Former Bill Clarence "Pooh Bear" Williams dead at 47

Greg S

I have to admit I don't remember him. 

Former Bills and Florida State fullback Clarence “Pooh Bear” Williams dies in car crash at 47

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 18, 2022, 10:47 AM EST

USA Today

Clarence “Pooh Bear” Williams, a fullback who had a brief NFL career with the Bills, has died at the age of 47.

Williams was killed in a car crash on Thursday near his hometown of Crescent City, Florida, according to the Tallahassee Democrat.

An undrafted rookie in 1997, Williams played briefly for the Bills before his playing career ended. He later became the head football coach at Crescent City High School, where he had been a star player, rushing for more than 5,000 yards in his career in the early 1990s.

• Sad 7

I remember listening to Van Miller introducing “Pooh Bear” Williams in a pre-season game on WGR when I was a freshman in high school. Despite his short stint with the Bills, that nickname stuck with me for years. In fact, it might be my favorite Bills nickname of all time. 

RIP Pooh Bear. Go get that honey. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I remember him most for a weight problem.  When he signed with the Bills he was over 300 lbs. 

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xpm-1997-08-14-9708130432-story.html

POOH BEAR LOSES WEIGHT BATTLE, DECIDES HE'S FINISHED AS PLAYER

By CRAIG BARNES Staff Writer

South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Aug 14, 1997 at 12:00 am

TALLAHASSEE — Pooh Bear Williams, who has battled weight since coming to Florida State, finally surrendered on Wednesday: He decided not to play. His weight was estimated at 320 pounds.

"I feel bad about it," coach Bobby Bowden said. "He was one of the nicer kids we've had. I talked to him and his father, but he'd pretty much made up his mind. I imagine the weight just got to be too much of a problem. He told me he was going to stay in school."

Edited by Albany,n.y.
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.