Democracy’s Fiery Ordeal: The War in Ukraine 🇺🇦

Tiberius

1 hour ago, muppy said:

Im wading in here reluctantly. But this post (either rightly or wrongly) imo is basically insinuating with a very straight face that Russian political issues in the Ukraine are in some way justifying what despot putin is doing now......the war that  is occurring right now on the hourly/daily is "explainable"..? Yeah right. Siding with a lunatic despot. This thinking would try to explain away hitler too. What a joke. To me they were/ are equal crazy equal ruthless equal WRONG  ...explain it? Yeah its called Evil.

@leh-nerd skin-erd I need a rational voice to listen to this with me and give me your honest impression/thoughts. I unlike most posters in this thread Know I need discernment and wisdom to assimilate all that is currently happening in the Ukraine.  I like when Russel says the comments make his threads a think tank community hopefully learning and growing together...(my interpretation of his preliminary  comments ) 

Hi Mup,

I can commit to rational analysis on this issue, but not much more.  What I don't know about Russia and Ukraine would fill the soon-to-be-built open-aired/non-dome stadium in OP.    I'll watch the video later today, though admittedly I likely will feel I'm being manipulated in the first 60 seconds.  My curse, and a gift of sorts to me, is I'm cynical about intent and being told only part of the story virtually every time I wade into something like this. 

Big picture, I'm near certain that the pre-war issues between Russia and Ukraine are/were exceptionally complicated.  I think it's hard for average Americans to wrap their heads around the strife/struggles facing people who live in that region given alliances and hostilities that have arisen over the past thousand years or so.  Over here, we flip some spit to a company like 23NME, find out some small part of us traces back to a geographic area where Kyiv is situated and holy crap, we're 1/53rd Ukrainian.  Or, maybe we look a bit harder and see our ancestors may have actually hailed from what is known today as Belarus, Russia or Poland.  Over there, they don't need any of that to tell them who they are, and who their people were, right, wrong or indifferent.  And, of course, to some folks over there it's deadly serious to them. 

Where that leaves me is that while I know nothing about who was who(m) before they are who(m) they are now, I do understand an awful lot about human suffering and man's inhumanity to man.  I'm reminded of an old expression about old men starting wars and young men being sent to die in the fight.  It's all just so &*&^ing tragic to me.  

As for a professor/teacher offering "balanced" analysis of the crisis, I get a bit squeamish when a deep dive is offered and that results in banishment from the kingdom of knowledge.  I think one can understand the relative appeal of early-Adolph given the relative ignorance of people at the time and the general mindset of the Cherman people in the 1930s, discuss it openly and not be labelled a supporter of Hitler and his atrocities.  I think a class entitled "How did we get here?" if taught fairly and openly, often leads to a debrief properly labelled "Crisis Averted" down the road.  

Peace friend.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/8/2022 at 2:39 PM, Boatdrinks said:

Joe wants us to believe his putrid policies and agenda have no impact , but I was paying up to $1.65 less a gallon when Trump was President. It was already $1.00 or more higher before Ukraine. Liberal fact checkers hit the snooze button again on this one. 

Just going to ignore that the world was in a pandemic which shut down most worldwide travel, and even a lot of local travel as people worked from home?  Do you not remember that there was such an oil glut that companies were paying other to take their oil because there was no storage, and what storage was available cost more than the oil was worth?  Prices were bound to go up, no matter who is President.

Presidential policies can change prices to an extent, but this narrative that Biden somehow controls gas prices is absurd.

Also, oil companies were making record profits last year, before this huge increase, yet somehow no one seems to think that maybe they're ripping us off.  In 2007ish, oil was $160 a barrel and gas was $4 a gallon.  Accounting for inflation, that would be $223 oil now.  Seeing as how oil is $115 a barrel right now, which is equivalent to $84 in 2006, and prices are still at $4, something seems a bit off don't you think?

3 hours ago, BillStime said:

If Trump were POTUS - Ukraine would not exist today.

No one can possibly know this, Billsy.  But if you thinkbits true, can you explain why Ukraine wasn't just taken during his actual presidency?

24 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Just going to ignore that the world was in a pandemic which shut down most worldwide travel, and even a lot of local travel as people worked from home?  Do you not remember that there was such an oil glut that companies were paying other to take their oil because there was no storage, and what storage was available cost more than the oil was worth?  Prices were bound to go up, no matter who is President.

Presidential policies can change prices to an extent, but this narrative that Biden somehow controls gas prices is absurd.

Also, oil companies were making record profits last year, before this huge increase, yet somehow no one seems to think that maybe they're ripping us off.  In 2007ish, oil was $160 a barrel and gas was $4 a gallon.  Accounting for inflation, that would be $223 oil now.  Seeing as how oil is $115 a barrel right now, which is equivalent to $84 in 2006, and prices are still at $4, something seems a bit off don't you think?

Heavy lies the crown. 

Politics always factors into this, fairly or not.  From the GOP perspective, you hammer the leftist policies of the Biden admin and hope it yields fruit.  

37 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Of course presidents don't control oil or other commodity prices.

What they do though, undeniably, is influence the environment that effect energy producers decisions to commit capital to expand production.

It cannot be denied that this administration has been openly hostile to domestic fossil energy suppliers, whether drillers or shippers.

That influences capital expenditure decisions, as well it should.

Hate you 'till I need you simply doesn't work.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, aristocrat said:

Kamala finds the refugee crisis hilarious

Fire up the outrage machine!!!. Harris laughed because of the timing with the Polish PM, not because of the crisis. 

Jesus get a grip. You sound like BillsTime sharing nonsense like this as if it means something. 

11 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Of course presidents don't control oil or other commodity prices.

What they do though, undeniably, is influence the environment that effect energy producers decisions to commit capital to expand production.

It cannot be denied that this administration has been openly hostile to domestic fossil energy suppliers, whether drillers or shippers.

That influences capital expenditure decisions, as well it should.

Hate you 'till I need you simply doesn't work.

And... one of the first things new President Biden did was issue an executive order called "Executive Order on Protecting Public Health and the Environment and Restoring Science to Tackle the Climate Crisis" which killed Keystone XL while also freezing new drilling leases.  Sure the industry has lots of leased land as Jen points out in WH press conferences while failing to mention you also need drilling permits.

Activists lobbied investment and private equity firms, Wall Street Banks, state and private pension funds, and other large investment pools of money to sell, stop, and starve the domestic oil industry of capital.  This effectively eliminated the shale drillers from capital markets.  The big players cut capital spending budgets.   

Add to this the Green New Deal and the message delivered to the industry that we're not going to need you much longer.  So who in their right mind commits billions to exploration and drilling in that kind of environment combined with efforts to starve the industry of capital?

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, John Adams said:

Fire up the outrage machine!!!. Harris laughed because of the timing with the Polish PM, not because of the crisis. 

Jesus get a grip. You sound like BillsTime sharing nonsense like this as if it means something. 

This is her thing and I can't figure out why nobody has told her to stop laughing during serious situations.  It's not a good look. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Care to explain what information brings you to this conclusion?

Are you seriously going to pretend Trump isn't/wasn't 100% subservient to Putin?

The same guy who had a public meltdown over a missed phone call from Putin?

“If Putin wants a call with me you just put him through!”

Just look at some of Trump's past actions and you tell me Trump would have magically stopped Putin from invading Ukraine if he were POTUS:

Conald guts the anti-Russia stance on Ukraine in the GQPs 2016 platform - who benefits?

Conald constantly denies Russian hacking (as does the cult here despite the plethora of evidence) - who benefits?

Conald did everything to destroy our relationships with our allies and with the EU - who benefits?

Conald tried to destroy the credibility of NATO - who benefits?

Conald pulled back our troops in Germany - who benefits?

Conald applauded Putin's victory in Syria after handing it to him on a platter - who benefits?

Conald tried to add Putin to the G7 - who benefits?

Conald told Putin he could have Crimea - who benefits?

Conald shared classified information with Russian operatives in 2017 - who benefits?

Conald continued to buy and increase oil imports from Putin - who benefits?

Conald incited a non-stop culture war on American soil - who benefits?

Please - why was the America first president and CULT so eager to cater to the anti-American; anti-Democracy dictator of Russia?

• Eyeroll 1