Do you hoard anything? Fine line between being a collector and a hoarder. Here are some famous book hoarders

Pete

There was an LA Times article last week that defined a book hoarder as someone who has over 1,000 books.  I find that number low to be considered a hoarder.  But think I might qualify as book hoarder.

I have over 1,700 vinyl, and I collect cassettes, CDs, bluerays.  And I love commercial cooking equipment- half pans, cast iron skillets, copper saute pans, etc- I can't get enough lol

I don't consider myself a hoarder, Im a collector.  But LA Times and my girlfriends disagree.

What do you hoard?

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/10-famous-book-hoarders?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Not sure if I've hit the 1000 mark but I've kept every book I ever bought, excepting the college texts that I could get decent resale for. Which was maybe 1 per year. I have boxes full of books just sitting, and three built-in bookcases plus two other bookcases full in my house. This includes a complete Britannica, 11th edition, plus the post-WWI supplement.

• Like (+1) 1

no.  i'm the complete opposite.  throwing ***** out brings me incredible joy.  i found a box in our basement that had homework and tests from the 3rd/4th grade that belonged to my wife. i figured it was easy pickings, but when she saw that i was getting rid of it, she had a moment.  why in god's name would anyone keep that nonsense?  we have a good marriage, but this is the kind of thing that makes me look for apartments.

Edited by teef
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, teef said:

no.  i'm the complete opposite.  throwing ***** out brings me incredible joy.  i found a box in our basement that had homework and tests from the 3rd/4th grade that belonged to my wife. i figured it was easy pickings, but when she saw that i was getting rid of it, she had a moment.  why in god's name would anyone keep that nonsense?  we have a good marriage, but this is the kind of thing that makes me look for apartments.

Enlightenment is non-attachment.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Pete said:

There was an LA Times article last week that defined a book hoarder as someone who has over 1,000 books.  I find that number low to be considered a hoarder.  But think I might qualify as book hoarder.

I have over 1,700 vinyl, and I collect cassettes, CDs, bluerays.  And I love commercial cooking equipment- half pans, cast iron skillets, copper saute pans, etc- I can't get enough lol

I don't consider myself a hoarder, Im a collector.  But LA Times and my girlfriends disagree.

What do you hoard?

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/10-famous-book-hoarders?utm_source=pocket-newtab

This is the same girlfriend you're trying to get away from? Sounds like she's the problem, not the books or pans. 

I have a few collections, I guess.  Gig posters, Strat O matic cards, trading cards, sports autographed memorabilia.  

While some of this stuff takes up a decent amount of space, I don't really consider it hoarding because it is items that have value, and the value generally increases over time (to others and not just me).  

I have never understood the "collector" thing, and I have a lot of interests that could spill over into "collecting" if I were inclined to go in that direction.

I think some people have a weird "ownership" fetish.  Like they "have to have" something, and once they have it, they are happy, such that the thing itself is not important--it's the having.

This is why the guy who actually owns the vintage toy worth $20,000 doesn't even play with it! 

Or the guy with the $37,000,000 Ferrari doesn't drive it.

It's sickening to me; if you are going to "hoard" or "collect" at least have the decency to use your collection as it was intended.

If you collect cooking equipment, cook with it now and again! 

1 hour ago, Captain_Quint said:

This is the same girlfriend you're trying to get away from? Sounds like she's the problem, not the books or pans. 

oh yes it is.  She was so sweet in beginning.  I could build the Taj Mahal for my girlfriend- the first this she would say is "why did you make it so big?".   

The NPD wacko took two of my Mahogony bookcases, filled with some of my favorites to attic Saturday night.  Not to mention some trinkets my family brought back from Egypt, Ukraine, Greece, and Australia  

Edited by Pete

My mother collected wooden animals and when she died my sister split her worldly goods and sent me the wooden animals since I purchased most of items my mother had as well as other "animal themed" decorations.  We have a few in house and would love to donate them to a charity but most of them sell collected items for pennies on dollar to bulk resellers. 

I have many boxes of comics I collected from high school to when I stopped after I had my first sustained layoff.  Some of them have gone thru multiple moves and not sure where all of the boxes are. 

Did anyone check the link of famous book hoarders?

Notables with high figures who didn’t make the top ten include Marilyn Monroe (400 books), George Washington (1,200 books), Charles Darwin (1,480 books), Oprah (1,500 books), Frederick Douglass (2,000-odd books), and David Markson (2,500 books).

On 12/9/2021 at 9:22 AM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yes.  Everything.  I just got a small basement and garage. 

Tools and "parts." When Zombie Apocalypse strikes, I will be able to rebuild everything AND pump fresh water to drink! I guess they call that a "prepper" now?  

Recalling some of your old posts, I hate to inform you but sump water is not fresh.

On 12/9/2021 at 1:49 PM, Nextmanup said:

I have never understood the "collector" thing, and I have a lot of interests that could spill over into "collecting" if I were inclined to go in that direction.

I think some people have a weird "ownership" fetish.  Like they "have to have" something, and once they have it, they are happy, such that the thing itself is not important--it's the having.

This is why the guy who actually owns the vintage toy worth $20,000 doesn't even play with it! 

Or the guy with the $37,000,000 Ferrari doesn't drive it.

It's sickening to me; if you are going to "hoard" or "collect" at least have the decency to use your collection as it was intended.

If you collect cooking equipment, cook with it now and again! 

Did you ever see Brewster’s Millions? Collectibles can be a great investment. If you buy investment quality stamps, however, and lick them and put them on your Christmas cards, you have ruined your investment. There is a difference between a wise investment and being an idiot. 

Having said that, if it’s for personal enjoyment that is a different story. 

I once went to appraise a nice looking house on the water in Florida. The Realtor met me at the door and stuck her head thru the crack in the door saying “now, don’t be alarmed”. HUH? The lady was a hoarder, BIG TIME!

The house was filled floor to ceiling with only narrow passageways you could barely pass thru. I’ll give her credit, she was VERY organized! Books in one area, Christmas broken up into rooms with ornaments vs rooms with Santas, etc. Word was she had a disorder (duh!) and didn’t want her kids to inherit anything so she tried to spend it all online. I have never seen anything quite like THAT! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.