Sean on Belichick "He makes me better"

foreboding

"And, of course, there was the now-ridiculous-sounding idea that the loss had broken the Bills.

Looking at it now, that was probably always ridiculous, given that the Bills have been really good in four of five years under McDermott and Beane, and the one downturn came with Josh Allen as a rookie in 2018, which was also the year the team ripped off financial Band-Aids put on by the previous regime to keep the roster together. With that track record, there’s real proof that these Bills have staying power."

You think??

It takes being proven wrong for the media to magically get a sense of the bigger picture.

We need to have one big intervention meeting in order to rid the media of its addiction to weekly hot takes.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5

19 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

"And, of course, there was the now-ridiculous-sounding idea that the loss had broken the Bills.

Looking at it now, that was probably always ridiculous, given that the Bills have been really good in four of five years under McDermott and Beane, and the one downturn came with Josh Allen as a rookie in 2018, which was also the year the team ripped off financial Band-Aids put on by the previous regime to keep the roster together. With that track record, there’s real proof that these Bills have staying power."

You think??

It takes being proven wrong for the media to magically get a sense of the bigger picture.

We need to have one big intervention meeting in order to rid the media of its addiction to weekly hot takes.

Or get rid of the media altogether. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

You think??

Fans do the same thing though, the difference is. That's the media's job. They have to create stories. 

Edited by Ghost_002!

1 hour ago, ProcessAccepted said:

It's not the media's issue. It's the personality hot take commentators that drive clicks that is the problem.

I think modern journalism - especially in sports - has been more about hot takes and personalities to drive ratings, clicks and downloads.  The job of a traditional sports writer has evolved more into what a columnist traditionally did, not only cover the event and tell stories but also interject their opinion into the storytelling.  

IMO the driver of this is the metrics used to evaluate online content.  Specific work can now be quantified and obviously you’ll get more engagement with an extreme opinion than a more moderate one.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, foreboding said:

Sean clarifies his comments, discuss the win, a nice little article. Enjoy.
https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/12/27/mmqb-week-16-patriots-push-bills-better-sean-mcdermott

There is actually a tremendous amount of respect between Belichick and McDermott.  According to former Bills Assistant GM Jim Monos, when the Bills signed McDermott Belichick called up the Pegulas and told them what a good hire they made.

I do think that Belichick has been the measuring stick among NFL coaches.  It probably was annoying for McDermott to play NE tough only to come up short.  But the Fairburn’s “Belichick is in McDermott’s head” narrative was such bullsnit.  Especially coming off a season where he swept NE

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I think modern journalism - especially in sports - has been more about hot takes and personalities to drive ratings, clicks and downloads.  The job of a traditional sports writer has evolved more into what a columnist traditionally did, not only cover the event and tell stories but also interject their opinion into the storytelling.  

IMO the driver of this is the metrics used to evaluate online content.  Specific work can now be quantified and obviously you’ll get more engagement with an extreme opinion than a more moderate one.  

Agreed but I just wanted to give kudos to the non hot take folks that still are out there and not bundle them in with the Nick Wrights of the world. There is a difference between the sports journalists and the Skip Bayless types.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

A lot of the criticism was worthy after that loss. That it “broke the Bills” was a stretch(and honestly never even heard any media outlet say that)…. But the conservative game plan offensively when your QB demonstrated he could throw in those conditions was frustrating and cost them the game…. McD went with a much more aggressive approach to this game and it paid off big time. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/12/07/bill-belichick-new-england-patriots-broke-buffalo-bills

1 hour ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Agreed but I just wanted to give kudos to the non hot take folks that still are out there and not bundle them in with the Nick Wrights of the world. There is a difference between the sports journalists and the Skip Bayless types.

Unfortunately, the biggest difference is that the Skip Bayless and Stephen A types make millions of dollars more....which is why they exist.

I agree with your point, of course.  I'm with you.

• Like (+1) 1

Ripping on media is such a lame, cowardly activity. Lump a bunch of people into one bucket, criticize the group as a whole, complain about them when they’re not around to defend themselves, and when you’re surrounded by a bunch of people who agree with you so you’ve got the soothing comfort of safety in numbers and a friendly audience. 

I mean…do as you’d like, I guess. I just don’t get why people need a boogeyman in their lives.

Best way to get Jerry Sullivan or Peter King to go away if you don’t like their views is to quit reading them. Losing an audience is the fastest way to the pink slip lane for an opinion writer. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.