Vikings Oline coach Phil Rauscher (Twitter speculation)

BillsMafi$

14 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Hmmm..he must’ve vacationed in Carolina at some point in his life or this hire makes no sense

Ha!  No, he's been working for Rico Dennison, who has been coaching OL since he left the Bills OC gig - last 2 years in Minnesota.

This guy Phil Rauscher was the assistant OL coach and got the promotion when Dennison refused to get vaccinated and thus was not allowed to have a position with player contact.

Rico Dennison is probably the connection, and it wouldn't surprise me if he picked up the phone and lobbied for his guy with the GMs and coaches he knew.

26 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Ha!  No, he's been working for Rico Dennison, who has been coaching OL since he left the Bills OC gig - last 2 years in Minnesota.

This guy Phil Rauscher was the assistant OL coach and got the promotion when Dennison refused to get vaccinated and thus was not allowed to have a position with player contact.

Rico Dennison is probably the connection, and it wouldn't surprise me if he picked up the phone and lobbied for his guy with the GMs and coaches he knew.

I’m not smart enough to know what this might mean for our offensive philosophy going forward. Or what we can expect play call wise. 

When our run game was clicking the last several weeks of the season we saw a lot of pulling from Morse. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong but that doesn’t really like up with a zone blocking philosophy correct? 

5 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I’m not smart enough to know what this might mean for our offensive philosophy going forward. Or what we can expect play call wise. 

When our run game was clicking the last several weeks of the season we saw a lot of pulling from Morse. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong but that doesn’t really like up with a zone blocking philosophy correct? 

I believe that's correct - it's not zone, it's "pin and pull".  The problem is that zone blocking requires more power to just shove people out of the way, and while Dawkins and now Spencer Brown and perhaps Williams can do this, it's not a style of run blocking Morse can do well.

1 hour ago, BillsMafi$ said:

So which is it?  Are we hiring Rauscher, or is there no decision yet?

4 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Why not?

'Cause unless we turn over like 3/5 of our OL we pretty much suck at it between the tackles, and if we run outside zone our RBs aren't fast enough to get there

2 hours ago, BillsMafi$ said:

So this lady is the Vikings ESPN reporter (analogous to Marcel L-J with the Dolphins or Alaina Getzenberg with the Bills)

But there's nothing from the Bills side that I can find

38 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Interesting.  Wonder if this makes Morse more likely to stick and increases the odds that Williams and/or feliciano are cap casualties. 

Morse is just not and never will be a strong zone blocking guy for the run game.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

'Cause unless we turn over like 3/5 of our OL we pretty much suck at it between the tackles, and if we run outside zone our RBs aren't fast enough to get there

It may also be an indication of the plans the Bills have with an eye to FA and the draft. A few new linemen and speed on offense seemed like a thought in Beane's mind at his presser.

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

It may also be an indication of the plans the Bills have with an eye to FA and the draft. A few new linemen and speed on offense seemed like a thought in Beane's mind at his presser.

Beane referred to our current OL as "something to  build on".   To re-build 3/5 of the OL would take a lot of high draft picks and budget.

Is this even a good draft for OL?  Anyone?

25 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Hmmm. Kubiak system guy? Zone blocking incoming? 

I wouldn't be a fan of that.

Yeah, weird that we'd go back to it unless they're planning a major OL makeover but Beane said we won't be big spenders. Maybe there is something to Pelissero coming out and saying half an hour later that there is no decision yet.

Just now, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

Yeah, weird that we'd go back to it unless they're planning a major OL makeover but Beane said we won't be big spenders. Maybe there is something to Pelissero coming out and saying half an hour later that there is no decision yet.

Let's hope so. They've got a puzzling track record on the offensive side of the ball. Maybe Gabe Davis was the beneficiary of KC locking down Diggs, I dunno, but still seems like he should have been on the field much more rather than Sanders. It took injury for Bates to get time at Guard, but the oline seemed to gel when he did. Took them a while to settle on Singletary as the bell cow. They find a blocking scheme that seems to work with their personnel and now they are looking at coaches that favor a system that precisely does not fit the majority of our oline. Whatever they do, I'll be optimistic because Josh is that good, but it would be nice to not have to worry about this hire.

• Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.