Interesting way to describe Josh Allen - High floor - High Ceiling

BuffaloBill

31 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

7th? Way too low. 

Murray ahead of him is a joke.

I guess you have an argument for Burrow and Herbert but I'd take Josh over them 10 out of 10 times. 

Allen again played in terrible weather. I can see if the opposing QB is lighting it up in these bad weather games but Ryan was just as bad if not worse which is usuallythe case for opposing qbs in these games . 

When I said this 2 months ago I got trashed on here🤷🏻‍♂️

I can’t speak to your thread, but I’ve been beating that drum since Josh was drafted.  If you search, you’ll find posts where I facetiously suggest that Singletary be equipped with a 6’ orange fiberglass pole topped by an orange pennant (in the manner of a Syracuse or Utica fire-hydrant) to help Josh find him, and where I comment that in the AFCCG he and other short options had enough green around them to plant a Christmas tree farm.  

Part of it is those check downs have historically been throws Josh has struggled with.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I can’t speak to your thread, but I’ve been beating that drum since Josh was drafted.  If you search, you’ll find posts where I facetiously suggest that Singletary be equipped with a 6’ orange fiberglass pole topped by an orange pennant (in the manner of a Syracuse or Utica fire-hydrant) to help Josh find him, and where I comment that in the AFCCG he and other short options had enough green around them to plant a Christmas tree farm.  

Part of it is those check downs have historically been throws Josh has struggled with.

Some folks complain about the long ball, but if Josh can master that check down over the middle, the offense gets a lot harder to stop. To be honest, I've assumed Josh just didn't want to take it, but difficulty completing the pass may account for some resistance to throw it.

18 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

True lol

Ya he has struggled with them earlier in career but that last NE game he showed he can consistently make the easy throws. I hope we see that offense going forward.  Just take what the D gives and then start looking at the intermediate/deep throw when the D starts moving up 

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think that when Josh’s total offensive contributions are considered, he is more than a top 5 QB (rushing yards and rush TDs)

I agree with you that Josh does need to take a step as far as “taking what he’s given”

That's the big step Josh needs to take. Be patient early on in games and don't overly excited looking for the big play. The way he played in the second Pats game is an exact blueprint for how he needs to consistently play esp against stronger defenses (which the Pats are.) 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bruffalo said:

7th definitely seems low.

I would go...

Rodgers

Allen

Mahomes

Brady

Prescott

Burrow

Herbert? Gets debatable here.

If I am ranking QB's generally speaking (not by who is having the best season) I would rank them as follows. 

1- Aaron Rodgers

2- Patrick Mahomes 

3- Tom Brady

4- Josh Allen

5- Russell Wilson (and I think you can debate Wilson over Allen)

Josh has the best athletic profile of all of the QB's in the NFL. But Josh has not won in the playoffs in the same way that Mahomes, Rodgers and Brady have which is why I rank them ahead of Josh. I think there is an argument for Russell Wilson who has completely carried a mediocre Seahawks team in recent seasons and Wilson has a solid playoff resume. 

9 hours ago, SCBills said:

He has the ability to, but needs to play better in weather.   Our horrific slate of bad weather home games this year have distorted some people’s view of him.  Especially those that just go by numbers absent context.  

He’s absolutely Top 5, (Top 3 IMO) even with the meh weather games, but it’s time for him to take over one of these games from start to finish when everyone else is struggling with the elements.  

Compare Josh’s stats in those “weather” games against his opponents. He has significantly outplayed the competition. 

8 minutes ago, eball said:

Compare Josh’s stats in those “weather” games against his opponents. He has significantly outplayed the competition. 

That’s not what I’m alluding to.  I’m pointing out that he’s still had his weather struggles, and that is what is likely engrained in someone who would rank him 7.  

2 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

If I am ranking QB's generally speaking (not by who is having the best season) I would rank them as follows. 

1- Aaron Rodgers

2- Patrick Mahomes 

3- Tom Brady

4- Josh Allen

Josh has the best athletic profile of all of the QB's in the NFL. But Josh has not won in the playoffs in the same way that Mahomes, Rodgers and Brady have which is why I rank them ahead of Josh. I think there is an argument for Russell Wilson who has completely carried a mediocre Seahawks team in recent seasons and Wilson has a solid playoff resume. 

I don't know how you're including Wilson that high after this season, he has not looked great.

I am just grateful to be in a situation where we are getting pissed with some evaluators thinking Allen is the 7th best QB.

As others have said, Brady and Rodgers have the hardware, rings, and sustained greatness.

I love that Allen has Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert, and the next tier below with Murray, Prescott, etc.

At the end of their careers, I believe Allen will be either the Montana or Elway of his generation, or the Brady, Manning, Brees, or Rodgers of his generation.

As long as he stays healthy, we have a future HOF'er.

Between now and 2027, Allen will get the ring, an MVP, and be in the conversation as a top 5 QB year-in and year-out. He will keep the Bills and himself in the conversation this next decade.

Edited by Wizard

12 hours ago, SCBills said:

Rodgers at 1 and then Mahomes or Allen at 2/3.  Probably have to give Mahomes the edge with his early career accolades.  Allen can certainly change that this postseason.  

Burrow, Herbert and Brady in the next level at 4, 5 and 6. 

Then a steep drop off to the next group.  

We keep bringing down the G.O.A.T.... He has 42 TD passes this season

4 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

1- Aaron Rodgers

2- Patrick Mahomes 

3- Tom Brady

4- Josh Allen

You make your fame in the playoffs 

12 hours ago, TH3 said:

Somehow JA off games get way more noticed than others….

Because he is playing in front of National TV. 

We played on MNF against the Titans and. lost 

We played Tampa Bay at the 4 PM National game sot and lost 

We played the Patriots on MNF and lost 

And in all the 3 games,  Josh had the chance to win the game at the end and came up empty.   

National media will notice that.   Allen needs to do better in winning those close games and he hasn't done it this year.  Last year he won those close games against the Rams, Dolphins etc.  

13 hours ago, SCBills said:

He has the ability to, but needs to play better in weather.   Our horrific slate of bad weather home games this year have distorted some people’s view of him.  Especially those that just go by numbers absent context.  

He’s absolutely Top 5, (Top 3 IMO) even with the meh weather games, but it’s time for him to take over one of these games from start to finish when everyone else is struggling with the elements.  

I think he outplayed his competitors except in his last game vs the opposing team QB .. though Mac Jones 2 completions were impressive in the air gust game

Ok, the list is debatable, I get that.  I personally feel Herbert is too high and I would take JA over Murray any day, but I can’t argue Rodgers, Brady, Burrow, Maholmes, being above JA as of today. The case can be made for the other 2, but my bias says JA is better.   Here’s the good part, we have the last guy on the list who you would feel good about as your QB right now (Russ is criminally low on here, even if he’s beat to hell this year)

Carr is the next best option? Woof.   To show how bad the QB situation around the league is, Jalen Hurts is 14, yeah that’s right, he is ranked better than over HALF the starters in the league.. yikes. 

For all the years spent wishing we had a QB that could even be debated as a top 10 QB, I’m not going to worry about one guy putting our guy at 7, especially given that 2 of the guys above him are two of the all time greats.   It’s really nice to not have to debate if Tannehill would have been the upgrade we needed to squeak into the playoffs.  Forget it, we have it really good.  Josh has been up and down this year, but as it’s been pointed out, even his down days are better than most guy’s good days. His good days are absolutely unbeatable. I sure would like to see him even that out to be more like a Rodgers level, but let’s not forget he’s still very young and still earning the big boy stripes.  The only QBs I have ever seen be so damn poised and polished at such a young age are Burrow and Maholmes.  They haven’t been perfect either, and both faced much better competition their whole lives.  As long as Josh keeps growing, he will be a first ballot HOF player, if he stops right where he is, he probably still will be. That’s a nice place to be.

16 hours ago, Bruffalo said:

I don't know how you're including Wilson that high after this season, he has not looked great.

Wilson has been beat up this year, hard to hold an injury riddled season against a guy with such a great history.

After watching the game today, I think a ranking of 5-7 is about right for Josh. He still has some work to do to improve his touch and trajectory on the different type of passes. What he lacks as a passer, he provides as a runner so it depends how one weighs all that to figure his ranking. He has improved alot, he just needs to continue to keep working at it. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.