Anthony Lynn expected to be hired as 49ers assistant head coach

HOUSE

.image.png.cfc95b974d995a07311a6eea480c05e1.png

Not long after parting ways with the Detroit Lions, Anthony Lynn has landed with the San Francisco 49ers as their assistant head coach, NFL Network's Cameron Wolfe reported Friday, per a source.

The 53-year-old Lynn, who spent four seasons as the Los Angeles Chargers head coach from 2017-2020, will join head coach Kyle Shanahan's Niners staff, bringing plenty of experience to the fold along.

A former NFL running back who's been in the league coaching ranks since 2000, Lynn has been a running backs coach with the Jacksonville Jaguars, Dallas Cowboys, Cleveland Browns, New York Jets and Buffalo Bills, filling in for the latter as an interim head coach for one game in 2016

https://www.nfl.com/news/anthony-lynn-expected-to-be-hired-as-49ers-assistant-head-coach

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Charles Romes said:

Still can’t believe the clock management blunders v the Bills in ‘20. Could have been the HC for 20 years with Herbert.  

They really had no chance in that game - the Bills were up by two scores anyway with basically no time left. It didn’t really affect the outcome at all.

2 minutes ago, maddenboy said:

To me, this is Anthony Lynn saying "I need to take a year or two, and actually learn modern offense.  Especially how to run the ball"

When Roman was jettisoned and Lynn was promoted to OC, I actually thought the offense looked and ran a lot smoother with him calling plays. Maybe a lot of that had to do with play calls getting in much earlier, they were lining up around the 19 second mark as opposed to 10 seconds with Roman, but the running game didn’t miss a beat and the passing game seemed improved.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Likely he could take on the OC role if Mike McDaniels is hired by Miami. 

Does he have play calling experience? I don't think he has been a coordinator before.

That is partly why I thought it was crazy that anyone made him a head coach. He basically went from a Running Backs coach to a head coach. I think that was a disservice to him, honestly. He was not ready to be a head coach.

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

Does he have play calling experience? I don't think he has been a coordinator before.

That is partly why I thought it was crazy that anyone made him a head coach. He basically went from a Running Backs coach to a head coach. I think that was a disservice to him, honestly. He was not ready to be a head coach.

Huh? He was our OC.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

He was OC in Detroit last year and OC here for 14 games in 2016. He lost playcalling responsibility in Detroit mid-season. But its irrelevant because in San Fran the Head Coach calls the plays. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, BringBackFlutie said:

Huh? He was our OC.

Yeah, but he was running Roman's system since Roman started as our offensive coordinator that year. So yeah, I guess he has limited play calling experience.

2 hours ago, MJS said:

Yeah, but he was running Roman's system since Roman started as our offensive coordinator that year. So yeah, I guess he has limited play calling experience.

Roman was fired and Lynn promoted specifically for play-calling purposes. The hope was that Lynn would recognize the situation and call the plays faster. There was no proof that he would, but he certainly showed that after the promotion. 

But the point is, Lynn's limited stint as an OC was specifically evaluated on his ability to call plays.  ...and that makes sense, since, as you said, he didn't even do the design side of things.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.