I hate to say it … but the Pats are coming

dave mcbride

56 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

So McDermott was why they went to the playoffs 3 years running and firing him lead to Reid's ouster?  That's a scalding hot take for sure.

🙄

That's a real stretch of reading incomprehension.  Let's look at what I actually said:

"It is of course true that Reid promoted Juan Castillo, his OL coach, to DC, and the reasons why Reid made that decision are a puzzle for the ages.  It took the Eagles from a 10-6 team who had been to the playoffs 3 years running, to an 8-8 then a 4-12 team and ultimately led to Reid's ouster from Philly."

Now I think a reasonable person would conclude from that, I believe that HIRING JUAN CASTILLO, an OL coach who had no experience on the D side, had something to do with Reid's Philly demise.

A reasonable person would not conclude that firing Sean McDermott meant that Reid had no alternative ut to hire Teflon Juan as DC, especially given that all this took place after the season, when coaches were available, not midseason as you incorrectly stated.  Therefore a reasonable person would not conclude that I believe firing McDermott led to Reid's demise; it would be illogical to conclude that.

This kind of straw man is exactly why so many here hold back from engaging with you.  You genuinely know a lot about the Bills, and about football, and I respect that...but you sometimes appear far more interested in "poking the bear" or ***** stirring than in actually having the solid discussion of which you are capable.

My bad about the timing of the McDermott firing though.....it was right after the season............he was replaced by the promotion of Juan Castillo though..........which is hilarious and certainly looks like utter disrespect for the coaching acumen of McDermott.  In hindsight.

Thank you for that acknowledgement.  Actually, one rumor was that far from being "utter disrespect" for McDermott's coaching, McDermott actually was asked on the way out who he would recommend as his successor at DC and made a persuasive and convincing argument for giving Castillo a chance.  He certainly praised Castillo afterwards.

Belichick had a bad record in Cleveland the better part of 30 years ago.    I can't believe we still hear that nonsense though.    Irrelevant.   He was rebuilding an organization at a time when turnarounds were harder.......before widespread free agency created a league without a repeat champion in 15 years........and he didn't have a good situation at QB and his final season was undermined by the team announcing their move to Baltimore.  

But even in Cleveland he created the blueprint and processes used by a Ravens organization that has since won 2 SB's and really never lost that identity.

So the whole "his record without Brady" stuff is just jibber-jabber from bitter folk.    

I don't know about "jibber jabber from bitter folk" I don't find it's particularly useful to psychoanalyze other people's emotions (Heh.  If I did...)

But we agree about the futility of drawing conclusions about Belichick as a HC based on his record in Cleveland.  People (including coaches) do learn and grow.

39 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Wasn't Juan an OL coach or something? If I remember right he was....weird to fire your DC and replace with a OL coach that sucked I might add.

Yes, that is correct.  Castillo was the OL coach of the Eagles for something like 12 years, from which one might reasonably conclude that they didn't think he sucked.

He was DC of the Eagles for 1.5 yrs, and is the one who was fired as DC mid-season.

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes, that is correct.  Castillo was the OL coach of the Eagles for something like 12 years, from which one might reasonably conclude that they didn't think he sucked.

He was DC of the Eagles for 1.5 yrs, and is the one who was fired as DC mid-season.

Is that the most classic example of cronyism? Worse than Rex hiring his brother.

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Guess I should have clarified, Meant he sucked as a DC lol

It will be interesting to see how this team (and the fans) respond after the Pats take the division lead on Thursday with what should be another (easy) win against the Falcons.

Obviously the Patriots can do this by default since they haven't had their bye week yet but if the Bills lose to the Colts on Sunday you get the sense this is they will likely be out of the division lead for good once again looking up at the Pats.

And if this scenario plays out the Bills go from likely #2 seed all the way to the #5 seed at best which could mean another meeting with the Chiefs in the first round of the playoffs and one and done.

Hard to fathom this situation a month ago but not unexpected given the offseason the Pats had and a 6 time SB winning head coach looking to send a message to the rest of the league this year.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

It will be interesting to see how this team (and the fans) respond after the Pats take the division lead on Thursday with what should be another (easy) win against the Falcons.

Obviously the Patriots can do this by default since they haven't had their bye week yet but if the Bills lose to the Colts on Sunday you get the sense this is they will likely be out of the division lead for good once again looking up at the Pats.

And if this scenario plays out the Bills go from likely #2 seed all the way to the #5 seed at best which could mean another meeting with the Chiefs in the first round of the playoffs and one and done.

Hard to fathom this situation a month ago but not unexpected given the offseason the Pats had and a 6 time SB winning head coach looking to send a message to the rest of the league this year.

jesus...you're highfootballiq.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

There should only be one response to this:

giphy.gif

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This, especially when it started with @PatsFanNH saying "Every one of the Patriots wins was against an above .500 team..... That’s simple facts" when the "simple facts" show that the Patriots in fact have 3 of their 6 wins against bad teams, plus as you say, beat up on the Browns without their star RB Nick Chubb and with an injured (then out) Mayfield.

There are other metrics for how difficult a win is to achieve for a given team in a given week than the opponent's W-L record.  In the meantime, You Are what Your Record Says You Are.

Kudos to Belichick and the Patriots for putting together a 6-4 season with a rookie QB.  Good for them!  In the meantime, I guess if it makes a Pats fan feel better to come on a Bills message board and spout nonsense about how "every one of the Patriots wins was against an above 0.500 team" being a fact, whatever.

The Bills are on to Indianapolis, which is IMO a far bigger challenge than their 5-5 record would suggest, and a "test" for the Bills defense which was unable to stop the combination of a strong rushing attack and a sufficient passing game against the Titans.

The Pats get to play the Atlanta Falcons, who IMO are a far weaker opponent than their 4-5 record would suggest, but any given Sunday....

This.

The same "look at his record when he was with...." argument could be used to discredit our coaches as well.

Bill Belichick is a great coach, which is why it's somewhat puzzling that he resorts to some of the shady things he has done - but he's still a great coach.  The fact that he gets the Star treatment from the refs and that previously, he has owned Sean McDermott's soul, just makes him more dangerous.

Why am I not shocked you either misunderstood or just blatantly misquoted me!?  But again for the people in the back.. the wins against Cleveland, Carolina, and the Chargers were against above .500 teams and teams with actual playoff aspirations. I never said ALL their wins.

I have also said repeatedly we don’t know who the Bills are because they haven’t faced many teams like that.. outside of TN and Pitt. Which is to small a size make a decision either way. 

the Falcons NOW are a weak opponent but someone facing them healthy in say week 3 faced a tough team who had the potential make the playoffs. Injury has dismantled that team. 

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

Its amazing the negative thoughts in your head. You are like an anti-Bills fan or something.  You don't even write this negative garbage as if it could happen.  You write it as if it's set in stone that it will happen.

8 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Its amazing the negative thoughts in your head. You are like an anti-Bills fan or something.  You don't even write this negative garbage as if it could happen.  You write it as if it's set in stone that it will happen.

do you recognize who he is?  it's kind of his thing.  i think it was last year or the year before where he was playing the same game with miami.  dude loves the attention.

I caution any fan with thinking a win is easy especially  on Thursday night which has produced some of the most unpredictable results since those games started. Home teams have something close to a .700 win rate on Thursday's. I think NE should be favored, but ATL is 4-5 and their offense at points has done some things. If we have learned anything from this season across the NFL its that nothing is a sure thing and the unexpected has been all over the place.

Edited by corta765

53 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Why am I not shocked you either misunderstood or just blatantly misquoted me!?  But again for the people in the back.. the wins against Cleveland, Carolina, and the Chargers were against above .500 teams and teams with actual playoff aspirations. I never said ALL their wins.

I have also said repeatedly we don’t know who the Bills are because they haven’t faced many teams like that.. outside of TN and Pitt. Which is to small a size make a decision either way. 

the Falcons NOW are a weak opponent but someone facing them healthy in say week 3 faced a tough team who had the potential make the playoffs. Injury has dismantled that team. 

First, you literally said "Every one of the Patriots wins was against an above .500 team"

Second both Cleveland and Carolina are garbage pretenders.  You act if they are serious contenders.  They are not.  You played the Browns in the same state as you are saying about the Falcons... injure riddled.  The Chargers was a good win even though I think they are figured out.

You don't give us credit for KC why?  You are going to say the team is/was having issues right?  So are the Browns and Carolina.  

I know who the Bills are.  They are a team that made the AFCC game last season.  They are a team still in the running for that.  In their wins they have blown out every team.  In their losses it was a one score come down to the wire game.

As I said earlier.  None of it matters. Teams play who they play.  You act as if the Pats have played some gauntlet and the Bills have played the Jets every week.  Couldn't be further from the truth.  Its been pretty equal no matter how you try to spin it.  Come back on Bills-Pats game day and talk this trash.  We play the Colts this week.  You play Atlanta this week.

5 minutes ago, teef said:

do you recognize who he is?  it's kind of his thing.  i think it was last year or the year before where he was playing the same game with miami.  dude loves the attention.

HighFootballIQ is my guess.

19 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Just being realistic, I don't see the Pats losing on Thur therefore they will take the division by default until at least Sunday.

Bills win they obviously jump back into first place but if they lose again not unrealistic to assume they lose grip on the division lead for good this season given the Pats current upward trajectory and lingering questions still out there about the Bills and who exactly they are. And if they lose to the Colts on Sunday there are no more lingering questions and we will know they are frauds once and for all.

26439877-24A7-4262-A67D-85B83C45A56F.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I hate to be that guy, but I got so much **** from a LOT of people on this board for predicting Mac Jones was going to be a problem. The guy is and has always been deadly accurate since college. I'm in no way rooting for him, I hope he busts, but w/ ALL of that said, the Pats aren't going to overtake us. They have a good defense but it's not even in the same stratosphere as Bills. We are better than them in every phase of the game.

2 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I hate to be that guy, but I got so much **** from a LOT of people on this board for predicting Mac Jones was going to be a problem. The guy is and has always been deadly accurate since college. I'm in no way rooting for him, I hope he busts, but w/ ALL of that said, the Pats aren't going to overtake us. They have a good defense but it's not even in the same stratosphere as Bills. We are better than them in every phase of the game.

This is a homer take at best, outside of QB/WR/Secondary I don't believe we are better at any position and in most cases the Pats are markedly better across the board.

Also one major advantage still being overlooked is HC where they hold a distinct advantage and it's not even remotely close and this why I don't like our chances in two high stakes games in December where Belichik's teams have proven to be near invincible in years past.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

🙄

That's a real stretch of reading incomprehension.  Let's look at what I actually said:

"It is of course true that Reid promoted Juan Castillo, his OL coach, to DC, and the reasons why Reid made that decision are a puzzle for the ages.  It took the Eagles from a 10-6 team who had been to the playoffs 3 years running, to an 8-8 then a 4-12 team and ultimately led to Reid's ouster from Philly."

Now I think a reasonable person would conclude from that, I believe that HIRING JUAN CASTILLO, an OL coach who had no experience on the D side, had something to do with Reid's Philly demise.

A reasonable person would not conclude that firing Sean McDermott meant that Reid had no alternative ut to hire Teflon Juan as DC, especially given that all this took place after the season, when coaches were available, not midseason as you incorrectly stated.  Therefore a reasonable person would not conclude that I believe firing McDermott led to Reid's demise; it would be illogical to conclude that.

This kind of straw man is exactly why so many here hold back from engaging with you.  You genuinely know a lot about the Bills, and about football, and I respect that...but you sometimes appear far more interested in "poking the bear" or ***** stirring than in actually having the solid discussion of which you are capable.

Thank you for that acknowledgement.  Actually, one rumor was that far from being "utter disrespect" for McDermott's coaching, McDermott actually was asked on the way out who he would recommend as his successor at DC and made a persuasive and convincing argument for giving Castillo a chance.  He certainly praised Castillo afterwards.

I don't know about "jibber jabber from bitter folk" I don't find it's particularly useful to psychoanalyze other people's emotions (Heh.  If I did...)

But we agree about the futility of drawing conclusions about Belichick as a HC based on his record in Cleveland.  People (including coaches) do learn and grow.

Well see you gotta be careful how you itemize your "deductions".    You want to call me out on my take about McD being fired mid-season......calling it a gouge........when in fact being PERMANENTLY replaced by Juan Castillo is actually more damning of the opinion of McD's acumen than just an interim gig.    That's why I misremembered it.   It's mind boggling.......but at one time a future HOF HC thought Juan Castillo was a better permanent option than McD.:lol:

Meanwhile you intentionally and unnecessarily  framed it like McDermott was a big key in Andy Reid's success.   Like "they made the playoffs when McD was the DC but then not after".   In fact, the Eagles were probably the NFC team of the "oughts".   Reid reached 5 NFC title games before McD became DC.   He was knocked out of the WC round both years McD was DC.  As we know........when you are contending for SB's as often as they were.........regular season records and playoff "appearances" aren't the standard anymore.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.