Our 3rd down defensive % is amazing!

JerseyBills

I had alot of free time today. Took some time to look at our defensive stats. The turnovers,ppg, qb rating is all elite. 

One stat that was mind blowing was our 3rd down defensive %.

For starters, we haven't allowed over 50% 3rd down completion percentage all year (9 games). That's an amazing stat in itself. 

But then you add up the total 3rd down percentage for opposing offenses is 33/112 for a 29.4% opponent conversion rate on 3rd down. Without going through 31 other teams , I'd guarantee that's the best in the game. Probably by a pretty large margin.

For example, the Bills have gone over 50% on 3rd down conversions in 4 out of 9 games , going 57/117 for a 48.7% 3rd down conversion rate. 

We're talking about a 20% advantage on 3rd down conversions between our O and D. These are insane numbers folks. These are Alabama vs Appalachian State numbers! 

When I have time I'm going to do more digging into these 3rd down stats vs other great teams but I'd bet this team is probably in the top 10 all time. 

Didn't plan on making a thread , was just blown away by these numbers and wanted thoughts from the board. 

Thanks and Go Bills!!!

Edit- Top 2 3rd down defenses 

The Vikings 2017 defense is the 2nd best 3rd Down defense since the league began tracking 3rd Down conversions in 1991. They finished 51/202 for a 25.2% on 3rd down defense. They reached , but lost in the NFC championship game. 

The number 1 3rd down defense is the 2019 Pats* who went 47/149 for a 24.1% on 3rd down. 

One example that shows how much Brady benefited from consistent great defenses.

Pats won the SB that year beating the high powered offense from LA. 

Safe to say this stat is a pretty good indicator on how far teams will go. 

The Bills are currently 33.3% on road versus 23.9 at home. So that's some serious home field advantage for our D.

You take away KC and Ten who went 9/22 for 41% and we're likely lingering around. 20 -21&.

Basically saying we have a legit shot at breaking that record and adding in how well we are on 3rd down on O , that's SB caliber numbers imo. 

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Hopefully the Bills solve the O-line problems because this defense is too good to waste. Josh is an elite passer. However, he has been made mortal in games where there is no balance perceived or real with the running game. The defense can’t win games on their own.

One or the other can make a team good, at best.  To be great, you need both. Three months ago I didn't think we could win the SB because our defense was at best average.  If our offense can play great, which it certainly has, this team will be hard to beat.

3 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Wondering how long it will take  for the "because of playing against a lot of bad teams" post to pop up lol. 

1 minute ago, HOUSE said:

We have been playing crummy teams

Didn't take long!

• Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Blainorama5 said:

Not a bad stat at all.  A veteran defense that KNOWS the system is hard to beat - especially when paired with an above average offense.

Still need Star back though for sure - getting run on is a still a vulnerability we're gonna see next week against the Colts.

The Bills rank 3rd in rushing yards against and 4th in yards per attempt. They have been playing the run well this year. Elite versus the pass and still dang good against the run.

6 hours ago, MJS said:

The Bills rank 3rd in rushing yards against and 4th in yards per attempt. They have been playing the run well this year. Elite versus the pass and still dang good against the run.

Yup, how much do you think Star being back has to do with that improvement? imo I think he has a lot to do with it. Honestly a whole lot more than I would have thought.

I was one of those that didn't think Star would make much of a difference. But I'm definitely glad to be wrong

48 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Yup, how much do you think Star being back has to do with that improvement? imo I think he has a lot to do with it. Honestly a whole lot more than I would have thought.

I was one of those that didn't think Star would make much of a difference. But I'm definitely glad to be wrong

I'm not sure. When Star was playing in 2019 the Bills still had a leaky run defense. So I don't know.

I know Ed Oliver has been a beast this year. That's probably a big help. I think the dline has improved as a whole.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

I'm not sure. When Star was playing in 2019 the Bills still had a leaky run defense. So I don't know.

I know Ed Oliver has been a beast this year. That's probably a big help. I think the dline has improved as a whole.

Yeah Oliver has played better. The rookie GR has been good too. Just saying I think Star has made more of a difference than some may have thought. Was lot of post that Star coming back would change not much at all or any at all and I think he's made quite a bit of difference myself 

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, MJS said:

Oliver not playing out of position like last year was a hidden benefit of getting Star back...two upgrades with one player...

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Yeah Oliver has played better. The rookie GR has been good too. Just saying I think Star has made more of a difference than some may have thought. Was lot of post that Star coming back would change not much at all or any at all and I think he's made quite a bit of difference myself 

41 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Oliver not playing out of position like last year was a hidden benefit of getting Star back...two upgrades with one player...

Probably. I think it is less Star by himself, and more that everyone (including Star) on the dline has gotten better or are new pieces that have worked. Star dropped some weight and looks faster and just healthier. I think the year off helped him. Addison can just be a situational pass rusher like he thrives with because of the emergence of Gregory Rousseau and others. Oliver now has some years under his belt and is finally putting it all together.

I think definately Star helps, but I don't think he is the only reason, or even the primary reason, that the dline is better, including run defense. I think he is one positive in a group of a lot of positives. But that's just my own guess.

7 minutes ago, MJS said:

I think definately Star helps, but I don't think he is the only reason, or even the primary reason, that the dline is better, including run defense. I think he is one positive in a group of a lot of positives. But that's just my own guess

Well yeah he would never be the only reason. Dline is better, for sure, but I'm jus saying Star has done more than some said he would coming back. I mean if you take Star away, only different player from last season is the rookie GR. 

Just saying for those who thought Star was a lost cause are very wrong

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Pokebball said:

One or the other can make a team good, at best.  To be great, you need both. Three months ago I didn't think we could win the SB because our defense was at best average.  If our offense can play great, which it certainly has, this team will be hard to beat.

Plus the Bills are no slouch in STs.  They have the best kicker in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 2

Having the same defense in place now for the 5th consecutive year is a key component here.  The continuity in defensive coaching and personnel is not to be understated.  

Players know where they need to be, and they know where their teammates should also be.  Look at what first year coaches like the almighty Robert Saleh are trying to implement, and also remember how many times we got blown out in 2017 when we were going through the same types of challenges early on

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.