also said it was good to bring in sone new voices.

While change could affect continuity, it also can bring new ideas.  Time will tell, but the Bills have had a fair amount of coaching turnover this off-season already.

15 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Just a note that Babich is not that old by coaching standards.  He's 60, which is 2-3 years younger than Leslie Frazier

He's one of the original coaches that McDermott hired in 2017

He was a defensive coordinator with the Bears from 2007-2009 under Ron Rivera, which may be his connection to McDermott

It's not impossible that Heath Farwell's lateral move to the Jaguars and now Babich retiring may be indications of where McD perceives responsibility for 13 seconds and "execution" to lie.  It would be a typical "McDermott" move to suggest to coaches they don't wish to retain, that they "explore other opportunities" and give them some time to do so vs. firing them (that's what Reid did with McDermott when he fired him as DC)

On the other hand, moving his son to LB coach doesn't necessarily fit with that idea

Bobby Babich has more ties to McD in that he coached under him as a defensive assistant for 2 years in Carolina

He's spent 4 years as Safeties coach - it's possible that he wanted to broaden his experience, and his dad retired to give him an opening

https://theathletic.com/807732/2019/02/08/the-father-and-son-behind-the-bills-defense-how-bob-and-bobby-babichs-coaching-paths-converged-in-buffalo/

I did. Not know that Babich was a DC! ***** he would have been one of seven active or former coordinators on the Bills this year! That had to be some kind of record! Still, we have six now, maybe that is a record?

yeah, hiring his son doesn’t sound like McD got rid of him. And I’ll tell you what, he looks like he is about 75. I don’t know what that all is about but he does…. Must had some hard years. Was he a player?

15 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The Bills had the highest pressure rate in the NFL per PFR. We are bad at blitzing. On coverage you have more of a point. They became more passive and vanilla with coverage once White went down. That is because they don't trust Levi or Dane to come up and play press at the line. And they did less complex disguise with Poyer and Hyde on the backend. 

They need to get at least one more corner who they trust physically to play press at the line. 

That high win pressure rate stuff is a little bit subjective if you ask me. We all probably have seen every snap of this team does anyone really think we are getting to the QB consistently? Does it feel the way it does watching the Rams? Or a team that sends guys? I’m not saying it never happens and I’m not saying we are terrible at it but I don’t feel like we are a top tier pressure team. I know what that stat says but a lot of that stuff is subjective borderline opinion based. I just think there are time where we sit back and hope a team doesn’t make a play, rather then just flat out stop someone. And physical run teams push us around. That happens. Just watch the games. I don’t like that. I liked Schwartz and even Pettines style more then Fraizer. I want my defense to make teams feel uncomfortable. Against bad QBs, we do that. But when a guy figures us out, there doesn’t seem to be a plan B. There’s no change up here once a guy figures out what we want to do.  We have excellent players on this defense and I honestly think the scheme is holding us back. That last KC game was probably my breaking point with Fraizer. I want a new voice in there. One with some fire.

3 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

That high win pressure rate stuff is a little bit subjective if you ask me. We all probably have seen every snap of this team does anyone really think we are getting to the QB consistently? Does it feel the way it does watching the Rams? Or a team that sends guys? I’m not saying it never happens and I’m not saying we are terrible at it but I don’t feel like we are a top tier pressure team. I know what that stat says but a lot of that stuff is subjective borderline opinion based. I just think there are time where we sit back and hope a team doesn’t make a play, rather then just flat out stop someone. And physical run teams push us around. That happens. Just watch the games. I don’t like that. I liked Schwartz and even Pettines style more then Fraizer. I want my defense to make teams feel uncomfortable. Against bad QBs, we do that. But when a guy figures us out, there doesn’t seem to be a plan B. There’s no change up here once a guy figures out what we want to do.  We have excellent players on this defense and I honestly think the scheme is holding us back. That last KC game was probably my breaking point with Fraizer. I want a new voice in there. One with some fire.

Yea you are just stylistically opposed to the defense and it stops you evaluating it objectively. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea you are just stylistically opposed to the defense and it stops you evaluating it objectively. 

Objectively I feel like we ran up stats on terrible offenses this year. Good QBs shred us, physical run games shred us and almost every drive or situation that we need a big stop, we don’t get it. We get bailed out because  we have the best Safety tandem in football by a mile. Once they lose a step we are going to be in trouble. We are a good defense and nowhere near bad but we could be a great one. The stats showed us to be better then we actually were because we played a lot of inept quarterbacks. This is how I feel objectively. Believe me I’m not blinded to what I’m seeing. I know we are a good defense but I want to win this whole thing. I feel like there is a limit with what we can be with Fraizer unfortunately. I want more then good.

• Disagree 1

22 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Don't fully understand how his son is being "promoted" when he is simply moving from one position coach role to another...safeties to linebackers in this instance.

Cos as safeties coach he reports to John Butler as DBs coach. Linebacker coach reports direct to Leslie.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Cos as safeties coach he reports to John Butler as DBs coach. Linebacker coach reports direct to Leslie.

OK I guess that makes sense...so his previous role would be similar to someone coaching inside LBs or outside LBs under the LB coach 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Objectively I feel like we ran up stats on terrible offenses this year. Good QBs shred us, physical run games shred us and almost every drive or situation that we need a big stop, we don’t get it. We get bailed out because  we have the best Safety tandem in football by a mile. Once they lose a step we are going to be in trouble. We are a good defense and nowhere near bad but we could be a great one. The stats showed us to be better then we actually were because we played a lot of inept quarterbacks. This is how I feel objectively. Believe me I’m not blinded to what I’m seeing. I know we are a good defense but I want to win this whole thing. I feel like there is a limit with what we can be with Fraizer unfortunately. I want more then good.

They have been top 5 three times in Leslie's five seasons. They give up more points against good Quarterbacks... yep. That is consistent across the league. But unless we only ever play QBs there is no explanation for that. You'd have to prove the Bills "ability of QBs played" in that time is somehow lower than everyone else's. They can get pounded by power run teams, yea, they can. That is a weakness in how they are built. They are undersized at DT and value speed over size at linebacker. That is a deliberate team building choice by McDermott and Beane because this league is a pass and stop the pass league now. And you don't give up the big play. That is the way good defenses play in 2021.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Objectively I feel like we ran up stats on terrible offenses this year.

I mean, that's probably true, but then objectively, one needs to look at the extent to which that might be true of other defenses

It's like when people say "our running game wasn't really that good, having Josh Allen pads the stats" which is true, but then they don't subtract out the QB rush yards for other team's rushing offenses

17 hours ago, klos63 said:

One coach took a HC job, one retired, 2 others took promotions.... that's a reflection of being part of a good organization and coaching staff.

No no no, put your tin foil hat back on and get on board with the theme here, it could never be for the reasons you stated, people do not have choices of when, if and where they will work, my goodness man, what were you thinking…, 

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 2/19/2022 at 12:16 PM, GoBills808 said:

Because Babich is well recognized as one of the best LB guys around.

this is where i jump in
 Those that were quick to jump on the "don't let the door hit you on the way out" may have shortchanged Coach Babich
Do Bills need a change at LB play ? Yes i think so.

I saw a little of Edmunds playing more downhill which gave me some hope coaching was adjusting finally .

Wish the man well and congrats on the career.

Hopefully LB play improves and becomes more consistent to the ball

21 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

yeah he always says it “starts with me”.  Coaching cliche.  They all say it. 

then he quickly shifted to “execution”—clearly leveling blame at the players.

or Coaches. Execution implies everyone Imho.
and yes. When McDermott says it falls on him ? Thats a damn honest answer generic as is may sound.
he needs to root out the problem area and fix it.
not clearly blame on players. Thats a bold statement Cotton

52 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm not at the "don't let the door hitcha" but I'm unsure why people are on board with "huge loss" either

It’s all part of the knee jerk reaction that some fans fall prey to, when they have the need to blame someone for a perceived shortcoming, by and large it is the nature of human beings to act out this way, jmo…, look at me, I do it all the time, 😁👍

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply

On 2/20/2022 at 10:01 AM, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

The bolded phrase is inherently oxymoronic. You are actually sharing your subjective thoughts, or...feelings. I'm not saying I disagree, but I am saying that you're confusing the concepts of objectivity and subjectivity. Or at the very least not supporting your claims with actual objective evidence. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.