I hate to say it … but the Pats are coming

dave mcbride

2 minutes ago, Success said:

Kind of a stretch.  Mac has been a game manager - a very accurate game manager, but they put him in that position. It's excellent coaching, but the idea that he's going to move up and down the field w/ "little resistance" is wild speculation.  Not really based on anything.

I'm not saying the Pats are going to come in and score 30+ points against us but Belichik is going to look at the Titans tape and see what Tannenhill and Vrabel did and run something similar because that's what he does.

And the style of offense the Pats run can definitely give the Bills defense problems especially in the redzone where they have TE's and RB's that are capable of exploiting this defense.

At the end of the day though I still don't trust this defense is truly elite because of the sample size and mostly terrible, inexperienced QB's we've played thus far. Mac Jones may also be inexperienced but isn't playing like it in recent weeks.

8 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Mac Jones is on pace to set the rookie record for completion percentage, and over the last month has been graded out as one of the best QB's in the league.

Also Panthers are #2 ranked defense behind the Bills and Browns #5 overall, he beat both those teams handily.

Again, I think a lot of fans are in for a rude awakening when Jones and the Pats come into Buffalo and move the ball up and down the field with little resistance and show why he's a completely different animal than the likes of Mike White/Davis Mills/etc.

Completion percentage doesn't mean much in a nickel and dime game plan.

This was said earlier in the season but not much has changed...

Per Next Gen Stats, Jones is averaging just 5.6 air yards per attempt, the fifth-lowest mark in the league. Jones also has been one of the most conservative quarterbacks in the league on throws of 10-plus air yards, with 15 attempts, 2.78 seconds average time to throw and 16.5 air yards per attempt (all bottom 10 in the NFL).

I think he is also 31st in average depth of target.

As for your rude awakening... if the Bills win will you eat crow and shut up with the negative garbage for at least that week?

9 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I'm not saying the Pats are going to come in and score 30+ points against us but Belichik is going to look at the Titans tape and see what Tannenhill and Vrabel did and run something similar because that's what he does.

And the style of offense the Pats run can definitely give the Bills defense problems especially in the redzone where they have TE's and RB's that are capable of exploiting this defense.

At the end of the day though I still don't trust this defense is truly elite because of the sample size and mostly terrible, inexperienced QB's we've played thus far. Mac Jones may also be inexperienced but isn't playing like it in recent weeks.

Its also telling that you keep saying you don't trust this defense based on who we faced but give all this credit to the Panthers D who hasn't exactly faced an offensive powerhouse either other than Dallas who put up 36 points on them.

1 hour ago, Success said:

I watch quite a bit of Patriots football.

Against the Browns, Jones had more time in the pocket than I've probably seen this season, for any QB & team.  He had the real luxury of time. It made me envious, because Allen never gets that. If Allen had that kind of protection, he'd be setting records.

There have been other games that NE had where protection broke down. Not surprisingly, Jones wasn't as good when that happened.  He was actually pretty bad.

Just about any QB can look good behind a good line.  Not taking anything away from Jones, since he has been good for a rookie - but that was what NFL scouts expected him to be.  He was the most ready to step in and start, but low upside.  I haven't seen much to change that.  The hype is over the top - it wouldn't be like that if he didn't play for NE (only if he played for the Cowboys & was doing the same).

Exactly. When Allen gets that rare clean pocket when he sort of stands still and scans the field, u know he's going to make a big play. It's tough. I hope the Bills go O-Line in the draft and sign a big name in free agency. 

But I do think it takes more than a good offensive line to make a good QB. Look no further than Baker Mayfield. You still need to know how to scan the field and read a defense. I'm not so sure than Mac Jones has hit his ceiling yet. I think he can become a Kirk Cousins type player given time. 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Same can be said for the Pats defense as well, are they good enough to stop us for a whole game. I just don't see mac jones being able to score enough to beat the bills.

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

Mac Jones is on pace to set the rookie record for completion percentage, and over the last month has been graded out as one of the best QB's in the league.

Also Panthers are #2 ranked defense behind the Bills and Browns #5 overall, he beat both those teams handily.

Again, I think a lot of fans are in for a rude awakening when Jones and the Pats come into Buffalo and move the ball up and down the field with little resistance and show why he's a completely different animal than the likes of Mike White/Davis Mills/etc.

Yah will see which fans are in for the rude awakening 

Lets start hoping he gets worse!

Mac Jones Vs Josh Allen - first 10 starts.

Jones          Allen

Per. 69.0 %        53%

yds 2,333          1,655

TD  13                 6

int   7                  9

QBr 94.1             68.2

10 minutes ago, Sugar High JA17 said:

Jones          Allen

Per. 69.0 %        53%

yds 2,333          1,655

TD  13                 6

Mac Jones was a finished product when he entered the NFL. Many years of the best coaching, training, teammates, and facilities. 

Josh Allen was a completely raw prospect with a ton of room to grow. 

comparing their first season and implying that Mac Jones’ trajectory could follow Josh Allen’s is ridiculous. 

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Sugar High JA17 said:

Jones          Allen

Per. 69.0 %        53%

yds 2,333          1,655

TD  13                 6

Torture numbers and they’ll admit to anything. The context behind them matters however, and in this case, Josh had a burning tire fire of a roster with the Bills carrying 50+mill of Whaley bloated dead money to purge his rookie season! Conversely, Mac is the beneficiary of an unprecedented free agency spending spree by the Hoodie to accompany his rookie year with—seriously, you can’t be serious about this being a legit sample size comparison given the roster differential per rookie year. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

8 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

Mac Jones was a finished product when he entered the NFL. Many years of the best coaching, training, teammates, and facilities. 

Josh Allen was a completely raw prospect with a ton of room to grow. 

comparing their first season and implying that Mac Jones’ trajectory could follow Josh Allen’s is ridiculous. 

He was the 5th qb picked this year. Numbers and wins dont lie

2 minutes ago, Sugar High JA17 said:

He was the 5th qb picked this year. Numbers and wins dont lie

If he was so awesome then why did 4 teams over look him? He's looking pretty darn good & you and all the people on this site, who hate to admit it are in denial

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

What’s sad is trying to troll Bills fans about a rookie season comparison that’s blind to what Josh/Mac had to work with—or would you say the rosters were comparable? 

Im a huge bills fan, not a troll, just a guy who hates the patriots as much as anything! I post facts and call it how i see it. Jones looks really good up to this point and the #'s define that

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Sugar High JA17 said:

Im a huge bills fan, not a troll, just a guy who hates the patriots as much as anything! I post facts and call it how i see it. Jones looks really good up to this point and the #'s define that

In my world that is not a troll, its a open-mind without favoritism

Edited by Sugar High JA17
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Angry 1
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, Sugar High JA17 said:

I’m really not trying to give you a hard time, I just think saying Mac is going to be as good as Josh or better, by just pointing to Josh’s rookie year for comparison, misses the point of what was going on with Bills in 2018, is all. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I’m really not trying to give you a hard time, I just think saying Mac is going to be as good as Josh or better, by just pointing to Josh’s rookie year for comparison, misses the point of what was going on with Bills in 2018, is all. 

misses the point of what was going on with Bills in 2018

Look at the Patriots last year & that mess too

Facts are Mac is the better QB 10 games in... thats it

So what we got Josh & will kick the pats a** for years to come no matter if/when mac gets better

• Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.