Buffalo #1 NFL City ... for Bad Weather as per The Weather Channel

ChasBB

I have to say, this seems so over-played.

In December and January, MOST of this country is cold and crappy.  I'm not sure it's any worse in Orchard Park, especially if there is no storm at the moment.

Also: parts of this country (Green Bay, Chicago, Minneapolis) are FREAKING COLD in the winter time...they routinely get much colder air than Buffalo does, thanks to the lake.

On a non-storm kind of day, I'd rather be in Buffalo than Green Bay or Chicago, with minus 3 outside air temps.

It just doesn't get that cold in WNY typically.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Green Bay and Chicago seem to have more snow games than we have.  

The wind is getting ridiculous though.  Every pregame it’s a conversation piece.  Hopefully our next stadium has designs to address this even if it won’t likely be a dome. 

• Agree 2

Just now, ChasBB said:

Fair enough.  I just never saw a formal analysis like this before, but those of us from Buffalo know this.

As a native WNYer, I have said for years: the rest of the country thinks typical BUFFALO weather is the type of thing that is, in reality, typical WATERTOWN type weather....which is WAY worse than Buffalo.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

In December and January, MOST of this country is cold and crappy.  I'm not sure it's any worse in Orchard Park, especially if there is no storm at the moment.

Also: parts of this country (Green Bay, Chicago, Minneapolis) are FREAKING COLD in the winter time...they routinely get much colder air than Buffalo does, thanks to the lake.

On a non-storm kind of day, I'd rather be in Buffalo than Green Bay or Chicago, with minus 3 outside air temps.

Yes, much of the midwest gets colder than we do by a lot...but winters here in general are miserable for 3 main reasons:

1) Cloud cover - while many places get colder, they also are usually sunny much more often than we are in the winter...November and December are in the low to mid 20s for percentage of sunshine, far below summertime when we have very high rates of sunshine for the NorthEast

2) Lake Effect Snow - very few places routinely get the amount of snow we can get here in the blink of an eye, and that literally can happen out of nowhere.  There are days we have picked up a foot of snow from a lake effect storm that just "happened" and was completely unexpected(I know as I read the NOAA forecasts regularly) that are unlike pretty much anywhere else in the country.  We also can have very well forecasted events that are known well in advance that can lead to multiple feet of snow.  That's unheard of for places outside of mountainous areas...they don't just get random snow events unless they are from strong fronts coming through and picking up moisture from somewhere.

3) Wind - we are in the top 10 windiest cities in the lower 48(ranked 8th), and much windier than Chicago(wrong side of the lake). Boston is actually a little windier than we are, but they don't usually get the snow we do to go with it unless they have a Nor'easter.  Worst of all, the winter months are windier than the summer here and anyone who has spent any time outdoors in the winter knows it can be brutal. Couple this with our stadium having the trickiest winds by far to deal with due to only having a tunnel at one end of it which causes crazy swirling winds, and it's not hard to see why we rank so high.

https://www.treehugger.com/windiest-cities-us-4858513

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just at a Michael's in Kansas where my wife bought fake polyester snow for her little Christmas village.  The product was  called "Buffalo Snow."

That's the city's reputation and we ought to wear it with pride.  I didn't watch the video but if I'm not mistaken,  Buffalo is both the snowiest and windiest NFL city.

6 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Yes, much of the midwest gets colder than we do by a lot...but winters here in general are miserable for 2 main reasons:

1) Cloud cover - while many places get colder, they also are usually sunny much more often than we are in the winter...November and December are in the low to mid 20s for percentage of sunshine, far below summertime when we have very high rates of sunshine for the NorthEast

2) Lake Effect Snow - very few places routinely get the amount of snow we can get here in the blink of an eye, and that literally can happen out of nowhere.  There are days we have picked up a foot of snow from a lake effect storm that just "happened" and was completely unexpected(I know as I read the NOAA forecasts regularly) that are unlike pretty much anywhere else in the country.  We also can have very well forecasted events that are known well in advance that can lead to multiple feet of snow.  That's unheard of for places outside of mountainous areas...they don't just get random snow events unless they are from strong fronts coming through and picking up moisture from somewhere.

Yeah but what the rest of the country doesn't know is that the lake effect stuff mostly pounds the snow belt which is not Buffalo at all.

It's the South Towns and places like West Seneca, Orchard Park, East Aurora, etc.

Of course ANYWHERE in WNY can be slammed with snow on occasion, but it's funny how the national media will start up with the "Buffalo Gets Slammed" story and I'll talk to my sister who lives right in the heart of the city....and she'll say "We have a light dusting of snow on the ground."

As for GRAY SKY?  NO DOUBT!  That stuff will KILL YOU and WNY gets a ton of it.

Then again, so does Seattle and lots of other places too.

7 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Just at a Michael's in Kansas where my wife bought fake polyester snow for her little Christmas village.  The product was  called "Buffalo Snow."

That's the city's reputation and we ought to wear it with pride.  I didn't watch the video but if I'm not mistaken,  Buffalo is both the snowiest and windiest NFL city.

Actually Boston is windier than we are...average winds in Buffalo are 11.8 mph to 12.3 mph for Boston

12 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

As a native WNYer, I have said for years: the rest of the country thinks typical BUFFALO weather is the type of thing that is, in reality, typical WATERTOWN type weather....which is WAY worse than Buffalo.

I just need to play devil’s advocate a bit. The term Buffalo is a vague one that most of the country doesn’t understand. Lake effect snow and weather patterns are crazy. What’s happening in Amherst is typically different from what’s happening in the Southtowns. Different areas of the city see different weather patterns as well. The stadium is in Orchard Park, and I’m willing to bet that Orchard Park weather is closer to Watertown than other areas of WNY are. 

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

Yeah but what the rest of the country doesn't know is that the lake effect stuff mostly pounds the snow belt which is not Buffalo at all.

It's the South Towns and places like West Seneca, Orchard Park, East Aurora, etc.

Of course ANYWHERE in WNY can be slammed with snow on occasion, but it's funny how the national media will start up with the "Buffalo Gets Slammed" story and I'll talk to my sister who lives right in the heart of the city....and she'll say "We have a light dusting of snow on the ground."

I fully agree, good post. I saw the same thing with that big fall storm a few years ago when I had family in the city. The Weather Channel spent days talking about how Buffalo was a no go for travel, and I easily drove right downtown, with just a little snow. That’s the exact issue at hand though, the stadium is in OP. 

4 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I mean, that is where the stadium is located isn’t it 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

When that wind blows across that lake in Nov/Dec you can get some pretty significant accumulations even into January.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.