Is it worth seeing if Antonio Williams should get a shot?

Lothar

I’d like to see what Williams can do ! 
unfortunately Breda is not a 25 carry a game guy besides having a fumbling problem and 

neither Moss nor Singletary have earned a #1 back job. 
maybe because we don’t use a fullback I don’t know 

after watching dalvin cook manufacturing big runs tonight against the Steelers 

i am convinced we need to upgrade our backfield we definitely need better and also 

we need bigger because we constantly get stuffed on short yardage runs

On 12/7/2021 at 10:54 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Last week NE allows 270 yards rushing to guys TN picked up off of the street.

Last night NE runs for over 200 with a couple RB's who'd look like trash if they were running behind the Bills OL.

Today some Bills fans are blaming RB's for the team's lack of a consistent running game.:doh:

It's not like this is happening in the NFC west...........these are teams that the Bills are competing for playoff position with that are putting up big yardage numbers without talented RB's.    

Dumbest response ever is to use a high pick on a RB to address the issue.

Some knucklehead was lamenting not trading up for Najee Harris..........the dude's running for a pathetic 3.6 ypc on the season.    

Give it up already,   the jury weighed in and went home like 20 years ago.   Block it up and the yards will come.

the OL is part of the problem, but our backs would be doing very little due to lack of speed behind any line.  

Also, someone like Dalvin Cook, Harris, etc. would excel even behind this line.  

• Disagree 1

5 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I honest to god wouldn’t mind if they cut Moss today. He sucks. He slow and brings absolutely nothing to the table at this point 

He thinks he's a different back than he is.  He may used to have been a power back who could make defensive players make "business decisions" in HS and college but in the NFL nobody seems overly concerned about meeting him in the hole.

On 12/8/2021 at 9:35 PM, Breakout Squad said:

If it’s that bad why are we consistently winning since McD and then Beane took over? My opinion is that they are not bad but pretty darn good actually. Every team misses on players. 

they hit on Allen in the draft, otherwise, the OL and RB picks have been abysmal, and the DL (throw a dart and draft everyone) strategy has not paid off.  

10 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

the OL is part of the problem, but our backs would be doing very little due to lack of speed behind any line.  

Also, someone like Dalvin Cook, Harris, etc. would excel even behind this line.  

The OL is the majority of the problem.

Put these backs behind the OL in NE or TN and they would produce fine.

Najee Harris is a talented RB.   Pittsburgh expended a $30M-per-year-position-type draft pick on him.    He's rushing for a ghastly 3.7 ypc this season.   Because his OL isn't good.    

By contrast......Devin Singletary is getting nearly a full yard per carry more than him and is basically a career 4.7 ypc RB on over 400 career carries.

Not sure how one can watch the Bills OL allow defenders to slash cleanly into the backfield play after play and somehow think that it's not an offensive line issue.  

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I honest to god wouldn’t mind if they cut Moss today. He sucks. He slow and brings absolutely nothing to the table at this point 

He's been bad this season,  but in fairness this OL allows free rushers at an alarming rate.    And elusiveness is not his game.   At all.    He's a power runner who is good at blitz pickup and not bad in the passing game.    That is why he keeps getting snaps.   My issue with him is the same as last year.    As the season went on he started to anticipate penetrating defenders and got tentative to the holes and left yardage on the field.    While it's hard to blame a player for that considering how bad the OL has been.........that's a sign of an ordinary RB.   But put him on TN and he would be their #1 RB right now.     

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Can he pick up the blitz.  Thats the most important aspect of any of the rbs playing.  This week isnt the week to “find an idenity”.  TB is extremely good against the run.   Use multiple formations but I see this beinf a game they start throwing it 20 or so in a row.  

12 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

they hit on Allen in the draft, otherwise, the OL and RB picks have been abysmal, and the DL (throw a dart and draft everyone) strategy has not paid off.  

On offense it's not just the bad draft picks/UFA's, but the contracts.  People talk about being close to the cap but...

Dawkins is getting paid a ton to be a middle of the road OT, albeit affected likely by the virus.  Making Morse that highly paid with a concussion history.  Daryl Williams (on admittedly a 1 year deal) at RT now kicked inside to G.  Letting Teller go.  Trading up for Ford, etc.  Buffalo has heavily relied on UFA for OL, but not drafted the young guys (save perhaps Brown) to replace them.  So, gotta spend more.  Because, if a guy like Ford works out, you don't sign a Daryl Williams.    

McD and Beane had better up their game on offense - both amateur scouting and pro personnel - or this is how it'll be in future seasons.    

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

You and me both.   Read of the 28 runningbacks who ran at the 2020 combine, Moss was the 4th slowest and it shows, with a long rush of 17 yards this year against defenses playing a ton of cover 2.     The only dudes slower than him at the combine were: Tony Jones, Benny Lemay and the always dangerous Sewo Olonilu.

Edited by billsfan714

On 12/8/2021 at 3:27 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Pay a little closer attention.     The worst hit Allen has taken all season was an impossibly stupid play where Breida ran right past a blitzer he was responsible for.   Then he had a play last week that he blew in the red zone by going in motion to the wrong side of the field.    Then against NE he just forgot how to physically accept a handoff.    That's an exceptional amount of egregious mental mistakes for the few snaps he's played.    There is a difference between improperly executing assignments and missing them entirely.     It's discouraging because he is a really explosive player with his hands on the football and a good fit for an outside zone team.   

It's not just him. We had the entire backfield go one way and the line go another. There is clearly a bigger problem on offense. I also don't see any of our RBs or even TEs picking up blitzes like they should. The whole team is playing poorly. 

1 minute ago, billsfan714 said:

You and me both.   Read of the 28 runningbacks who ran at the 2020 combine, Moss was the 4th slowest and it shows, with a long rush of 17 yards this year against defenses playing a ton of cover 2.     The only dudes slower than him at the combine were: Tony Jones, Benny Lemay and the always dangerous Sewo Olonilu.

While i think speed helps in the running game as it is currently constructed - a lot of that has to do with the fact that the structure is such garbage that you're better off just sprinting to the edge.  Arian foster, Alfred morris, Ingram, Leveon Bell - there's plenty of backs who have been successful outside the structure of the 40 yard dash.  I don't have faith that moss will be one simply because he lacks the vision to make plays in outside zone - but it won't be because he wasn't slightly faster.  

The Buffalo O-line is the leaky or corroded pipe to the water that is any running back you put in the backfield.

Some people want to replace the water and think it will resolve the leaks.

RB plays a part here, a small one as compared to the abysmal yards before contact numbers this O-line allows.

On 12/7/2021 at 10:25 PM, Lothar said:

I mean at this point our running game is pretty ineffective. And McDermott is pretty good about giving guys the hook if they aren't producing. Maybe choose between Singletary and Moss as the 3rd down back and give Williams a shot. He's bigger and can't be much worse at this point. Our OL is what it is.

Otherwise the running option changes we could try seem to be limited to more jet sweeps - or the threat of jet sweeps - at least a half dozen times a game with McKenzie or Breida.

I would love to see get a shot,  at this point they cannot do any worse

5 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Fun fact: Singletary is actually not far off from having 1,000 yard rushing season this year. Needs to average about 62 yards a game from here on out.

And while 1,000 yards doesn't mean what it used to, maybe if they....I don't know....give him the damn ball more he would produce more. He's likely to have a 50 catch season too, this year. Play this kid 70-80% of the snaps and our running game looks MUCH more solid. Or, just keep taking snaps away with Moss and Breida. Throw in Williams, too.

Singletary should be the lead back.  Breida change of pace.  I   Would consider Williams for the power back role.  Short yardage and goal line.  Biggest runs this year have been Singletary and Brieda.  I think Moss needs to sit.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Singletary should be the lead back.  Breida change of pace.  I   Would consider Williams for the power back role.  Short yardage and goal line.  Biggest runs this year have been Singletary and Brieda.  I think Moss needs to sit.  

Moss needs to go. I'm about done with Brieda as well. 

I'd like to see the production that Singletary would have in an 80-20 split. I don't even care who gets the 20%. Bottom line for me is Singletary needs to be fed more.

20 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Fun fact: Singletary is actually not far off from having 1,000 yard rushing season this year. Needs to average about 62 yards a game from here on out.

And while 1,000 yards doesn't mean what it used to, maybe if they....I don't know....give him the damn ball more he would produce more. He's likely to have a 50 catch season too, this year. Play this kid 70-80% of the snaps and our running game looks MUCH more solid. Or, just keep taking snaps away with Moss and Breida. Throw in Williams, too.

Singletary would be a good #2 RB.

We need a #1

9 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Why? So Daboll and McD can give him a 30% snap share? 

Project Singletary's numbers out and he has the production of a top 10 back. 

I'm a big Singletary advocate, but did you watch the Vikings vs. Steelers game last night? Both RBs in that game for both teams were better than Singletary.  And Minnesota has a pretty spectacular WR corps to go along with it especially when Thielan's healthy.

Like I said, Singletary would be a good #2 in a 1-2 punch.  I really wouldn't mind seeing what Antonio Williams has.  Running Backs are one position where they can come out of nowhere.

4 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I'm a big Singletary advocate, but did you watch the Vikings vs. Steelers game last night? Both RBs in that game for both teams were better than Singletary.  And Minnesota has a pretty spectacular WR corps to go along with it especially when Thielan's healthy.

Like I said, Singletary would be a good #2 in a 1-2 punch.  I really wouldn't mind seeing what Antonio Williams has.  Running Backs are one position where they can come out of nowhere.

I'm not disagreeing with you. And Cook especially is a magnificent back. I claimed before the season he was a top 3 and got laughed at. 

I really wouldn't be shocked if this week Williams was active over Moss possibly Breida. 

Just now, No Place To Hyde said:

I'm not disagreeing with you. And Cook especially is a magnificent back. I claimed before the season he was a top 3 and got laughed at. 

I really wouldn't be shocked if this week Williams was active over Moss possibly Breida. 

Is Williams even on the active roster?  How would this work?  With the new rules we have the ability to bring up PS guys and activating them without cutting anyone?  Is that it?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.