Texans Can Culley

Mike in Horseheads

19 minutes ago, Trock said:

He rubbed people the wrong way. Not a likable guy. With his bone headed, ultra conservative style and his toxic body language. The writing was on the wall. 

His team sure seemed to be playing hard for him, right up through week 18. 🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

From what I can tell in what you pasted, yes.

The first line refers to "The employer-club" as the one receiving the draft picks. And in section b. they refer to the "employer-club" and the "new club".

This leads me to believe that Baltimore would be the employer-club and Houston the new club.

I'm sure you are right after reading it your way.  

Thanks Dawk!

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

He got a 5 YEAR deal, which will continue to pay him until he is 70. This is basically his retirement plan. He's fine.

"Dave Culley?  Hi, Derek Beeman from Texans season tickets...I see you're a recent retiree.  Ever consider season tickets?  Hello..."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This is a Houston roster that had a real shot at 1-16 or 0-17 and he went 4-13.  If you have an 8-9 roster and go 12-5 you get a multi year extension.  I think he comes out of this looking really good and will eventually get another HC opportunity with a club that's not an absolute tire fire.

Just now, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

This is a Houston roster that had a real shot at 1-16 or 0-17 and he went 4-13.  If you have an 8-9 roster and go 12-5 you get a multi year extension.  I think he comes out of this looking really good and will eventually get another HC opportunity with a club that's not an absolute tire fire.

Is that what he did wrong? Not tanking to get the #1 pick?

Talk about another dumpster fire organization and I bet Frazier if anyone is thrilled he didn't end up getting the job last year.

What exactly was the expectation with one of the worst rosters in the NFL this year? Even if there wasn't any off the field issues with Watson and he started all year they weren't going anywhere.

9 minutes ago, Bruce Smith said:

Apparently they want Flores.  And Flores wanted Watson in Mia.  So Watson may not be going anywhere.  

That's the only way this make sense and why the Texans essentially are screwing Culley over is because they did not think Flores would be available and/or Watson told them he would stay and play next year if the coaching change is made.

Just now, Warcodered said:

Is that what he did wrong? Not tanking to get the #1 pick?

I really think it's more the equivalent of a team signing a journeyman QB because they know the better QBs will be in next year's draft.  That said, the Texans organization is just piling up one douchey move after another and it's hard to acquire and keep talent at every level that way.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Sometimes you just SHOULDN'T  take the job…… he got pooched.

I just hope he and his agent knew the kind of situation they were going into and were $mart enough to have a contract that takes $ome of the $ting out of it. If WE are not surprised, HE shouldn’t have been. So…..there’s that….  🤷‍♂️

Still sucks. 

• Agree 1

This is the league but it's also not a good look for the Texans , I'll explain 

A coach coming in is obviously expected to do some things.. but he's also expected to be granted a few things seeing those qualifications are met 

If you're given a five year contract ... You should at least be given two full seasons to try to show some fruits 

Almost no coach going in is going to have any trust with the front office.. because you had a guy to a 5-year commitment and only gave him one

Now that doesn't mean he had to run out all five years.. but he should have been given time to get to show his vision 

The team did play hard for him 

BUT The game of football is cutthroat.. and it's the way it goes

He was one of the most privileged men in football for a season.. 1 of 32 in the world

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.