Why does our defense get so much flak for the opponents faced and not the Chiefs?

streetkings01

6 hours ago, bobobonators said:

I wanted to call in and say three words and hang up:  WE. BEAT. YOU. 

No they dont highlight who they beat. All they go on to say is how theyre the team to beat bc theyve been there already. They have Mahomes and they have a shot to go to their 4th straight AFC championship game.

What really grinds my gears is how people here view the Chiefs like a dynasty when theyre not. They view themselves as the Brady led Pats. They have completely lost their minds in this city. 

Comon you know the rules.  When the Bills win, it "doesn't count cuz something something reasons".  Beating them earlier this year doesn't count because it happened during their slump, but them beating us last year still counts despite our WR group being a walking MASH ward.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

Comon you know the rules.  When the Bills win, it "doesn't count cuz something something reasons".  Beating them earlier this year doesn't count because it happened during their slump, but them beating us last year still counts despite our WR group being a walking MASH ward.

It didn't even happen during their "slump."  The Chiefs won the game before (score of 42-30)  and the game after (score of 31-12) they played the Bills.

I know it's not you saying it but I am so tired of hearing the lie that the Chiefs were in a slump when they played the Bills.  They were not but no matter how many times I point out the game before and after people still continue to spew the bs.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 3

55 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

It didn't even happen during their "slump."  The Chiefs won the game before (score of 42-30)  and the game after (score of 31-12) they played the Bills.

I know it's not you saying it but I am so tired of hearing the lie that the Chiefs were in a slump when they played the Bills.  They were not but no matter how many times I point out the game before and after people still continue to spew the bs.

If it wasn't a slump, then it was because they were without players A and B, which was more significant than us being without players X and Y. (Weird how losses don't count due to being down key players, but you know their potential win will still count with us being down All Pro CB Tre White)

And if it wasn't that, it was because everyone knows the refs love the Bills and hate the Chiefs and they would have stomped us if not for the refs holding them down.

And if it wasn't that, Venus was in retrograde and it was the Year of the Ox which means...

Edited by 1ManRaid
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, ChrisWatson#21 said:

Because they played the GOAT Herbert twice and soon to be GOAT Joe Burrow  Who cares if the Bills faced Brady and Mahomes because according to Max Kellerman and others it's all about Justin Herbert and Joe Burrow.

Statistically, they did improve defensively over the last half of the season; however they were no powerhouse and they did struggle with Herbert and Burrow.. They gave up an average of 417 YPG and 31 PPG to Herbert (352 yds and 30 pts in 1st game, 424 yds and 28 pts in 2nd game) and Burrow (475 yds and 34 pts), and lost 2 of the 3 games (Winning the other one in OT after the Chargers blew a 4th qtr lead).

In addition, while Buffalo did struggle against the run in a few games, the Chiefs were even worse, particularly down the stretch, giving up over 5 yards per carry.

The Chiefs' defense is better now than it was when they played the BIlls, but it is not close to the defenses of the Pats***, Bucs, or Saints against which the Bills scored an average of 35 PPG down the stretch.

The only thing that stops the Bills from scoring points against the Chiefs will be the Bills. If they continue to play like they have since the 2nd half of the Bucs game, they will be fine.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

Exactly and that never gets brought up! Beasley had cracked ribs, Diggs had an oblique injury, Davis had an ankle I believe and Brown was banged up all season.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

GB?  

I just posted some such in the pinned thread 

then they hit their stride on a softer schedule 

Denver 2 X 

LV 2 X 

Giants

Chargers 

They did beat GB yet lost to all 3 other AFC teams.

GB without Rodgers is like the Bills with me at QB.

• Haha (+1) 2

11 hours ago, MJS said:

Because people don't want to change their opinion about Josh Allen and the Bills.

I believe this is the heart of the issue.  Many people in the media and football fans thought Josh Allen was a terrible QB and a terrible pick and they won't admit and can't admit that they were wrong.  Simple as that.

Here is an article from Football Outsiders that contains some information on the Chiefs' defensive turnaround (as well as good overall info on both Bills and Chiefs:

Bills, Chiefs Prepping for a Shootout

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/game-previews/2022/bills-chiefs-prepping-shootout

"With a 30.8% blitz rate in Week 5, the Chiefs joined the losing side of recent Bills blitz history. But that aggressiveness may say more about defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo's confidence in his personnel than his preferred matchup strategy. The Chiefs cut their blitz rate from 32.7% in Weeks 1-7 to 26.2% in Weeks 8-18. That corresponds roughly to the team's injection of Melvin Ingram, Frank Clark, Willie Gay, and Juan Thornhill into their lineup by way of a trade, returns from injury, and a depth-chart decision. And it coincides with the team's transformation from a bottom-three defense against both the run and the pass to 15th against the run and eighth against the pass in the second half of the season."

"Ingram had a modest total of 11 pressures for his new team, but he created balance on their defensive line by allowing Chris Jones to return to his natural position of defensive tackle. With strong 9.4% and 5.9% broken tackle rates per Pro Football Reference, Gay and Thornhill eliminated many of the explosive plays opponents found after the catch in the early season. Thornhill replaced veteran safety Daniel Sorensen in the starting lineup, and Sorensen was the coverage victim of Allen's two biggest pass plays of 61 and 53 yards in early October."

"At full strength, the Chiefs are a better defense than the one the Bills scorched in Week 5. But Allen has too many answers for too many questions for any defense to consistently disrupt him. The Chiefs will have to hope the bad Bills show up this Sunday. Or hope Patrick Mahomes can match Allen point for point."

Edited by billsfan1959

12 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

GB?  

I just posted some such in the pinned thread 

then they hit their stride on a softer schedule 

Denver 2 X 

LV 2 X 

Giants

Chargers 

They did beat GB yet lost to all 3 other AFC teams.

Wasn’t GB without Rogers for that game?  Why, yes, indeed the GB packers were without Aaron Rogers due to COVID.  Jordon Love plays against the Chiefs

• Like (+1) 1

Some thoughts:

1.  I can understand some here might be irritated by a lack of respect etc by the media....I think at this point, the majority of the media is takiing the Bills.

2.  The KC media IS NOT all about KC.  Many see this is an epic matchup against a great team that is more than capable of winning the game.  And on a side not...for those who keep on harping over and over again about how no one remembers the bills WR corps had injuries....that simply isn't true.....you sound like Chiefs fans who claim no one remembers the chiefs O line was a bunch of 2nd and 3rd stringers when we played the Buccs....that gets mentioned ALL THE TIME...but people act like it's never brought up.

3.  It's a bit hard to guage the Chiefs overall when you consider the entire season and the numbers from the whole year.  Early in the year, KC was losing the TO battle badly, every week.  And in the second half of the year, that completely flipped.  Here is KC's results and turnover margin each game -

1. Cleveland  W  by four points +2

2. Baltimore  L by one point.  Even

3. Chargers  L by six.  -4

4. Eagles W by 12 -1

5. Bills lost by 18  -4

6. WFT  won by 18  -1

7. Titans lost by 24  -2

8. Giants won by 3 -1

So first half of season KC was -11 on Turnovers and went 4-4

KC turned the ball over 19 times.

KC also had -10 point differential after these 8 games.

Since then -

KC is plus 15 in TO  KC has only turned it over 6 times in their last 9 games of the season.

In those games KC was +118

The overall yardage totals aren't all that different....but the turnovers got fixed.   KC didn't lose any games where they were positive in TO margin.  KC also won 3 games where they lost the TO margin.  

You might say it's important for the Bills to be even or on the plus side of the TO's on Sunday.

4.  If the Bills go on to win a Super Bowl....don't worry about the media coverage etc....you'll get to hear Chris Collinsworth nut to every Josh Allen pass like he does for Mahomes now.  Allen will be crowned as the best QB in football and all that good stuff.  Mahomes has gotten that treatment because he followed up a 50 TD 5000 yard passing season, with a super bowl win that came with a 4th Q comeback.  Allen will get his time in the sun if he wins a lombardi.  That's how it goes.

The Bills are a really good team that can win Sunday.  The Chiefs are a really good team that can win Sunday.  

13 hours ago, streetkings01 said:

What high powered offense has the Chiefs shut down since that last Bills game?

The only 2 elite QB’s they faced were Herbert and Burrow and they torched the Chiefs defense. Hurts threw for close to 400 yards …..I’m not sold on the Chiefs defense at all. I think their the same defense we faced earlier in the year just with the benefit of playing some bad QBs.

It does not matter,  the Bills defence can either step up Sunday and shut everyone up or if they play like they did against the Chiefs in AFC championship game last season and get called out further.  My two biggest concerns are no pass rush and no White to help shut down one side of field.  We have not faced a QB who can make plays both with his feet and throw down the field like Mahomes since White was injured.  I am sure the Chiefs will attack our CB'S Sunday,  i just hope Frazier does not do like last season.  No presure & soft zone coverage- pitch & catch with Kelce time.  I would love to eat some crow Sunday night,  but right now i don't trust Frazier will have the right game plan. This is why the NFL should not allow assistant coaches to be interviewed until just before the Super Bowl.  Put the pressure on assistants to be aggresive and be prepared or risk losing a possible HC job.

Edited by Niagara Dude
  • Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.