LOL Harrison Phillips

Hapless Bills Fan

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I read this and I kind of wonder what games you've been watching, in general.

I don't know what the defensive plan was in the AFCCG.  It was a plan where you lose your hat - a Bad Plan.  We also wore down in the 2nd half of the Tennessee game and were so focused on stopping Henry (which we did, barring that one long run) that we couldn't stop them on any possession.  So those are valid points for "finesse" I guess. 

If you look at the Pitts boxscore, they were pretty well shut down.

In general, the Bills defense has been playing hard and physical this year.  They've been swarming to the ball.  Guys don't just get hit by one tackler, they get hit by 2 or 3.  I can hear them hit on the TV.  Many of our turnovers are not finesse turnovers.  That fumble recovered by Hyde?  There was nothing finesse about that.  That was a straight up smack-down pigskin larceny.

We're not limiting teams to 3.8 ypa (#3) rushing by being "finesse".  We're not leading the league in QB hurry % and pressure % and top-10 in QB knockdown % while being near the bottom (27) in blitz % because "finesse".  We're first in YAC allowed because teams are "imposing a physicality" we aren't matching.

I don't see us crying for flags on D.  The crying I see (sometimes) is us being flagged for just, you know, "doing our job".  Tre White in particular gets no respect. 

And yes, it's bonkers to knock one of the top defenses in the league. 

I do think it's a fair point that we haven't been as consistent as I'd like to see on D.  I feel like sometimes we get "up" for a game and then let up the next week.  So that's a point the coaches and player leaders are hopefully addressing.

All solid points Hap. As I mentioned I'm not down on the Defense as it pertains to their overall production as a unit. The results speak for themselves. In those 4 games mentioned I just couldn't get past the fact that our Defense couldn't do to them what they were doing to us which was making him  uncomfortable. They're exceptional in coverage and limiting the rush sans Tennessee. Put they still can't put opposing QB's on their back outside of the Dolphins of course. In our 3 losses they have a combined (3) full sacks and (2)0.5's. Zero against Tennessee in which at the time Tannehill led the league in sacks taken. That's the game that really frustrates me and the only one the D had no answers. To score 31 and lose with this D is bonkers😏

Maybe I should just take out my frustration on the common denominator in all of our losses which is our O Line. 

6 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

I once got hit by and then run over by my own Subaru which I was trying to stop with only my body. And to be honest, afterwards, lying there bloody and bashed, chest heaving, looking up at the clouds and blue sky, I felt VERY alive. 

Does that count?

Those Subarus ... they're really good cars.

In spite of this incident, I bet it's still running.

• Haha (+1) 2

He should merit his play after Washington Redskins defensive tackle Mike Butz, the one thing about Joe Gibbs, he would always try to get the best out of a player he would tell Mike on third downs I just want you to use your strength and push the guard into the backfield don't use spins, speed rushes just use your power and push the guard back into the backfield and the results were Washington had one to the best defenses in the NFL and I think that is what Phillps should do.

5 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

All solid points Hap. As I mentioned I'm not down on the Defense as it pertains to their overall production as a unit. The results speak for themselves. In those 4 games mentioned I just couldn't get past the fact that our Defense couldn't do to them what they were doing to us which was making him  uncomfortable. They're exceptional in coverage and limiting the rush sans Tennessee. Put they still can't put opposing QB's on their back outside of the Dolphins of course. In our 3 losses they have a combined (3) full sacks and (2)0.5's. Zero against Tennessee in which at the time Tannehill led the league in sacks taken. That's the game that really frustrates me and the only one the D had no answers. To score 31 and lose with this D is bonkers😏

Maybe I should just take out my frustration on the common denominator in all of our losses which is our O Line. 

Tannehill was not uncomfortable enough, no question there.  That was a strange game plan, where we appeared so fixated on stopping the run, that we gave up the pass to some extent.  216 yds on 29 attempts is not a great day, but he got conversions when he needed them.  Really that game hinged on a handful of plays: the Josh Allen pick which gave Tennessee the ball on the Buffalo 11, the long Derrick Henry TD, and the 3rd downs we couldn't convert in the RZ earlier in the game.  But you're right that it's crazy to score 31 points and lose - just as it's crazy to give up 9 points and lose with one of the league's best offenses.

But as far as "do to them what they were doing to us", there's a couple of things.  Foremost, what exactly do you mean by it? 

Let's look at Tennessee's passing game.  A lot of Tannehill's passes (12 out of 29) were behind or within 5 yds of the LOS.  More than half were within 10 yds. It's hard to sack a QB who dumps the ball off quickly, but we're certainly affecting him.  Josh Allen would get sacked hurried and bothered a lot less behind our line if he would do likewise and take the short easy completion a bit more often.

As for the other games, again - we're leading the league in pressure % and hurry %, and 1st in air yards -  all while being 27th in blitz %.  That says we're being very effective getting pressure with 4 guys most of the time.

In other words, being very physical.  Most of the time.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, RochesterLifer said:

Horrible Harry is a Stanford graduate with a double major in Sociology and Science, Technology and Society. You Sir, have very high standards.

My best guess is Turk is an RPI grad and we all know grads of the Tute are way smarter than everyone else

21 hours ago, FarrellsFinest said:

Wake me up when he makes a play this year.

I'm guessing that you were sleeping during the game last Sunday too? I actually gave him a shout-out in the Game Balls thread, as he was very active against the Jets, and yes, made a number of plays.

2 hours ago, folz said:

I'm guessing that you were sleeping during the game last Sunday too? I actually gave him a shout-out in the Game Balls thread, as he was very active against the Jets, and yes, made a number of plays.

I'm guessing that FarrellsFinest is one of Those Guys who think the role of a 1TDT in McDermott/Frazier's defense is to sack the QB so: No sacks, no plays.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/20/2021 at 3:44 AM, billsbackto81 said:

Naa, you were absolutely right about this D and the D-line especially, they are SOFT. Both of our lines are SOFT. A consistent theme of this team is they fold when they  get punched in the mouth. They were much tougher before they started believing in the press clippings. The only thing I’m hoping is that everyone is going to write them off and this team plays better as an underdog. There is a lot of football to be played and they can turn it around, but they need to get nasty. There’s been too many disasters to think they needed another wake up call, we are well past that. Each individual needs to get pissed and start playing with an edge again. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.