Justin Bannan [12 yr NFL vet, drafted by Bills] sentenced to 16 years in prison...

Big Turk

34 minutes ago, Reks Ryan said:

You can use mental health as a reason for almost every murder or attempted murder.  Who in their right mind would intentionally try to kill another person unless to defend yourself or someone else? 

Mental health Doesn’t make it alright and doesn’t mean the offender shouldn’t face harsh punishment.

i don’t know that I’ve ever seen someone here ever earnestly argue murder is alright if a result of insanity. And I’ve seen people argue damn near every side of nearly every possible argument that could be had

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

all fair, the new link I just shared talks about cte as a court defense, and the challenges of cte paired with drug use being a real challenge in front of a jury. 

honestly, don’t have the bandwidth to be a bannon expert researcher but it’s an interesting topic in the abstract of head injuries, emotional trauma of his best friend committing suicide and potential self medication with drugs. I won’t claim to have any idea how his puzzle pieces fit together other than there were likely some pieces missing or damaged and it caused a bunch of trauma to a bunch of folks.

i did read the article (predates the trial I think).  Regardless of whether CTE would ultimately succeed with jury, I believe obvious mental status issues were never broached as a defense.  Given that there is no other conceivable defense, why not put it out there?

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

i did read the article (predates the trial I think).  Regardless of whether CTE would ultimately succeed with jury, I believe obvious mental status issues were never broached as a defense.  Given that there is no other conceivable defense, why not put it out there?

Totally fair question. I didn’t follow the trial, and only know so much about his day to day or his states legal thresholds, if being honest. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, HamptonBillsfan said:

Thank you for your learned opinion. 

I'm a lawyer. I've spent the last 20 years working on criminal cases, most of them death penalty cases, in several states.  I've spent years learning to understand how mental illness intersects with the criminal justice system.  So yes, my opinion is "learned." Your series of comments in this thread however,  are not connected to reality.  Yet you speak with the confidence like you have some knowledge of the subject matter, which you clearly do not.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, dwight in philly said:

Who got a longer sentence , OJ  or Bannan ? in actual jail time ? not sure what OJ was sentenced to in Vegas 

OJ was sentenced to 33 years and served 9 before being paroled. IMO, his sentence was largely due to the judge making up for his acquittal. There are people who actually get convicted of murder who do far less than 33 years. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, HamptonBillsfan said:

That's it, let's blame the country,society at large and every other aspect of his environment ,when someone violently commits crimes and destroys innocent victims. Pity the victims. 

Nice try, not what I said at all. Also, doesn't invalidate this being revenge not reform. 

If we want to reduce victims, we should get people help. Instead he'll get zero help, be 15 years hardened, and exiting jail with a chip on his shoulder bigger than when he went in.

Is revenge making things safer for anyone in society?

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Reks Ryan said:

You can use mental health as a reason for almost every murder or attempted murder.  Who in their right mind would intentionally try to kill another person unless to defend yourself or someone else? 

Mental health Doesn’t make it alright and doesn’t mean the offender shouldn’t face harsh punishment.

This whole situation is tragic. I feel bad for both parties, but obviously more for the victim. I’m not sure I agree with the sentence in this case, seems a bit harsh given the circumstances. Thankfully this women wasn’t killed, so that alone should mean something, if she had died, then the sentence seems appropriate. From reading the article, it doesn’t appear to have been premeditated or any kind of maliciousness. In his mind it was self defense. While I understand that still doesn’t justify what went down, perceived real or unreal, he seemed to be under great stress during this duration (whether it was from a real mafia or a drug induced paranoia.) He made bad decisions (Be it tied up into a mafia organization or cocaine), so he has to at least be punished for that, but drugs truly mess up people who normally wouldn’t act the way they do. I hope he get’s help for his personal demons, just like I hope the woman gets the help and financial support she deserves for forever being traumatized. Life is a lot more complex than just the victim and the evil criminal narrative. 

1 hour ago, Da webster guy said:

I remember him as the dude who went to like 7 superbowls.

which is probably why the russians wanted him.....

Whether he was actually being pursued by Russians or drug induced paranoia which made him think he was is just sad. That kind of fear and paranoia will make people do some really irrational things. I just hope everyone that get’s this bad mentally gets the help they need.

4 hours ago, HamptonBillsfan said:

That's it, let's blame the country,society at large and every other aspect of his environment ,when someone violently commits crimes and destroys innocent victims. Pity the victims. 

If you read the article you’d know something was wrong with this guys head. He’s not a criminal. Was confused and high. Probably has CTE as well. 

• Dislike 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

CTE is real 

"Prosecutors, meanwhile, argued that Bannan was voluntarily intoxicated at the time of the shooting. The ex-lineman was carrying a rolled-up $20 bill that contained traces of cocaine at the time of his arrest, according to police records, and prosecutors said he tested positive for cocaine at a pre-trial drug test in April 2020."

CTE? More like Cocaine brain.

8 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Nice try, not what I said at all. Also, doesn't invalidate this being revenge not reform. 

If we want to reduce victims, we should get people help. Instead he'll get zero help, be 15 years hardened, and exiting jail with a chip on his shoulder bigger than when he went in.

Is revenge making things safer for anyone in society?

Agreed. People need help for varying reasons. Shaming mental health debates and support is just the root of the problems. While I don’t think criminals should go free, I think individual cases should be factored in a lot more than they currently are. Jail often times makes things worse than it otherwise would have. Jail is a type of psychological warfare that often hardens criminals more than it does to correct the unwanted behaviors that landed them in there to begin with. Socioeconomics and drug abuse often complicate things that cause people to be labeled evil. Most violent crimes aren’t committed by true sociopaths. But once in a while, you encounter a true EVIL person without any reasonable socio induced problems that could make one think that society in some way damaged them. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MJS said:

"Prosecutors, meanwhile, argued that Bannan was voluntarily intoxicated at the time of the shooting. The ex-lineman was carrying a rolled-up $20 bill that contained traces of cocaine at the time of his arrest, according to police records, and prosecutors said he tested positive for cocaine at a pre-trial drug test in April 2020."

Either way, it’s incredibly sad. Bad decisions have left this man so paranoid that he probably acted out in a behavior that probably wouldn’t have happened being sober. I’m not sure doing 16 years of hard time is going to really fix that issue, and I think this is where social reforms are needed. Obviously as a collective society we want to prevent these kind of evil behaviors from happening again on some totally innocent person. But I feel like there could be a better way. 

12 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Either way, it’s incredibly sad. Bad decisions have left this man so paranoid that he probably acted out in a behavior that probably wouldn’t have happened being sober. I’m not sure doing 16 years of hard time is going to really fix that issue, and I think this is where social reforms are needed. Obviously as a collective society we want to prevent these kind of evil behaviors from happening again on some totally innocent person. But I feel like there could be a better way. 

He chose to do drugs and he killed someone. I personally feel that all this empathy and focus on the killer does a disservice to the victim and their family.

Being locked behind bars for 16 years is 16 years that people are safer and don't need to worry about him killing anyone else. Hopefully he can overcome his addictions and mental issues before he is free, so that he doesn't hurt anyone else.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

He chose to do drugs and he killed someone. I personally feel that all this empathy and focus on the killer does a disservice to the victim and their family.

Being locked behind bars for 16 years is 16 years that people are safer and don't need to worry about him killing anyone else. Hopefully he can overcome his addictions and mental issues before he is free, so that he doesn't hurt anyone else.

He didn’t kill the woman. Which should count for something. While I still feel sorry for the woman and her ordeal, the victim-criminal relationship needs more deeper understanding. In this guys case, 16 years seems excessive, especially if he has no other prior violent crimes. 

• Disagree 1

33 minutes ago, MJS said:

There's millions of people who have done a lot of cocaine and never thought the Russians were after them in a paranoid delusion

It sounds like there's wires not crossed there  , and there's millions of football players who are at risk of brain damage and cte

I'm not making excuses for him it's a tragedy..  but people get brain trauma and absolutely turn into different people 

It sounds like he was delusional 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Agree 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.