Blue Oyster Cult/Geddy Lee

Chef Jim

Ok I need some help here.  I was listening to Blue Oyster Cult's On Your Feet Or On Your Knees today.  It was a favorite of mine in high school in the 70's.  As I was listening to the intro to their Steppenwolf cover Born to be Wild it hit me.  Is that Geddy Lee introducing the song?  It sure sounds like him and I know Rush toured with BOC but not in 1974 when that album was recorded.  I searched high and low (god I love the internet) and can't find any reference as to it being Geddy.   Take a listen and let me know your thoughts.  

Could be, can't really say for sure tho... part of it does and part of it doesn't. Buddy of mine back when had it on 8-track and we'd cruise around Bennington and Attica jamming it. I don't know if you remember it but at the sort of intersection of 77 and Clinton some other guys in HS built a big Kiss and BOC display in their front yard... this would be to the right of the church lol.

I always thought it was a woman. Maybe Caroll Dodd? No idea who that is and I couldn't find much info on her but she gets credited with an intro on this site (look under Production):

https://blueoystercult.fandom.com/wiki/On_Your_Feet_or_on_Your_Knees

Confirmed:

https://www.hotrails.co.uk/bocfaq/faq_03.htm

The "introduction" of the band that appears before the final song was done by BOC lighting director Carol Dodds, who usually did the nightly introduction of the band.

10 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I always thought it was a woman. Maybe Caroll Dodd? No idea who that is and I couldn't find much info on her but she gets credited with an intro on this site (look under Production):

https://blueoystercult.fandom.com/wiki/On_Your_Feet_or_on_Your_Knees

Confirmed:

https://www.hotrails.co.uk/bocfaq/faq_03.htm

The "introduction" of the band that appears before the final song was done by BOC lighting director Carol Dodds, who usually did the nightly introduction of the band.

Cool...thanks.  Funny you mentioned you always thought it was a woman.  This is a pretty decent Rush tribute band and the lead singer is a woman.

I see it's already been solved but I looked through my book Rush Wandering The Face Of The Earth and in 1974 Rush toured extensively for their debut album, but only opened for BOC twice at the very end of December in Massachusetts and Connecticut.  According to Wikipedia that BOC album was mainly recorded at venues out west and for the Portland, Seattle etc dates that Rush played in 1974 they opened for Rory Gallagher.

1974 Geddy could shriek/sing much higher than she sounds in this intro, but his normal voice is a bit lower IMO.  This 1974 show is only a few weeks after Neil joined the band.

To me 2007 "Geddy" sounds closer to her in this concert intro clip.

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

Cool...thanks.  Funny you mentioned you always thought it was a woman.  This is a pretty decent Rush tribute band and the lead singer is a woman.

YYNOT are pretty good.  They have put out a few albums of original material as well.   The young lady in the video above recently replaced the original lead singer.

On 2/17/2022 at 6:07 PM, BillsFanNC said:

To me 2007 "Geddy" sounds closer to her in this concert intro clip.

This version of Limelight was a great debate on my Rush message board during the S&A Tour. Many people said Rush slowed down the tempo greatly. A friend of mine took the original recording of Limelight, and paired it with the version off of this tour, and they were exactly the same tempo, but this version for some reason does sound slower than the original. 

4 hours ago, Rico said:

Not sure, but

Blue Oyster Cult > Rush

To each his own.

But man  I can think of probably 10 meh 70s bands that would be more worthy of the awful > Rush take.

4 hours ago, Draconator said:

This version of Limelight was a great debate on my Rush message board during the S&A Tour. Many people said Rush slowed down the tempo greatly. A friend of mine took the original recording of Limelight, and paired it with the version off of this tour, and they were exactly the same tempo, but this version for some reason does sound slower than the original. 

Interesting. I agree it sounds slower than the original.  

8 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

YYZ doesn't have enough cowbell for you?

There is unrest in the forest
There is trouble with the trees
For the maples want more sunlight
And the oaks ignore their pleas

The trouble with the maples
(And they're quite convinced they're right)
They say the oaks are just too lofty
And they grab up all the light
But the oaks can't help their feelings
If they like the way they're made
And they wonder why the maples
Can't be happy in their shade

There is trouble in the forest
And the creatures all have fled
As the maples scream 'Oppression!'
And the oaks just shake their heads

So the maples formed a union
And demanded equal rights
'The oaks are just too greedy
We will make them give us light'
Now there's no more oak oppression
For they passed a noble law
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

1 hour ago, T&C said:

If I were to vote I'd go 25% Rush and 75% BOC... the ratio I listen to these bands whenever I'm hitting albums. BOC is way more prog rock imo.

A huge drum kit never impressed me with Rush.

I think Rush is far more prog rock than BOC myself. Loved Rush back in the 70’s pre-synths when Geddy still wailed, but they’ve always had the cheeziest lyrics in rock. Not that BOC doesn’t have their share of cheezy lyrics as well. I will take All The World’s A Stage over On Your Feet Or On Your Knees though I like them both, but I think BOC’s studio albums in the 70’s were just so much better.

Edited by Rico

I prefer Rush precisely because they did their 3 album prog era and moved on. Then they did their new wave-ish synth era and moved on. Then back to a more organic hard rock three piece. Then finishing their career with a near masterpiece that combined elements of all the eras.

I like BOC, but I just kind of lump them in with bands like Uriah Heep, UFO and Styx. 

9 hours ago, BillsFanNC said:

I prefer Rush precisely because they did their 3 album prog era and moved on. Then they did their new wave-ish synth era and moved on. Then back to a more organic hard rock three piece. Then finishing their career with a near masterpiece that combined elements of all the eras.

I like BOC, but I just kind of lump them in with bands like Uriah Heep, UFO and Styx. 

I can and have filled an 80-min CD-R (back in the pre-streaming days) with my fav Rush tunes & I love love LOVE it... but the only album I need is All The World's A Stage.

BOC's 1st 3 albums are classics, On Your Feet is very good, and I can fill a CD-R with my favs of everything after that.

All jmo.

1 hour ago, Rico said:

I can and have filled an 80-min CD-R (back in the pre-streaming days) with my fav Rush tunes & I love love LOVE it... but the only album I need is All The World's A Stage.

BOC's 1st 3 albums are classics, On Your Feet is very good, and I can fill a CD-R with my favs of everything after that.

All jmo.

I get it. I know many Rush fans who have no use for anything post Moving Pictures. 

If Rush spent their entire career making various versions of 2112 or Hemispheres I would have eventually lost interest. I think many long lived 70s bands kept their sound largely unchanged over the years, not that there's anything necessarily wrong with that. I like AC/DC too, but they've essentially made the same album their whole career. Rush changed from album to album, sometimes dramatically. Take away Geddys voice and compare 1978 Hemispheres to 1984 Grace Under Pressure and you have two totally different sounds and unrecognizable as being the same band. Yet I consider both albums to be classics and in my top 5 Rush albums. It definitely cost them some fans along the way but I also think it's responsible in many ways for their diehard following.

Good discussion and it's all just different strokes for different folks.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFanNC said:

I get it. I know many Rush fans who have no use for anything post Moving Pictures. 

If Rush spent their entire career making various versions of 2112 or Hemispheres I would have eventually lost interest. I think many long lived 70s bands kept their sound largely unchanged over the years, not that there's anything necessarily wrong with that. I like AC/DC too, but they've essentially made the same album their whole career. Rush changed from album to album, sometimes dramatically. Take away Geddys voice and compare 1978 Hemispheres to 1984 Grace Under Pressure and you have two totally different sounds and unrecognizable as being the same band. Yet I consider both albums to be classics and in my top 5 Rush albums. It definitely cost them some fans along the way but I also think it's responsible in many ways for their diehard following.

Good discussion and it's all just different strokes for different folks.

Rush has an intensely loyal following. The die hard's stuck with them in spite of the changes to their music over the years.   Count me in the camp that started losing interest with Subdivisions. They had some moments with later albums but none of them stuck with me like their pre-Moving Pictures output.

As for BOC vs. Rush - I don't feel the need to choose, they both made great music. It's like steak or lobster. I like both but would grow tired of either if that's all I had every day.

I saw Rush open for BOC but I had to look up the date. It was Sept 22 1976 and a band called Angel opened the show. It was at the Dome Arena in Henrietta, NY.

Setlists

Blue Oyster Cult setlist:

Stairway to the Stars

Harvester of Eyes

Cities on Flame With Rock and Roll

E.T.I. (Extra Terrestrial Intelligence)

Morning Final

Flaming Telepaths

Then Came the Last Days of May

ME 262

Dominance and Submission

Buck's Boogie

This Ain't the Summer of Love

5 Guitars

Born to Be Wild

(Don't Fear) The Reaper

Before the Kiss, a Redcap

Rush setlist:

Bastille Day

Anthem

Lakeside Park

2112 Part I: Overture

2112 Part II: The Temples of Syrinx

2112 Part III: Discovery

2112 Part IV: Presentation

2112 Part VI: Soliloquy

2112 Part VII: Grand Finale

Fly by Night

In the Mood

By-Tor & The Snow Dog

In the End

Working Man

Drum Solo

What You're Doing

Angel setlist:

An exact setlist wasn't found. Here is their closest one (from 09/20/1976), which may be similar:

Tower

"Feelin' Right"

"Broken Dreams"

Mirrors

"Pressure Point"

"Chicken Soup"

"Sunday Morning"

"On & On"

"The Fortune"

"Anyway You Want It"

"Rock & Rollers"

"Angel (Theme)"

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

I saw Rush open for BOC but I had to look up the date. It was Sept 22 1976 and a band called Angel opened the show. It was at the Dome Arena in Henrietta, NY.

Setlists

Stairway to the Stars

Harvester of Eyes

Morning Final

Flaming Telepaths

ME 262

Dominance and Submission

Buck's Boogie

5 Guitars

Born to Be Wild

(Don't Fear) The Reaper

Rush setlist:

Bastille Day

Anthem

Lakeside Park

Fly by Night

In the Mood

By-Tor & The Snow Dog

In the End

Working Man

Drum Solo

What You're Doing

Angel setlist:

An exact setlist wasn't found. Here is their closest one (from 09/20/1976), which may be similar:

Tower

"Feelin' Right"

"Broken Dreams"

Mirrors

"Pressure Point"

"Chicken Soup"

"Sunday Morning"

"On & On"

"The Fortune"

"Anyway You Want It"

"Rock & Rollers"

"Angel (Theme)"

Wow, what a great show. Angel was Punky Meadows I think at that time... FZ mocked the ***** out of him lol. Teen Archer would have made that perfect but hands down a great show. 

13 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

Setlists

Stairway to the Stars

Harvester of Eyes

Morning Final

Flaming Telepaths

ME 262

Dominance and Submission

Buck's Boogie

5 Guitars

Born to Be Wild

(Don't Fear) The Reaper

Rush setlist:

Bastille Day

Anthem

Lakeside Park

Fly by Night

In the Mood

By-Tor & The Snow Dog

In the End

Working Man

Drum Solo

What You're Doing

Angel setlist:

Tower

"Feelin' Right"

"Broken Dreams"

Mirrors

"Pressure Point"

"Chicken Soup"

"Sunday Morning"

"On & On"

"The Fortune"

"Anyway You Want It"

"Rock & Rollers"

"Angel (Theme)"

Why pick one band over the other when you can have them both?

That's one helluva show. Predates my concert-going by a few years (BOC headlined the first show I went to).

On 2/19/2022 at 5:25 PM, T&C said:

If I were to vote I'd go 25% Rush and 75% BOC... the ratio I listen to these bands whenever I'm hitting albums. BOC is way more prog rock imo.

A huge drum kit never impressed me with Rush.

As a drummer I agree 1000% with your last point.  Don’t get me wrong I love Rush but bigger isn’t always better. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.